[comp.society.futures] Forecasts '87 and beyond

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (12/18/87)

In article <2234@dasys1.UUCP>, patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) writes:
> From "Outlook '87 and beyond", published by the World Future
> Society, 4916 St. Elmo Ave., Bethesda, Md. 20814. The
> forecasts come from "The Futurist" magazine.
>
> *    An airplane in every garage may soon be possible.
>      Lightweight materials such as plastics and aluminum
>      can reduce the cost of manufacturing, making
>      possible affordable, fuel-efficient "personal
>      planes."    --WT&F/Technology, Jan/Feb '86

This must be for a parallel timeline...not ours.

What with product liability suits, crowded airways, safety
fears, and a widespread impression that pilots are generally
nothing more than the rich playing with their toys, this is
about as likely to happen as any of the past post-war
flying booms.  (No smiley.)

On the other hand, maybe they're talking about France or
Australia.

	seh

chris@MIMSY.UMD.EDU (Chris Torek) (12/18/87)

	From: concertina!fiddler%sun.com@bu-cs.bu.edu  (Steve Hix)

	What with product liability suits, ... this is
	about as likely to happen as any of the past post-war
	flying booms.  (No smiley.)

You are right about the liability suits.  However, there *was* a
big post-war flying boom after WWII.  Indeed, that is what built
most of the small airports that are still here today.

Chris

MANDEL@KL.SRI.COM (Thomas F. Mandel) (12/18/87)

Steve Hix (concertina!fiddler@sun.com) critisizes the forecast
of an inexpensive airplane in every garage...

This is not so far-fetched or absurd as it might seem.  If you
interpret such airplanes to include all sorts of new kinds of
flying craft from hot air balloons to hang gliders to low-powered
aircraft (derived from hang gliders), it is entirely possible
to see widespread existence of such personal recreational
technology within the foreseeable future.

In every garage, no.  But as commonplace as, say, recreational
vehicles, yes.

In a futures study I did for the Bureau of Land Management
in the 1970s, we identified new kinds of personal flying
equipment as very likely to boom during the then-next 20 years.
I'm still quite comfortable with that projection.

--Tom Mandel	mandel@kl.sri.com

[My views, of course, and not necessarily my employers...]
-------

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (12/22/87)

In article <36846@sun.uucp> fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) writes:
>In article <2234@dasys1.UUCP>, patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) writes:
>> From "Outlook '87 and beyond" ...
>>
>> *    An airplane in every garage may soon be possible.
>>      Lightweight materials such as plastics and aluminum
>>      can reduce the cost of manufacturing, making
>>      possible affordable, fuel-efficient "personal
>>      planes."    --WT&F/Technology, Jan/Feb '86
>
>This must be for a parallel timeline...not ours.

I also choked on this one, but for different reasons.  What got me was the
line about "Lightweight materials such as plastics and aluminum ... ".
Just what do these turkeys think airplanes are made of these days?  The
vast majority of production light aircraft are already made of aluminum
and plastic and have been since well before I got my licenses (pilot and
mechanic, both about 20 years ago).  This reads more like a prediction
from the '20s or '30s than the late '80s.

BTW, an airplane in every garage has been "possible" since airplanes were
invented.  It just isn't very likely, due mostly to economic and logistic
infeasibility.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@TTI.COM)   Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                           Carborundum

dhp@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Douglas H. Price) (12/25/87)

> >In article <2234@dasys1.UUCP>, patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) writes:
> >> From "Outlook '87 and beyond" ...
> >>
> >> *    An airplane in every garage may soon be possible.
> >>      Lightweight materials such as plastics and aluminum
> >>      can reduce the cost of manufacturing, making
> >>      possible affordable, fuel-efficient "personal
> >>      planes."    --WT&F/Technology, Jan/Feb '86

I wish it were true that personal aircraft would get significantly cheaper...
Unfortunately, the cost of aircraft is dominated by a number of relatively
inflexible critera today:

1.	Certification.  It costs 1-2 million dollars to certify a new airplane
	design today; A LOT MORE if it is to be used for air carrier type
	operations.  Thats why most small airplanes flying today are flying
	on certificates granted in the late 40s and early 50s.  It also means
	that aircraft are not built using "labor-saving" techniques.  Even the
	production techniques for a particular aircraft (wing jigs, parts specs,
	etc) are part of the certification, and even a simple improvement in
	production materials, parts or procedures may endanger your type certificate.

2.	Liability insurance.  The cost of a new Cessna 172 in 1985 (single engine,
	four seat Chevy-of-the-skies) was about 85,000 dollars.  Despite a proven
	safety record (as far as manufacturer's defects are concerned) it cost
	$25K for Cessna's liability insurance **PER HULL**.  Last year, the insurance
	carriers announced that the cost of liability insurance for small aircraft
	would be DOUBLED.  This raised the consumer cost of a simple 172 to over
	$120K  That's why Cessna has suspended production of their basic aircraft
	and trainers.  This part of the bill is the only one amenable to a "quick
	fix."  Such changes have been considered in Congress for the last couple
	of years.

3.	Aviation hardware. It costs $10K for the radio stack, $12K for the engine
	(including the engine manufacturer's liability insurance).  Airplanes
	are not like cars, where if you don't like the sound of the engine you
	can just pull over to the side of the road.  On the other hand, just
	stamping the word "aviation" on a piece of equipment means you can double
	or triple the price.  As has been pointed out in rec.aviation, the
	electrical alternator and regulators in some aircraft today are normal
	GM auto parts.  But, because the have been "certified", they cost four
	times as much as the part at the local car parts dealer.  And, you can't
	just substitute in the auto parts.  The FAA will revoke the
	flight-worthiness certificate of the aircraft if they find out.

	On the other hand, some of the specialty parts, such as aviation radios
	have their development and certification costs amortized across a relatively
	small production run (in the 10s of thousands).  We as consumers, are used
	to items that have their production costs amortized across a production
	run of millions.

4.	The remainder of the dealer cost is  the "actual" cost of building the
	hull.  If we are talking about a "new" airplane (new type certificate) then
	we must amortize the cost of item 1 (plus interest) across the production
	run of the airplane.  If we are talking about a run of 10,000 airplanes
	in 10 years (not an unreasonable number) this amounts to a $150-500 bill
	per airplane.

In conclusion, I, as a pilot, would LOVE to have a new $30,000 four seat
production airplane I could buy like a car, but I don't expect I will see it
soon, if ever.  The continuing need to improve safety, and the litiguous
nature of our culture (read product liability suit) will prevent it.

--
						Douglas H. Price
						Analysts International Corp.

dm@BFLY-VAX.BBN.COM (12/31/87)

Maybe they meant ultra-lights -- I wouldn't fly one to work in the
winter, but it would sure make the commute more fun in nice weather...