[comp.society.futures] Did AI kill?

tws@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Thomas Sarver) (07/15/88)

--

The point that everyone is missing is that there is a federal regulation that
makes certain that no computer has complete decision control over any

I was a bit surprised Ted Jardine from boeing didn't bring this up in his
comment.

As for the other stuff about investing in an AI program:  I think there needs
to be sound, informed guidelines for determining whether a program can enter
a particular duty.  1) People aren't given immediate access to decision-making
procedures, neither should a computer.  2) however, there are certain
assumptions one can make about a person one can't make about a computer.
3) The most important module of an AI program is the one that says "I DON'T
KNOW, you take over."  4) The second most important is the one that says, "
I Think its blah blah WITH CERTAINTY X"   5) Just as there are military
procedures for relieving humans of their decision-making status, there should
be some way to do so for the computer.

But hey, its the best country in the world!
Thomas W. Sarver

"The complexity of a system is proportional to the factorial of its atoms.  One
can only hope to minimize the complexity of the micro-system in which one
finds oneself."
	-TWS

Addendum: "... or migrate to a less complex micro-system."