From: Pat Sullivan <dca-pgs@ddn3.arpa>
Subject: ISDN and Pacific Bell's Project Victoria

This ad appeared in the 23 May 88 issue of Communications Week,, p. 25:

PROJECT VICTORIA - SPECIAL LICENSING OPPORTUNITY

Pacific Bell hereby announces its intention to license
others to make, use, lease, and/or sell Pacific Bell's proprietary,
patented multiplexing system known as Project Victoria.

Project Victoria enables a single, twisted copper pair in
a telephone company's local loop plant to simultaneously
transmit seven channels: two voice, one 9.6 data, and four
1.2 data channels. Although several aspects in the develop-
ment of this system currently remain uncompleted, Pacific
Bell strongly believes that significant business opportunities
exist for Project Victoria licensees given the current state
of this system.

More detailed information regarding the licensing of Project
Victoria will be made available by Pacific Bell at two half-day
seminars. They will take place on June 7 and June 21, 1988.
The seminars are free of charge and will be conducted at
Pacific Bell's offices located at 2600 Camino Ramon,
San Ramon, California. The seminars will not be repeated.

For additional information, or to reserve your seat at one
of Pacific Bell's seminars, please contact T. D. Walker
at (415)823-2772 NLT five working days before the seminar
you are interested in attending.

                         (end of ad)

This raises many questions, such as:

- Given that ISDN or at least ISDN metropolitan islands are expected
  near-term, why does PacBell think anyone would buy this or be able
  to make money with it? (Possible answer: this may not require a digital
  CO switch or SS #7?)

- Can the seven different channels be independently switched?
  It doesn't sound like it.

- Has PacBell looked at the effect that long holding times from
  full-period data will have on CO switches that weren't sized for that?
  This concern becomes acute if Victoria is supposed to be a CPE
  applique which will extend the usefulness of old plant.

When I first heard of Project Victoria, it was supposed to be
an "ISDN-like" demonstration capability at a time when standards
had not jelled and industry commitment to ISDN was uncertain.
Since then, ISDN standards have come a long way and industry
commitment appears to be solid, so I'm hard put to see what
Victoria could offer unless it would be a matter of breathing
new life into old plant without the capital-intensiveness of
ISDN. Any information from knowledgeable folks is requested and
would be greatly appreciated. (I wish they had scheduled a seminar
for the DC area.) I will summarize responses and furnish upon request.

                                  -Pat Sullivan
                                   Reston, VA.