[comp.society.futures] computer networks

KWALDMAN@WASH-VAX.BBN.COM (05/08/88)

	I'm wondering if there exists any type of "phone book" for computer
networks such as ARPA net etc.  Also does anyone know of a good discussion
group on economics?
thanks
karl

eder@ssc-vax.UUCP (Dani Eder) (05/11/88)

In article <8805072206.AA13360@bu-cs.bu.edu>, KWALDMAN@WASH-VAX.BBN.COM writes:

> 	I'm wondering if there exists any type of "phone book" for computer
> networks such as ARPA net etc.  Also does anyone know of a good discussion
> group on economics?
> thanks
> karl

In addition to the company telephone directory, Boeing now is producing
(in paper) en electronic mail directory.  The first edition, which
recently came out, does not yet include USENET addresses, despite there
being about eight Boeing computers which are USENET nodes.  This may
be because there is as yet no connection between USENET and the other
EMAIL networks in the company.

Out in the vast wilds of personal computers, there are many computer
buellitin boards which carry lists of other bulletin boards numbering
in the hundreds of entries.  Perhaps this qualifies as a network of
sorts.

Dani Eder/Boeing/Space Station Program

vancleef@han (Robert E. Van Cleef) (05/14/88)

In article <8805072206.AA13360@bu-cs.bu.edu>, KWALDMAN@WASH-VAX.BBN.COM writes:

> 	I'm wondering if there exists any type of "phone book" for computer
> networks such as ARPA net etc.  Also does anyone know of a good discussion
> group on economics?
> thanks
> karl

I don't have the phone number at work, but there is a national Email
directory with two 800 numbers (modem access).  One to use for maintaining
your directory information, at no cost to you, and the second for
looking up email addresses at some cost.  It is advertised in many
trade magazines.  If you can't find it any other way, I will try
to remember to bring in the information.

Bob
Bob Van Cleef 			General Electric Corporation
(415) 694-4366			NASA Ames Research Center
vancleef@Ames-NAS.ARPA		Mail Stop 258-6
{anywhere}!ames!amelia!vancleef	Moffet Field, CA 94035

vancleef@han (Robert E. Van Cleef) (05/19/88)

Here is the informatiuon, it is an online directory listing of Email users.
For more information:

	National Email Register
	3 Neshaminy Interplex
	Trevose, PA 19047

	MCI Mail: RHERFF
	Compuserve: 72147,126

To add yourself to the listings;
(800) 622-0505, 7 bit, Even parity, 1 stop bit - this is free

To inquire about others;
(203) 245-7720, 7 bit, Even parity, 1 stop bit - there is some charge for this.

You may use your credit card to pre-purchase 50 searches for $10 or
buy unlimited search rights for $95 per year.

---
Standard disclaimer - I ain't affiliated, just listed. - Bob

Bob Van Cleef 			General Electric Corporation
(415) 694-4366			NASA Ames Research Center
vancleef@Ames-NAS.ARPA		Mail Stop 258-6
{anywhere}!ames!amelia!vancleef	Moffet Field, CA 94035

harnad@mind.UUCP (Stevan Harnad) (05/24/88)

To Bob Morecock, Editor of Psychnet:

Bob, could I have a copy of your mailing list? If you want, you can have a
copy of mine, which is so far only 250 names long, and CVNet's vision list,
which you probably already have and is over 500 names long. [Peter Kaiser has
been kindly (and wisely) providing it for all (presumably qualified
professionals, for noncommercial, academic use).] I plan to use it to
communicate with BBS Editors and Associates, potential commentators, authors
and referees to circulate abstracts and receive referee reports and
commentaries.
        BBS itself has over 3000 Associates in filing cards and computer files,
but I haven't yet got most of their email addresses, and I'm
trying to collect them any way I can. (Also, many BBS Associates probably
don't have them yet, and I'm trying to encourage all to get and use them.)
        What we need is an academic email directory, jointly, for the
behavioral, cognitive, and bioneural sciences and related disciplines such as
computer science, linguistics and philosophy. (For the other disciplines too,
of course, but they cannot be my direct concern.) It occurred to me the other
day that this might be another mission  and mandate for Psychnet -- both to
create and make available such a directory and to actively lobby the
psychology and associated community to get involved in the medium.
        What triggered the idea was a notice on comp.society.futures about a
commercial email registry (National Email Register) that provides a
directory and searching for a fee to the commercial community. I have
no idea what proportion of the academic email community they have
listed, but it's ridiculous that access to email addresses -- an
underutilized, powerful resource in urgent need of expansion and
encouragement -- should be retarded by the need to pay for and access
a commercial service for a fee. It's as if people had not yet discovered the
virtues of the telephone, yet could only find one another's numbers if
they paid a fee.
        It might be a good idea to post this. I'll send it to some other
relevant newsgroups too. I'd be willing to cooperate in forming a
cognitive/biobehavioral email list in any way I can.
                    Stevan Harnad, Editor, Behavioral & Brain Sciences

--
Stevan Harnad	ARPANET:	harnad@mind.princeton.edu        or
harnad%princeton.mind.edu@princeton.edu    UUCP:   princeton!mind!harnad