[comp.society.futures] What's the future of the mainframe?

bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (03/06/88)

The mainframe seems to be getting more threadbare as each year passes.
Typical mainframes these days (eg. IBM3090) deliver about 30MIPs per
processor, 1..6 processors and large memory systems which remains
somewhat, but not very, impressive. Certainly with the advent of
20+MIPs chips from manufacturers like Sun and Motorola it won't be
long before those cpu/memory configurations will be available on
machines in the $250K or less price range (I beleve Arrete just
commited to parallel processing on the SPARC, Encore is certainly
moving towards these speeds, others, including MIPS [the company] are
moving a hair's breadth away.)

Of course, in the mainframe market there's a lot more than mere
central processing performance. You have I/O speed which is critical,
reliability and a vendor who will back it all up in many different
ways. It's on these latter points that a company like IBM wins big.

But what percentage of the computing growth needs mainframes anymore?
Back in the days of the 370/168 with its 2MIPs and 4MB of memory it
seemed like you needed a mainframe to do much anything and a lot of
people cling to that mentality. I have no doubt that JC Penney's or
MasterCard need these machines, but what about the zillions of other
people who bought IBM back when it was the only thing that would
handle their few hundred thousand records (perhaps a few dozen
megabytes) and don't realize that today you could process that kind of
data on a relatively modest processor?

I realize that a lot of these folks keep buying these beasts due to
their own software investment and you can't really expect a vendor
like IBM to maintain a 10-year old system, so roll in the next model,
what choice is there.

One big backpressure of course is the need for distributed
computation, these days every local department expects to be able to
have some of their own computes rather than just telecom to the
mainframe. A friend in the biz who handles some Wall St accounts
claims that the bigger and bigger mainframe approach is collapsing
under its own weight. The systems are too complicated, growing them is
putting more and more eggs in a bigger and bigger basket, the systems
analysts are feeling seriously out of control of their own systems.

Does distributing help? It's not clear, but it's there and the current
star topology approach (ie. one big mainframe with all the critical
data and a bunch of lesser, second-class-citizen local processors)
isn't fitting in. Dogs wag tails, tails wag dogs.

Even on the academic campus more and more people I speak to seem to be
frustrated enough with the centralized approach (even the modest
time-sharing systems) to computing that they would rather deal with
less than deal with the bureaucracies these large "data centers"
inevitably grow to become.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (03/07/88)

in article <8803052348.AA21708@bu-cs.bu.edu>, bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) says:
> The mainframe seems to be getting more threadbare as each year passes.
> Typical mainframes these days (eg. IBM3090) deliver about 30MIPs per
> processor, 1..6 processors and large memory systems which remains
> somewhat, but not very, impressive.

> But what percentage of the computing growth needs mainframes anymore?
> people who bought IBM back when it was the only thing that would
> handle their few hundred thousand records (perhaps a few dozen
> megabytes) and don't realize that today you could process that kind of
> data on a relatively modest processor?

Well. Let's see. At educational price levels, a IBM 3090 goes for about $6
million.  $6,000,000. Assuming base-line Suns, at $10,000 apiece (average
cost, after distributing server costs), you could get 600 Suns for that same
price. 600 users.  Or, if we look at, say, Pyramids, which certainly can
handle everything that a IBM mainframe can handle, at least up to 500mb...
average cost, maybe $250,000 apiece (this was 4 years ago, mind you). 4 per
mil. 24 for 6 mil. Can handle over 720 users that way, at 30 users apiece.
But what do you get for your $6M? Well: You get a line editor that imitates a
page editor that imitates a screen editor. You get an operating system less
sophisticated than CP/M, and much more complex. You get a system that can
handle, maybe, 300 users. Frankly, I don't see why anybody would buy an IBM
3090, unless they needed access to absolutely huge databases that exceed the
size of most minicomputer disk packs (e.g. the 1 gigabyte supereagles).

> Even on the academic campus more and more people I speak to seem to be
> frustrated enough with the centralized approach (even the modest
> time-sharing systems) to computing that they would rather deal with
> less than deal with the bureaucracies these large "data centers"
> inevitably grow to become.

Most academic campuses today are still stuck in the 60's, as far as computing
center policies go. That is, their policies are based upon MINIMIZING use of
the computing facilities, because back in the 60's, computing facilities were
a rare and expensive resource. Most of them are having extreme difficulties
adjusting to times where a $6M mainframe can handle the entire contingent of
CS students online all at the same time, especially now that the CS rush of
the early 80's (which produced a temporary problem with computer availability
at most colleges) is over and CS enrollments have dropped back down to a more
reasonable level.  With all that equipment bought to handle the rush still
around. E.g. what do you do with a practically unused VMS cluster, when you
just bought a brand new 3090 and your professors prefer Unix on a bunch of
Pyramids and Encores? Most colleges are still set up for handling, "I have 600
CS students clamoring for access to a 120 user system", instead of "I have 600
CS students, and systems capable of handling 600 users".

Note that I don't include Crays and other supercomputers as "mainframes",
because they're not general-purpose computers. Although I think Crays are
pretty neat, and when I'm a multibillionaire I'll have one for every room :-).
After all, on what other computer can you say that GNU Emacs is a small
process?!

--
Eric Lee Green  elg@usl.CSNET    Snail Mail P.O. Box 92191
{cbosgd,ihnp4}!killer!elg        Lafayette, LA 70509

"Human evolution ended when civilization began".

jmckerna@polyslo.UUCP (John L McKernan) (03/08/88)

In article <3614@killer.UUCP> elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) writes:
>Note that I don't include Crays and other supercomputers as "mainframes",
>because they're not general-purpose computers. Although I think Crays are
>pretty neat, and when I'm a multibillionaire I'll have one for every room :-).
>After all, on what other computer can you say that GNU Emacs is a small
>process?!

I think a definition of mainframes which excludes "supercomputers" is overly
narrow these days. All mainframe really means is maximum computing power with
maximum memory. The reason supercomputers are not general purpose is because
general purpose uses have no need of a modern supercomputer's power. It's
cheaper and cleaner to use a minicomputer as a front end. Since the demand for
increased power and memory is essentially infinite forever, the demand for
mainframes is essentially infinite forever.

I realize that current usage does make a distinction between mainframe and
supercomputer, but I don't see any more real meaning in that distinction
than the difference between a car and an automobile. Pre-emptive flame strike:
Anyone who disagrees with this is being hopelessly dogmatic and bound to a
usage with little regard for its meaning.

John L. McKernan.                    Student, Computer Science, Cal Poly S.L.O.
Servant's gossip in Aillas's castle: "Have you heard the latest?, GREEN jewelry
                                  is the new fad among the ladies of the court."

vespa@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Adam Alexander Margulies) (03/09/88)

>Pre-emptive flame strike:
>Anyone who disagrees with this is being hopelessly dogmatic and bound to a
>usage with little regard for its meaning.
>

>John L. McKernan.                    Student, Computer Science, Cal Poly S.L.O.

what? WHAT? A supercomper == mainframe!?! HARDLY, Mr. John L. McKernan.
Supercomputers are much more computery! Jeesh. Some people.

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (03/10/88)

in article <1461@polyslo.UUCP>, jmckerna@polyslo.UUCP (John L McKernan) says:
> narrow these days. All mainframe really means is maximum computing power with
> maximum memory. The reason supercomputers are not general purpose is because
> general purpose uses have no need of a modern supercomputer's power. It's
> cheaper and cleaner to use a minicomputer as a front end. Since the demand for
> increased power and memory is essentially infinite forever, the demand for
> mainframes is essentially infinite forever.
2

The reason supercomputers are not general purpose is simply that they aren't.
A general purpose mainframe handles hundreds of users doing all sorts of
things.  A Cray handles maybe 20 users, running huge number-crunching
programs. It's like me trying to say that my Colecovision is a computer.
After all, it has a microprocessor, right? But, it simply performs a totally
different task. A Cray isn't going to handle 300 users running various and
sundry, and your typical mainframe isn't going to run math-oriented programs
anywhere near as fast as a Cray. And my Colecovision isn't going to challenge
the Commodore 64 as king of low-cost computers -- for one thing, it has no
keyboard :-).

If there is a falling-out in the mainframe market, as users discover they can
do things cheaper with smaller computers, the sales of Cray Research won't be
hurt one tiny bit....

--

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (03/12/88)

In article <3614@killer.UUCP> elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) writes:
> ... Frankly, I don't see why anybody would buy an IBM
>3090, unless they needed access to absolutely huge databases that exceed the
>size of most minicomputer disk packs (e.g. the 1 gigabyte supereagles).

I happened to meet the manager of Northrup Corporation's supercomputer
resources at a party a few months ago.  She told me they use a 3090 as the
front-end processor for their Cray (and it can barely keep up).

Most super-minis these days have the same 4 gigabyte virtual address space
as the mainframes.  The main difference seems to be in the raw processing
power (mips) that can be brought to bear on a single process, as opposed
to multiple users. 600 Suns are fine for 600 users with relatively modest
DP requirements, but if you need to get the payroll for 300,000 employees
printed out tonight, because payday's tomorrow, you'd better have a machine
that can run that one program in the time available.

Of course, a hypercube parallel processor could probably do the job as fast
as you could feed it the data, but that's another discussion.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@TTI.COM)   Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                           Carborundum

larry@tapa.UUCP (Larry Pajakowski) (03/12/88)

The future of large mainframes is I/O in particular disk or DASD in IBM
parlance.  The place where I work ( a fortune 100 co.) is adding about 10 DASD
devices each month.  I'm not sure of the size but most likely over 1gb. each.

Try running a large room full of 1gb. disks from your micro !

	Larry