[comp.society.futures] forwarded mail

kolb@STORM-KING.NYSER.NET (07/18/88)

Date: Wed, 30 Mar 88 09:14:00 est
>From: kunis@nwboe1.BOEING.COM (gary_kunis)
To: schoff@nisc.nyser.net
Subject: greetings

Marty,

Things are going fairly smooth on the NorthWest Net front.  The Network is up
(both IP and DECnet) and no one is throwing large rocks at me yet.  I am, how-
ever, under seige here at Boeing.

I am attempting to design the Boeing Internet.  It will be a backbone supporting
four protocols (IP,DECnet,XNS, and the elusive ISO).  I am beset by people who
want to bridge the world, and by others who want only ISO (none of the ISO folks
are users, or represent any user groups, or have any useable products).  The real
problem is that these folks are my supposed supporters.  The real hostility comes
from the SNA and ISDN camps.

I am still waitingfor Jeff case to sent out the UT monitoring software.  On the
same front, there is alot of interest in it here at Boeing.  Do you have any
source and executables for a SUN?  If so, could you forward them to:

   nwnet@nwboe7.boeing.com (192.31.173.15)

Have you received you IBM gear yet?  How clever of IBM to make a Proteon Router
in 9 large components - why fill a shelf when you can fill a room?  Has anyone
from Merit present an "official" position on the use of EGP, making EGP and RIP
metrics semi-compatible, and back doors to ARPA.

                            Gary