[comp.society.futures] Sci-Fi vs. SF

basicstud%oak.DECnet@PINE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU ("OAK::BASICSTUD") (12/27/87)

  If I remember correctly, it was a Science Fiction publish who first coined
the term Sci-Fi, which was a play on the popular term Hi-Fi that was used "way
back then" instead of the word stereo...
  In itself, it is pretty inoffensive. I think the problem with the term is
that a lot of people, especially non-SF fans, have a tendacy to put science
fiction and fantasy, along with other strange writings, into the genere of Sci-
Fi, even though they are different types of fictions.
  I personally prefer the term SF, simply because it is a more direct, shorter
abbreviation of Science Fiction. It also does help make it clearer to someone
that the book I am telling them about does not fall into the "Battle Star
Galactica Adventure #23" catagorey...
------

smith@COS.COM (Steve Smith) (12/29/87)

In article <8712270213.AA12871@bu-cs.bu.edu> "OAK::BASICSTUD" <basicstud%oak.decnet%pine.circa.ufl.edu@bu-it.BU.EDU> writes:

>  If I remember correctly, it was a Science Fiction publish who first coined
>the term Sci-Fi, which was a play on the popular term Hi-Fi that was used "way
>back then" instead of the word stereo...

As I understand it, the term "sci-fi" was coined in a _TV Guide_ article
by Forrest J. Ackerman (_Fangoria_, _Famous Monsters_).  Personally, I
find the term to be mildly offensive, but not worth getting upset over.
I know some people who foam at the mouth at it.

It provides a useful example of something that *some* people get bent
out of shape over, where most people couldn't care less.

How much effort do you think that it's worth to avoid offending the
"sci-fi" haters?

Think about it occasionally, when otherwise intellegent people just
*won't* see why your own cause is so important ...
--
                           __
 -- Steve          /      /  \      /         "Truth is stranger than

alexande@drivax.UUCP (Mark Alexander) (01/06/88)

"Sci-fi ["skiffy"]: it sticks to the roof of your mind."
		--Joe Haldeman
--
Mark Alexander	...{hplabs,seismo,sun,ihnp4}!amdahl!drivax!alexande
"Bob-ism: the Faith that changes to meet YOUR needs." -- Bob