[comp.society.futures] Bad technology

rupp@cod.NOSC.MIL (William L. Rupp) (12/18/87)

In article <8712170231.AA01234@bu-cs.bu.edu> "OAK::BASICSTUD" <basicstud%oak.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu> writes:

   >  Technology itself isn't bad, it's the misuse of it. As long as their are
   >corporations and businesses to make money off of technology, there will be
   >problems in how it is used by said entities.  .....

Please clarify.  Does this mean that it is only privately owned companies that
abuse technology?  If that is what you mean, please explain why technology
is so frequently abused by governments such as the Soviet Union, where enormous
amounts of money go into a super-abundance of nuclear arms which siphon off
funds desperately needed to improve the living standards of its citizens.

(I use the U.S.S.R. only as an example.  One could cite many other cases of
government abuse of technology.  Many times these abuses are not done out of
ill-will, but out of good intentions.  The point is, private companies have
no monopoly in this area.)

Bill
I speak for myself, and not on behalf of any other person or organization
.........................How's that, Gary?

allard@bnl.ARPA (Rick Allard) (12/23/87)

In article <8712170231.AA01234@bu-cs.bu.edu> "OAK::BASICSTUD" <basicstud%oak.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu> writes:

>  Technology itself isn't bad, it's the misuse of it. As long as their are
>corporations and businesses to make money...
>(Jeff Mercer)

There is a criticism of technology that is closer to the core of the
problem.  "Misuse" is almost by definition bad.  Technology is
complicated and made by humankind.  Not knowing the full implications,
either as they tie to other technologies or as they have far (in the
future) reaching effects, as we race ahead driven by business motives,
is a more important problem.  Technological decisions can have much
more weight.
	Agriculture and movable type where technological events that
changed the world around a bit.
	This reminds me that some House committee on this 200th
anniversary is putting out some words on technology and the
Constitution.  Now I'll look into that again, especially if someone
prompts me.

Rick
--
ooooooooooooootter#spoon in bowl