[comp.society.futures] UUCP to USSR?

jaap@cwi.nl (Jaap Akkerhuis) (03/03/88)

You can of course be paranoia about the reasons why there isn't
regular uucp-traffic to the CCCP, but the most likely reason is
that it is next to impossible to call directly from the CCCP to
the west or the other way around.

	jaap

xchar@mtunb.ATT.COM (Charles S. Harris) (03/16/88)

In article <437@sering.cwi.nl> jaap@cwi.nl (Jaap Akkerhuis) writes:
> You can of course be paranoia about the reasons why there isn't
> regular uucp-traffic to the CCCP, but the most likely reason is
> that it is next to impossible to call directly from the CCCP to
> the west or the other way around.

Another reason is that it is next to impossible to type
  uucp CCCP   without making an error.

       Charles S. Harris        ihnp4!mtunb!xchar
       AT&T, Room 1L-205        201 576-3757
       307 Middletown-Lincroft Road
       Lincroft, NJ  07738

seida%martin-den.ARPA@BU-IT.BU.EDU (Steven Seida) (03/17/88)

There seems to be a lot of discussion recently about whether or not you
can direct dial to the Soviet Union.  Seems to me somebody ought to
just ask their local operator about it;  the phone company is bound to
know if their lines connect with the lines in the USSR (and if the protocols
are compatible).

Or better yet, somebody spring for the quarter and give it a try!

hmj@tut.fi (Matti J{rvinen) (03/25/88)

I've followed this UUCP-USSR discussion and I do not understand why
a) it is going on. Is somebody from USSR requesting for connection? IF NOT, WHY
   BOTHER? As far as I know, new sites connects to the net, not vice versa. Have
   anybody even asked them if they want to connect to the net?
b) if they want to connect, why should anybody prohibit it? Certainly you cannot speak
   about free world, if some people are restriced from the net because of their
   nationality (not all of them are communists and even if they were, so what?).
   There are not any kind of national secrets going on the net. (And if there are,
   those sending secrets around the world should be arrested anyway.)

Lastly, some areas of USSR are reachable by automatic phone calls, some are not.
--
Hannu-Matti Jarvinen, Tampere University of Technology, Finland
hmj@tut.fi, hmj@tut.uucp, hmj@tut.funet (tut.ARPA is not the same computer).

kenf@aplcen.UUCP (7784) (03/28/88)

According to AT&T it is not presently possible to direct
dial from the US to the USSR.  One can however direst
dial to other eastern block countries.
             Ken Firestone

doug@isishq.UUCP (Doug Thompson) (03/29/88)

 UN>why
 UN>a) it is going on. Is somebody from USSR requesting for connection?
 UN>IF NOT, WHY
 UN>   BOTHER? As far as I know, new sites connects to the net, not
 UN>vice versa. Have
 UN>   anybody even asked them if they want to connect to the net?

Well -- yes -- and sort of -- and why bother? Well, why not? And
remember, the net is only so many machines, with so many owners and so
many administrators. Sometimes one or another of us gets these strange
urges :-)

For the most part Soviets don't even know about "the net". Once we do
get them linked it is bound to get **very** interesting :-)

Fido      1:221/162 -- 1:221/0                         280 Phillip St.,
UUCP:     !watmath!isishq!doug                         Unit B-3-11
                                                       Waterloo, Ontario
Bitnet:   fido@water                                   Canada  N2L 3X1
Internet: doug@isishq.math.waterloo.edu                (519) 746-5022

---
 * Origin: ISIS International H.Q. (II) (Opus 1:221/162)
SEEN-BY: 221/162

doug@isishq.UUCP (Doug Thompson) (03/29/88)

 UN>According to AT&T it is not presently possible to direct
 UN>dial from the US to the USSR.  One can however direst
 UN>dial to other eastern block countries.

Yeah but you can direct dial Australia, and Australia can direct dial
the USSR. Which means you just have to do a hop. And we're all doing
that all the time anyway.

daemon@uwmcsd1.UUCP (The devil himself) (03/31/88)

From: jps@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jeff P Szczerbinski)

I'm glad to see that there are those of you who believe in FREEDOM of
SPEECH, or in this case we should call it FREEMDOM of TYPING.  Argh!
I really fail to see why those that are sending so called secrets should
be arrested.  I could really get into this, but I'm not.

					Aloha,

						Jeff

Jeff Szczerbinski Univ. of Wisc. - Milwaukee -- Computer Services Division
jps@csd4.milw.wisc.edu                                     +1 414 332 3033
"Anarchy -- Its not the law, its just a good idea!"

marsh@linus.UUCP (Ralph Marshall) (04/06/88)

In article <5436@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, daemon@uwmcsd1.UUCP (The devil himself) writes:
> >   There are not any kind of national secrets going on the net. (And if there ,
> > are,  those sending secrets around the world should be arrested anyway.)
> From: jps@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Jeff P Szczerbinski)
>
> I'm glad to see that there are those of you who believe in FREEDOM of
> SPEECH, or in this case we should call it FREEMDOM of TYPING.  Argh!
> I really fail to see why those that are sending so called secrets should
> be arrested.  I could really get into this, but I'm not.
>
> 					Aloha,
>
> 						Jeff
>
> Jeff Szczerbinski Univ. of Wisc. - Milwaukee -- Computer Services Division
> jps@csd4.milw.wisc.edu                                     +1 414 332 3033
> "Anarchy -- Its not the law, its just a good idea!"

	Well, the problem is that if these things really are secrets, and
	not just poorly distributed facts, they will only be known by
	people with security clearances, or spies.  If you have a security
	clearance you have agreed in writing not to distribute them
	without proper authority. Failure to adhere to this agreement
	makes you subject to arrest on the grounds of treason, especially
	if you know what you are doing when you broadcast secret information.
	And clearly if you are a spy you are subject to arrest.

	The real question is not why should you be arrested for spreading
	information you have promised to keep secret, but why do you have
	to treat information as secret in the first place.  I personally
	feel that there are some things we should not reveal to our
	enemies, but then I don't have a signature that says:
	"Anarchy -- Its not the law, its just a good idea!"

--
NOTE: NOTHING I have said above is official MITRE policy.  In fact
they probably don't know I'm saying it, and certainly dont approve of