[comp.society.futures] Long distance monitoring + Help Fulfill a dream!

bct@its63b.ed.ac.uk (B Tompsett) (04/21/88)

 Those interested in the Monitoring of calls in the UK should read Douglas
Campbell's book "The unsinkable Aircraft carrier". The NSA has a major site
in the UK for monitoring. All microwave trunks are routed just near this site
(Menwith Hill to be precise) - the conclusion is that a major proportion (or
even all) of traffic from USA to the East and all UK traffic can be monitored.
The site is connected to the UK microwave trunk by underground waveguides.
HMG claims the book to be grossly inaccurate - read it and decide. Note that
as this NSA site is ex-terratorial it is not constrained by US regulations
on monitoring.
 HMG is funding speech recognition at both open academic and closed
government centres not unconnected with the common carrier.
Just thought you'd like to know.

In article <2215@ttidca.TTI.COM> hollombe@ttidcb.tti.com (The Polymath) writes:
>>   David is a 7 year old boy who is dying from cancer. [...]
>This is a hoax.  It is an urban legend.  There is no category for most
>postcards received in the Guinness Book of Records.  David does not exist.
>(If he did, he'd be well into his teens, if he hadn't been crushed to
>death by the weight of postcards already recieved). [... etc]

 Sorry. He does exists I have seen him. It was not a hoax. He was very sick,
but is now recovered. David is his fathers name. Send no more
postcards - this is an old appeal. He *is* being crushed under the weight of
postcards and wishes it would stop. [shades of The Sorcerer's Apprentice]
He will be in the next edition of the book of records - buy one and see for
yourself. [Sorry its the wrong group - I just wanted to be definitive.]