[comp.society.futures] Networks & Gov't

fbaube@NOTE.NSF.GOV ("F.Baube") (11/22/88)

From: Brad Templeton <mnetor!utzoo!utgpu!watmath!looking!brad@UUNET.UU.NET>

> Computer networks are going to become more than just the roads
> and phones and TVs of the future.   They will be the very foun-
> dation of society and commerce.

Indeed, an argument for universal access.

> The most fundamental realization we can make today is that no
> single entity can be allowed to control the networks. Particu-
> larly the government. If the government controls the networks,
> we will be *literally* one keystroke away from a police state.

Need it be so ?  I would expect any common carrier operating
within North American borders to transport data regardless of
whether it is encrypted.  It might be helpful to examine the
current state of affairs .. does anyone know if there are any
countries (perhaps including the US or Canada) that do not allow
the passage of encrypted communications in or out of the country
(except of course by "trusted users" like big banks).

Then the gov't could do no more than, say, impose "martial law"
by pulling the plug on a city that is in rebellion.  This is
not unthinkable; they want to use the National Guard now in DC
against drug areas.

#include <disclaimer.h>