[comp.society.futures] AI offers little clues about the mind

weemba@garnet.berkeley.edu (Obnoxious Math Grad Student) (06/11/88)

I have no idea who you are responding to.  Context would be nice.

In article <8806081622.AA05165@vlsi2.ee.ufl.edu>, jimmyz%oak
(Anubis The Psychic Chaos Metal Riffer Warrior) writes:

>What leads you to believe the human mind is not a complex computer?
>Computers of are current time have a level of complexity no human device
>has EVER achieved before, and they are just a granule of what the human
>mind is.  Or rather, the brain.

I for one do not believe that a Turing machine could ever emulate the
brain, for reasons having to do with quantum mechanics.

Real computers, of course, depend on quantum mechanics to work, but in
ways that can be abstracted out.  I expect only true quantum computers
will lead to machine intelligence.

>				 THe brain is undoubetedly a complex
>computer, but the mind is a non-tangible thing. Just as this VAX 8600 I
>am using now is a complex (supercomputers and the like aside) computer,
>but the programs I am using to send this message have absolutely no
>physical substance.  I'd say there is a heck of a lot of similarity.

"heck of a lot of similarity"?  "Undoubtedly"?  These are the words of
someone who has no argument and little imagination.  AI has not told
us a damn thing about how are minds work.

ucbvax!garnet!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/Brahms Gang/Berkeley CA 94720