[comp.society.futures] 2010

fbaube@NOTE.NSF.GOV (Fred Baube) (02/27/88)

Isn't it inevitable that somewhere along the way Jupiter will
undergo stellar ignition ?

I read somewhere that Jupiter could have been a star, if only the
same quantity of matter were more compact, creating higher
internal pressures.

I'm assuming that there is a chemical process that is exothermic
(i.e. creating a net energy output, or breaking even, but not
requiring an energy *input*) that can process the constituents
of the Jovian atmosphere into denser products.

If this is the case, then won't some biotek jock invent the bug
that will perform this process ?  And if it's invented, won't
some wise guy let it loose ?

More philosophically, isn't any process that increases entropy
bound to occur, no matter how great the scale, so long as people
can evade the XEPA (Xeno-Environmental Protection Agency) ?

jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") (03/02/88)

In article <8802261606.aa19896@note.nsf.gov> fbaube@NOTE.NSF.GOV (Fred Baube) writes:
>Isn't it inevitable that somewhere along the way Jupiter will
>undergo stellar ignition ?
No it isn't. Jupiter does not have nearly enough mass.

>I read somewhere that Jupiter could have been a star, if only the
>same quantity of matter were more compact, creating higher
>internal pressures.
Internal pressure does not make a star - high temperature does. Jupiter could
be considered a stellar object only if its internal temperature increased to
the point of commencement of Nuclear Fusion. There is no known way for this to
occur without considerably more mass.

>I'm assuming that there is a chemical process that is exothermic
>(i.e. creating a net energy output, or breaking even, but not
>requiring an energy *input*) that can process the constituents
>of the Jovian atmosphere into denser products.
Chemical compounds do not exist (for the most part) in stars - stellar
temperatures are too great. In any case, I don't think there is any such
possible process.

>If this is the case, then won't some biotek jock invent the bug
>that will perform this process ?  And if it's invented, won't
>some wise guy let it loose ?
What an idea! I'll fly off to Jupiter and turn it into a star! I'll be
famous... :-)

>More philosophically, isn't any process that increases entropy
>bound to occur, no matter how great the scale, so long as people
>can evade the XEPA (Xeno-Environmental Protection Agency) ?
Not necessarily. Dropping a Nuclear Bomb on New York will increase entropy, but
it does not necessarily have to happen. Do you honestly think that anything
that increases the amount of disorder in a system must occur?

John
    John DiMarco           Hard work never killed a man ...
jdd@csri.toronto.edu          ... but it sure has scared lots of them!
{uunet!utai,watmath!utai,decvax,decwrl,ihnp4}!utcsri!jdd      jdd@utcsri.UUCP

Geoffrey_Welsh@watmath.waterloo.edu (03/03/88)

 > From: fbaube@NOTE.NSF.GOV (Fred Baube)
 > Date: 26 Feb 88 21:05:57 GMT
 > Isn't it inevitable that somewhere along the way Jupiter will
 > undergo stellar ignition ?

   I think not. Not nearly enough mass.

 > I read somewhere that Jupiter could have been a star, if only the
 > same quantity of matter were more compact, creating higher
 > internal pressures.

   But the mass would be more compact (have higher internal pressures)
only if there were much more mass surrounding it.

   It's also been said that, if Jupiter's inner atmosphere wascomposed
of carbon, there'd be a diamond the size of the Earth down there.

   RE: inventing an ignition method for Jupiter & some "wise guy" setting
it loose: look at the atom bomb & carry the analogy. Derive your own
conclusions.

 > More philosophically, isn't any process that increases entropy
 > bound to occur, no matter how great the scale, so long as people
 > can evade the XEPA (Xeno-Environmental Protection Agency)

   Stellar ignition decreases entropy (more mass in less volume because
the atoms become more complex), so it must be decidedly exothermic to
perpetuate. It would still require input of a huge amount of energy.

   Geoff ( watmath!fido!221.171!izot )

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: The Waterloo Window: WOC's out there? (1:221/171)

hdunne@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu (|-|ugh) (03/04/88)

In article <1988Mar2.125820.352@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> jdd@db.toronto.edu
("John D. DiMarco") writes:

}>More philosophically, isn't any process that increases entropy
}>bound to occur, no matter how great the scale, so long as people
}>can evade the XEPA (Xeno-Environmental Protection Agency) ?

}Not necessarily. Dropping a Nuclear Bomb on New York will increase entropy, but
}it does not necessarily have to happen.

Wouldn't be a bad idea though. :-)

Hugh Dunne        |  UUCP: ..{cmcl2,ihnp4,seismo!noao}!arizona!amethyst!hdunne
Dept. of Math.    |     Phone:      | ARPA:     hdunne@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu
Univ. of Arizona  | +1 602 621 4766 | Bitnet:   hdunne@arizrvax
Tucson AZ  85721  | +1 602 621 6893 | Internet: hdunne@rvax.ccit.arizona.edu

fbaube@NOTE.NSF.GOV (Fred Baube) (03/09/88)

> I don't think anybody really knows what a bi-solar system would do to
> the planets, but I have a good feeling that it would make mars a hell
> of a more desirable place to live.

I wouldn't bet on it !  Assuming that the new sun is not as
strong as the original (how strong *would* it be ?), most of the
time on Mars you might not even notice any effects on the plane-
tary environment, until that time every 1.2 or so Mars-years,
when Jupiter *did* warm the planet, causing some sort of chaos.

Then again, it might qualify as some sort of season, and any life
that evolved, or that we released, would adapt to it and take
advantage of it, probably by re-arranging reproductive cycles.

On Earth, when seasons change, the net energy flow to Earth is
still a constant, and here we're talking about wide variations in
that flow.  And, since Mars has no oceans and little atmosphere,
these effects would not be moderated, nor would the additional
energy be stored for long, so one could expect some pretty loopy
weather.

Then again, maybe the lack of oceans and near-lack of atmosphere
mean that the temperature would go up, but not much else would
happen !

jps@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jeff P Szczerbinski) (03/24/88)

In article <8803081408.aa10335@note.nsf.gov> fbaube@NOTE.NSF.GOV (Fred Baube) writes:

>> I don't think anybody really knows what a bi-solar system would do to
>> the planets, but I have a good feeling that it would make mars a hell
>> of a more desirable place to live.

I'm not all that knowledgable about physics and the theory behind
a double-star system but I would have to say that life as we know
it on Earth would either end or come to a very distinctive change.
Jupiter itself would be exerting a greater gravity.  Its orbit
would also change because of this and possibly orbits of many of the
others in the solar system.  Better to ask this question of someone
on sci.astro.

					Aloha,

						Jeff

Jeff Szczerbinski Univ. of Wisc. - Milwaukee -- Computer Services Division
jps@csd4.milw.wisc.edu                                     +1 414 332 3033
"Anarchy -- Its not the law, its just a good idea!"

dbb@aicchi.UUCP (Burch) (03/28/88)

In article <5361@uwmcsd1.UUCP> jps@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jeff P Szczerbinski) writes:
>In article <8803081408.aa10335@note.nsf.gov> fbaube@NOTE.NSF.GOV (Fred Baube) writes:
>>
>>> I don't think anybody really knows what a bi-solar system would do to
>>> the planets, but I have a good feeling that it would make mars a hell
>>> of a more desirable place to live.
>>

>I'm not all that knowledgable about physics and the theory behind
>a double-star system but I would have to say that life as we know
>it on Earth would either end or come to a very distinctive change.
>Jupiter itself would be exerting a greater gravity.  Its orbit
>would also change because of this and possibly orbits of many of the
>others in the solar system.  Better to ask this question of someone
>on sci.astro.
>
>					Aloha,
>
>						Jeff
>
>Jeff Szczerbinski Univ. of Wisc. - Milwaukee -- Computer Services Division
>jps@csd4.milw.wisc.edu                                     +1 414 332 3033
>"Anarchy -- Its not the law, its just a good idea!"

HOLD THE BOAT!

There are one or two problems with the above;

1. Jupiter is Over 4 AU from the Earth on the average day.  If it were
   converted into an M5 red dwarf by some supertechnology, it would not
   be more bright than two magnitudes brighter than the full moon.

2. Just the starting of fusion would not change Jupiter's gravity, save
   that it would shed mass as time went by.  I would not expect to have
   much that we could observe in the way of celestial mechanics.

3. Mars has about a two year period.  Jupiter has about an 11 year period.
   this means that Mars will only be near Jupiter about every three
   years, (Is this the synodic period of Jupiter from Mars?  I'm a little
   fuzzy this (sunday) morning...)

Have fun!

--
-David B. (Ben) Burch
 Analysts International Corp.

"Argue for your limitations, and they are yours." - R. Bach