[comp.society.futures] Interesting article from USENET

bzs@bu-cs.bu.EDU (Barry Shein) (12/14/87)

From: carlos@jplpro.JPL.NASA.GOV (Carlos Carrion)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc
Subject: Knowledge Gap
Date: 7 Dec 87 23:42:46 GMT

	We all are familiar with the concept of a Generation Gap, or
a Wealth Gap.  But I think that a more ominous concept creeping up on society
is the idea of a Knowledge Gap of which one could say the Technology Gap
is but a subset.

	In these days it is not unusual to find people who can't read, who are
afraid of technology (even afraid of information), who mistrust technocrats,
and who resist change.  Precursors to ill-fated movements are fear and mistrust
and that is exactly what we have.  I find myself thinking more and more that
there are two kinds of people emerging from the masses: those who understand
technology and those who don't.  To put it more exactly: those who understand
computers and those who don't.  These two groups are separating and one of
them is growing in numbers, unfortunately it is the one that is more dangerous.

	I have these "visions" of mobs of people tearing down all that is
technological and progressive.  All because of fear.  Maybe these visions
are unfounded, but it seems to me that our society, whether by choice or ac-
cident, is producing such pressures to conform, such pressures to please and
entertain the lowest common denominator, that we have in our hands a Knowledge
Gap among our society which is becoming, in my opinion, dangerous.

	What is the solution?  I don't know if the momentum can be stopped.
We all are so involved in immediate gratification, in the so-called "throw-
away" lifestyle ingrained into our minds, in making money, that sometimes
it becomes hard to step back and look around.

	Part of the fault lies with us.  Since we are "keepers" of the
technology, we have a responsibility to disseminate our knowledge.  We
have to TRY to stop thinking of ourselves alone and think of the future.
Not the technological future, but the sociological future.  Society's
pressures are so great that our children don't stand a chance.  WE do.

	I didn't mean to sound depressing and without hope.  I do believe
there is a solution.  Our generation is the most educated generation in
the world, but the price we will have to pay might be unpayable.

Carlos Carrion, MS 301-250D, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena CA 91109
.. cit-vax!elroy!jpl-devvax!jplpro!carlos