[net.micro] DOS reentrency...

BILLW@SU-SUSHI.ARPA (Chops) (05/21/85)

I want to be able to have a background process read from a serial
port and write to disk occasionally.  DOS is not reentrant, although
there are supposed to be ways around this (Is there an example anywhere?).
The DOS documentation implies that the low numbered dos calls are
handled differently, that you can, for example, write to the console
even if you are in the middle of some other DOS call. My specific
questions are these:

	1) Is this true
	2) does it work the other way around (eg can I write to a fiel
	   while DOS is waiting for a character to be typed on CON:)

Thanks
Bill W
-------

jrv@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (05/21/85)

There was a long message on this subject about a month ago on info-ibmpc.
I'll try to dig up the reference.          - Jim Van Zandt

jrv@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA (05/26/85)

> There was a long message on this subject about a month ago on info-ibmpc.
> I'll try to dig up the reference.          - Jim Van Zandt

Here's the reference:
Info-IBMPC Digest       Sunday, 3 February 1985      Volume 4 : Issue 24
From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@USC-ISIB.ARPA>

I think you should be able to ftp this from the archives at usc-isib
(using an ANONYMOUS login).  Try the directory and file
	<INFO-IBMPC>Q1-DIGESTS-85

                                - Jim Van Zandt

greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (05/29/85)

In article <11042@brl-tgr.ARPA> jrv@MITRE-BEDFORD.ARPA writes:
>> There was a long message on this subject about a month ago on info-ibmpc.
>> I'll try to dig up the reference.          - Jim Van Zandt
>
>Here's the reference:
>Info-IBMPC Digest       Sunday, 3 February 1985      Volume 4 : Issue 24
>From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@USC-ISIB.ARPA>
>
>I think you should be able to ftp this from the archives at usc-isib
>(using an ANONYMOUS login).  Try the directory and file
>	<INFO-IBMPC>Q1-DIGESTS-85
>
>                                - Jim Van Zandt

Could somebody who has access at usc-isib please post to the net?
Thanks.

Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
              --------->{ihnp4 | vax135}!timeinc!greenber<---------

I highly doubt that Time Inc. they would make me their spokesperson.
------
"There's something wrong in the world. There's always been. Something no one
has ever named or explained" --- Francisco d'Anconia