[comp.society.futures] Help Fulfill a dream!

csrobe%icase.arpa@BUITA.BU.EDU (Charles S. Roberson) (03/30/88)

I came across this where I work and thought it was worth passing on.
My appologies for posting something out of context with this list,
but I felt compelled.  [Maybe somebody could set up a Make-A-Wish
mailing list, that helped terminally ill children fulfill dreams.
Could it work?]

A little effort can go a long way!

"...and they told two friends, and they told two friends..."
-chip

>From: tsuchiya@gateway.mitre.org (Paul Tsuchiya)
To: tcp-ip@sri-nic.arpa
Subject: world record

 Read this on internal MITRE mail, thought I might pass it on........

   David is a 7 year old boy who is dying from cancer.
   Before he does, he has a dream of one day being in the Guiness Book of
   Records for the person who has had the most postcards sent to him.
   If you would like to help David achieve his dream, all you have to do is send
   a postcard to him as soon as possible.
   Send to :
              David
              c/o Miss McWilliams
              St. Martin de Porres Infant School
              Luton,
              Bedfordshire
              England       **DON'T FORGET TO SIGN YOUR NAME**

Paul F. Tsuchiya		The MITRE Corp.
tsuchiya@gateway.mitre.org	7525 Colshire Dr.
703-883-7352			McLean, VA 22102 USA

bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (03/31/88)

The current information is that although this is probably not a hoax
the request for postcards ended around Xmas, so save yourself and
the hospital the time and trouble and ignore it.

Also, info-futures is not the appropriate place to post such a
message, no matter how worthy you felt the cause was. There are
announcement lists etc for such things.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

ethanol@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (Evan A.C. Hunt) (03/31/88)

In article <8803301340.AA03573@work1.icase> csrobe%icase.arpa@BUITA.BU.EDU (Charles S. Roberson) writes:

>  David is a 7 year old boy who is dying from cancer.
>  Before he does, he has a dream of one day being in the Guiness Book of
>  Records for the person who has had the most postcards sent to him.

	This really isn't very relevant to this newsgroup/mailing list,
and I'm sorry for continuing the topic, but I feel that I should warn
people--this request for postcards is almost certainly bogus.  I've
seen this item at least seven times over the last three years.  It's always
exactly the same; the details never vary.  "David" has been a 7-year-old
boy dying of cancer for at least three years and possibly much longer.
Furthermore, I recall reading on the net that there's no such person
at the address given, though I confess I don't recall the exact details of
that article.
	Anyway, it's a sham, and you can spend your money on postage
if you want to, but I wouldn't.

	Evan A.C. Hunt			ethanol@ucscc.ucsc.edu

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (04/01/88)

In article <8803301340.AA03573@work1.icase> csrobe%icase.arpa@BUITA.BU.EDU (Charles S. Roberson) writes:
>I came across this where I work and thought it was worth passing on.
>
>   David is a 7 year old boy who is dying from cancer.
>   [ Usual story about postcards, Guinness, etc.]

This is getting ridiculous.  This is the third or fourth one of these I've
seen this month.  In four years of reading the net I've probably seen it
over a dozen times.  Don't people ever learn?

One more time:

This is a hoax.  It is an urban legend.  There is no category for most
postcards received in the Guinness Book of Records.  David does not exist.
(If he did, he'd be well into his teens, if he hadn't been crushed to
death by the weight of postcards already recieved).

Please stop spreading this on the net, especially in inappropriate
newsgroups.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@TTI.COM)   Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                           Carborundum