[comp.society.futures] Anarchist-bashing considered silly

jmckerna@polyslo.UUCP (John L McKernan) (04/19/88)

In article <8804132012.AA28195@snark.UUCP> harvard!rutgers!uunet!snark!eric@BU-CS.BU.EDU writes:
>There is no inherent contradiction between anarchy (absence of government)
>and lawfulness;

In general, a law which is not enforced does not exist.

John L. McKernan.                    Student, Computer Science, Cal Poly S.L.O.

r2371@tubvax.UUCP (Marcus Verwiebe) (04/21/88)

In article <1955@polyslo.UUCP> jmckerna@polyslo.UUCP (John L McKernan) writes:
>In article <8804132012.AA28195@snark.UUCP> harvard!rutgers!uunet!snark!eric@BU-CS.BU.EDU writes:
>>There is no inherent contradiction between anarchy (absence of government)
>>and lawfulness;
>
>In general, a law which is not enforced does not exist.
>
>John L. McKernan.                    Student, Computer Science, Cal Poly S.L.O.

What about E = mc^2 ?
This is a law, and no police or military is needed to enforce it.

In society, there are a lot of rules (one could say laws), which make
living together possible and which are maintained rather by a social
consense than enforced by central authorities. I think, anarchism
favourizes laws based on agreement and consense over laws based on
protection by corruptable powers.

In particular, this network depends on the the people following the
net.etiquette which is not and should not be enforced as a net.law.

--
---------Marcus-Verwiebe----------Berlin------------Phone---+49-30--345-41-41--
-UUCP--..pyramid!tub!tubvax!hex---from-the-world----BITNET--hex%tubvax@db0tui6-

bard@THEORY.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bard Bloom) (05/02/88)

> >In general, a law which is not enforced does not exist.
>
> What about E = mc^2 ?
> This is a law, and no police or military is needed to enforce it.

It seems well enforced to me, although not by police or military.  Just try
to break it and see what happens.

-- Bard the law-abiding gargoyle