[comp.society.futures] Knowledge Gap? More like Fear gap

basicstud%oak.DECnet@PINE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU ("OAK::BASICSTUD") (12/17/87)

  I think the real problem is not a gap in knowledge, but the fear so many
people have of technology.
  That fear has been around a long time. And when technology starts to advance
more rapidly, you just get more people afraid of it faster. Fortunately, not
everyone is afraid, or allows themselves to be dominated by the fear.
  An interesting example is a discussion some BBS users had locally, about AI.
The question was whether or not an AI could have a soul. But most everyone
(except those fairly experienced in programming) seemed to think that an
AI could never be any more than a machine, and thus couldn't even be called
intelligent. During the discussion, at least several people seemed to show
some kind of general dislike towards machines (complaining about robots used
in car manufacture, etc.) That sort of state of mind about technology is the
real problem.
  What is probably going to happen is that over a period of time, when the new
generation starts to become more dominate in society, the gap will start to
close. But, at the same time, new technological developments will occur that
will form a new gap, etc etc etc.

(Jeff Mercer)
------

bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (12/17/87)

I think fear is a loaded word meant to disparage those who would resist
the one true cause.

It assumes that the technology is obviously beneficial and being
applied in only positive ways for the good of all. Therefore, any
resistance to this brave new world is "obviously" the result of
irrational fears.

What about uses like typing pools which now go on machines which
monitor keystrokes? Or bureacracies which leave both the bureaucrat
(who is not necessarily evil in intent) and the customer helpless to
get their goals acheived because of an intractable computer (I
remember arguing with the phone company because I overpaid one bill
and hadn't paid another yet [I think I accidently paid one twice] so I
asked if they could simply transfer the overpayment to the other
account, of course not, there's no button to push to do that, we
both agreed this was stupid.)

One might write it off to "bad use of technology", but isn't that
inevitable? For example, can we write off 50,000 automobile related
deaths to "bad use of automobiles" and wash our hands of it?

	-B

fay@encore.UUCP (Peter Fay) (12/18/87)

In article <8712161659.AA25561@bu-cs.bu.edu> "OAK::BASICSTUD" <basicstud%oak.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu> writes:
>[...]
>intelligent. During the discussion, at least several people seemed to show
>some kind of general dislike towards machines (complaining about robots used
>in car manufacture, etc.) That sort of state of mind about technology is the
>real problem.
[...]
>(Jeff Mercer)
>------

No, the real problem is not "that state of mind about technology", but
the social use of the technology. And of course, if the social use of
technology is determined (in general) by the ownership of that
technology (e.g. Ford owns the robots which replace the welders on the
assembly line), then the root of the problem is really ownership. The
'fears' are neither irrational nor unfounded. They derive from the
fact that technological advances in this society are first and
foremost applied to the workplace to detriment of the worker. Is the
reaction of the populace so hard to understand?  After all, it has
been going on for hundreds of years, starting with the Ludites in
England at the beginning of the industrial revolution who went around
burning down factories, to the formation of labor organizations in
England 150 years ago to protect against the introduction of new
machinery which _repeatedly_ brought with it longer working days and
less pay, to this century in the U.S. where miners struck continually
to prevent introduction of new mining equipment, dockworkers struck to
prevent container cargo, autoworkers fought (successfully) to delay
introduction of robots, farmworkers struck to stop introduction of
tomato pickers, ad infinitum.

The computer is one more advance in technology. It, in itself, is
harmless.  But it's effect in society is no less harmless than a robot
on an assembly line.

--
			peter fay
			fay@multimax.arpa

nebezene@ndsuvax.UUCP (Todd Michael Bezenek) (12/22/87)

In article <8712161659.AA25561@bu-cs.bu.edu> "OAK::BASICSTUD" <basicstud%oak.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu> writes:
>  An interesting example is a discussion some BBS users had locally, about AI.
>The question was whether or not an AI could have a soul. But most everyone
>(except those fairly experienced in programming) seemed to think that an
>AI could never be any more than a machine, and thus couldn't even be called
>intelligent.

I should think that the opposite would be the case here.  I have found
that people who do not have any experience with artificial intelligence
programming techniques (This should be interpreted as "anything that
has been used in AI".) are generally more willing to believe in the
possiblity of a computer consciousness.

   What does this say about the knowledge gap?

--
Todd M. Bezenek			   --=---+---=--
				          \___