[net.micro] Unix and user friendy systems

bryan@ihnet.UUCP (b. k. delaney) (05/09/85)

There seems to be this idea going around that  unix is not
user friendly, uses cryptic names for commands and
is hard for non computer types to learn.  Well this is simply
not true. For example what about all of those non programer
types who own Comodore 64 HOME computers?  The real problem with
unix is not unix, but very very very poor  documentation.
Hell most of the documentation I have seen on unix assumes
you have a Phd in Computer Science. As to my reference about the
Comodore 64, well, if you have never used a 64, go visit a
friend who has one and you will see what I am talking about.

					ihuxf!bryan
					Bryan DeLaney

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (05/10/85)

In article <228@ihnet.UUCP> bryan@ihnet.UUCP (b. k. delaney) writes:
>The real problem with
>unix is not unix, but very very very poor  documentation.
>Hell most of the documentation I have seen on unix assumes
>you have a Phd in Computer Science.

actually, most of the documentation is for a unix guru with a bad
memory.  the rest of it requires a translation into english.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

mwm@ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA (Praiser of Bob) (05/14/85)

In article <1364@watdcsu.UUCP> herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) writes:
>actually, most of the documentation is for a unix guru with a bad
>memory.  the rest of it requires a translation into english.

The docs in /usr/man don't need translating. The important docs (in
/usr/src) do need translating.

	<mike

In article <941@ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA> mwm@ucbtopaz.UUCP (Praiser of Bob) writes:
>In article <1364@watdcsu.UUCP> herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) writes:
>>actually, most of the documentation is for a unix guru with a bad
>>memory.  the rest of it requires a translation into english.
>
>The docs in /usr/man don't need translating. The important docs (in
>/usr/src) do need translating.
>
>	<mike

	I disagree in part. We have a BSD 4.2 system here, and the
/usr/man documentation for the new features(especially sockets) is
horrendous. I hope I never have to try and write code using these
features, at least not unyil I am at a site with a source licence
so that I can look at real code using them.

--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen

ian@utcs.UUCP (Ian F. Darwin) (05/23/85)

>>actually, most of the documentation is for a unix guru with a bad
>>memory.  the rest of it requires a translation into english.
>
>The docs in /usr/man don't need translating. The important docs (in
>/usr/src) do need translating.

I've had this argument with others before. The man pages are meant
as short summaries for human beings who know how to read and who
believe that words mean what they say. The source code is written
for dumb computers to interpret.

Keep this in mind when people say that the source code is easier
to read than the manuals; they're written for a different audience.
--
Ian Darwin, Toronto	uucp: {ihnp4|decvax}!utcs!ian
Envoy-100: I.Darwin	Bitnet: ian@utoronto

munck@mitre-bedford.ARPA (05/26/85)

  Aha, at last a clear statement of what drives me crazy about C and
UNIX.

> The man pages are meant as short summaries for human beings ...
> The source code is written for dumb computers to interpret.

If you read that without a twinge, you're part of the problem.  Source
code SHOULD BE written for human beings, who are its most frequent and
expensive readers, and secondarily for a very specialized, very
infrequently-used (in comparison to the total amount of computing done)
program called a compiler.  Certainly in UNIX, where programs are meant
to be read, understood, and changed by many people, the former
consideration should weigh much more heavily than the latter.  Yet they
use C, which has to be mentally translated by the most guru-ie of wizards.

   In my opinion, the language that best supports writing of superbly
human-readable programs at no significant expense in machine efficiency
is Ada.  I doubt that anyone will challenge that...
               -- Bob Munck, MITRE

gwyn@BRL.ARPA (VLD/VMB) (05/27/85)

Ada??  You gotta be kidding..

There is NO programming language that can force coders to write good
code.  Good programming is possible in C and not even as difficult as
in many Pascal-based languages.  Ditto for bad programming.  Sort of
like a sports car, isn't it?

g-frank@gumby.UUCP (05/28/85)

> Ada??  You gotta be kidding..
>
> There is NO programming language that can force coders to write good
> code.  Good programming is possible in C and not even as difficult as
> in many Pascal-based languages.  Ditto for bad programming.  Sort of
> like a sports car, isn't it?

   No, C is a lot more like a dune buggy with no features, no accessories,
and no way to keep even a moderately good driver from ultimately breaking
his neck.

--
      Dan Frank

	  Q: What's the difference between an Apple MacIntosh
	     and an Etch-A-Sketch?

	  A: You don't have to shake the Mac to clear the screen.