[comp.society.futures] AI boards

Joe_Jurczyk@ohiont.UUCP (Joe Jurczyk) (08/23/88)

Greetings,
1. I was just wondering if there are any bbs' throughout the country
that are dedicated to AI (files and/or messages).

2. Secondly, and along the same lines, are there any AI echoes that
are available for a local sysop to carry ?

3. Thirdly, does anyone have any recommendations of good neural network
programs (commercial or public domain) for small-scale (i.e. personal
not commercial) use ?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

                                                Joe Jurczyk

---
 * Origin: OHIONet Express: ohiont.fidonet.org 216-241-6727 (Opus 1:157/512)
SEEN-BY: 157/512

--
Sent from the OHIONet Express Opus (157/512), the Cleveland Usenet Gateway

breen@SILVER.BACS.INDIANA.EDU (elise breen) (08/25/88)

I can recommend two neural net programs that are available at a reasonable
price:
        1) The Parallel Distributed Processing workbook (Rumelhart & McClell-
           and) out on M.I.T. Press comes with excellent software for
           the low price of $24.00 for everything.  The software can be
           run under DOS or UNIX and is easily reconfigured for any
           number of uses.  And of course, the workbook itself is in-
           valuable because it walks you through every stage of about
           seven different types of nets for different tasks.

        2) More expensive, and less well documented, the SIMNET program
           is available from Blair House Innovations, P.O. Box 7,
           Belcarra Park, Port Moody, BC  Canada  V3H 3E1.  It costs
           about $54.00.

The PDP workbook can probably be obtained off the shelf at any bookstore
with a largecomputing section, or could be easily special ordered.  It is
far more flexible for a person interested in pursuing a wide range of
net simulations and can't be beaten for the price.

Hope this helps!

*                                                                            *
* Elise M. Breen                              breen@silver.bacs.indiana.edu  *
* Dept of Linguistics                                                        *
* Lindley Hall                              breen@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu       *
* Indiana University                                                         *
* Bloomington, IN  47405                                                     *
*  "We are suspended in language in such a way that we cannot say which      *
*    way is up and which is down..."                                         *
*                                     ---Niehls Bohr                         *

goldfain@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (08/29/88)

The telecommunications/BBS community has coined the term "echo" for some
very specific activity.  Can anyone explain to me what this term means?

doug@isishq.math.waterloo.edu (Doug Thompson) (09/06/88)

In Message-ID: <40000002@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu>
goldfain@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

 g>The telecommunications/BBS community has coined the term "echo"
 g>for some
 g>very specific activity.  Can anyone explain to me what this term
 g>means?

It means "newsgroup". The Fidonet conference mail system began life with
surprisingly little contact with Usenet. Instead of adopting all the
same forms and terminology, the micro-computer "free" network set about
to re-invent the system from scratch.

"Echo" or "echo-mail" refers to the ability to "echo" a message to other
systems, such that any number of seperate sites can maintain more or
less identical message bases for the purpose of conferencing. "Echo"
when used in the singular generally means a specific echo-mail
conference. Echo-mail used in the general sense ususally refers to the
conference mail phenomenon in a general sense.

This conference/newsgroup/mailing-list is being "echoed" to fidonet, for
instance, by isishq, one of those systems that is connected to both
fidonet and usenet.

--
 Doug Thompson - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!doug