[comp.society.futures] Accessing CompuServe

vancleef@garg..nas.nasa.gov (Robert E. Van Cleef) (11/23/88)

In article <1615@titan.sw.mcc.com> janssen@titan.sw.mcc.com (Bill Janssen) writes:

>The UUCP approach seems to be already here, in that a person
>may buy mail accounts on CompuServe and such, then run mail
>software on a PC to access the mailbox and transmit their
>mail.  (Actually, I don't know of any software that does this,
>because I'm PC-illiterate, but there must be *something*.
>Anyone know what it is?).

There are IBM PC two packages:
	AutoSIG - free software available on CompuServe in the
		  IBMCOM forum

	TAPCIS - shareware software available on CompuServe in
		 the TAPCIS forum

Both allow you to do all of your work (write messages, flag message
headers for reading, read messages) offline, with short batch runs
to interact with CIS.  My normal check for mail and messages takes
between one and two minutes of system access time.

There is also a MAC package called NAVIGATOR, but I don't know anything
about it.

Bob
Bob Van Cleef 			General Electric Corporation
(415) 694-4366			NASA Ames Research Center
vancleef@Ames-NAS.ARPA		Mail Stop 258-6
{...}!ames!amelia!vancleef	Moffet Field, CA 94035