[comp.society.futures] Who Controls The Network

nick@cs.hw.ac.uk (Nick Taylor) (11/30/88)

I am very puzzled by the attitude of some posters on the subject of who
controls the network. Surely Uncle Sam is held more accountable (to the
American public) than any other US institution? After all the government
has to go to the polls on a regular basis and renew its mandate from the
people. Whilst I share some of the doubts expressed about giving power
to the likes of Ed Meese and Dan Quayle, I respect the fact that they were
democratically elected to represent the American people. You get what you
elect! In a democratic society you have to accept the wishes of the majority.
If you want changes you must vote for them. If the policies you want are
not on the political agenda of the candidates you must put them there. If
need be stand as a candidate yourself. If you feel that your fellow citizens
are gullible enough to buy any policy which is wrapped up in expensive
wrapping paper then I suggest that you look long and hard at the education
system that results in this.

I, personally, have grave doubts about some of the politicians and policies
of my country but I would rather trust them, as elected representatives who
will have to account for their actions at the next election, than GEC, ICI,
BP, etc. over whom I have no direct control whatsoever. In fact, the only
control which I have over such large corporations is effected THROUGH the
government. What's more, in the case of large multinationals I not only
have to rely on MY government but also on YOURS (wherever you are from).

Now, who are these mythical users who are going to run and control the
network if Uncle Sam doesn't? Are they not the IBMs, AT&Ts, etc.? You surely
don't suppose that (assuming the American public are stupid enough to elect
a government with a totalitarian disposition, which I doubt) these companies
will not collaborate with the government if it means big bucks. There is,
and never will be, any room for altruism in a competitive environment. It
just doesn't pay!

If I were an American voter, rather than give up on Uncle Sam, I would look
to see how I could make the government more answerable to people and less
answerable to dollar bills. I am surprised that so many posters seem happy
to live in a country where they have no faith whatsoever in their government.
I further suggest that you have a duty to the international community to
ensure that your government truly reflects the hopes and aspirations of your
particular section of it. So, if you think it doesn't, get off your bum and
do something about it PDQ!

Nick Taylor
Department of Computer Science                JANET : NICK@UK.AC.HW.CS
Heriot-Watt University                      ARPANET : NICK@CS.HW.AC.UK
79 Grassmarket         /\    /  o    __   /_   UUCP : ...!UKC!CS.HW.AC.UK!NICK
Edinburgh EH1 2HJ     /  \  /  /   /     /__)   Tel : +44 31 225 6465 Ext. 491
United Kingdom       /    \/  (_  (___  /  \    Fax : +44 31 449 5153

vespa@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Adam Alexander Margulies) (12/02/88)

In article <2062@brahma.cs.hw.ac.uk> nick@cs.hw.ac.uk (Nick Taylor) writes:
>I am very puzzled by the attitude of some posters on the subject of who
>controls the network. Surely Uncle Sam is held more accountable (to the
>American public) than any other US institution? After all the government
>has to go to the polls on a regular basis and renew its mandate from the
>people. Whilst I share some of the doubts expressed about giving power
>to the likes of Ed Meese and Dan Quayle, I RESPECT THE FACT THAT THEY WERE
>DEMOCRATICALLY ELECTED TO REPRESENT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. You get what you
> . . .
[my emphasis]

	I do not believe that what we saw this election ( or any other
American election) was a democratic process at work. There are two
parties in this country, Brand X and Brand Y. They both are selling
slightly different social policies but the end result is the same.
The wealthy have their interests represented, other Americans do not.
The military-industrial complex gets its pound of flesh.

	In Indiana both Dukakis and Bush failed to register in time for
the election, yet they were on the ballot. In Missouri the libertarian
candidate, Ron Paul, registered late and received no such leniency.

I said, type it NOW, Adam!  ||       ||Adam Margulies                         |
                          \ ||_   /| ||ARPA:   vespa@ssyx.ucsc.edu            |
                            ||\`o_O' ||                                       |
                            ||  ( )  ||UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!vespa      |
----------------------------||--mU-m-||WEIRD:vespa%ssyx.ucsc.edu@RELAY.CS.NET |
|DISCLAIMER:                         ||ATT: (408)429-8868                     |
|       These are NOT my opinions. They are my dog's.                         |

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (12/05/88)

In article <2062@brahma.cs.hw.ac.uk>, nick@cs.hw.ac.uk (Nick Taylor) once
again drags out the tired old canard that our only choices (in this case,
on computer network provision), are Big Brother and Big Business.

I submit that the needs of computerdom would better be served by
small firms, competing and/or cooperating as dictated by their interests.

Actually, most "megafirms" only get to be megafirms thru help from
political powerwielders.  The only way even such a megafirm can achieve a
sustained monopolistic -- or even a sustained oligopolistic -- position
is through such political intervention.

There are cities where telephone service is competitive, and cities
where electricity provision is competitive.  You'd best believe that
prices are lower and service better in such cities.  The concept of
"a natural monopoly" is simply inaccurate.

Jeff Daiell

P. S.  In a later posting, an Adam Margulies talks about the dis-
crepancies between the way the two tax-subsidized parties are treated
and the way "third" parties are treated.  The example he used was
the Democans and Republicrats missing the deadline in Indiana, and
being placed on the ballot, anyway, whereas the Libertarians missed
the deadline in Missouri and were barred from the ballot.  What makes
this example all the more galling is that the deadline for "third parties"
in Missouri is 75 days earlier than that for the two government-
sponsored parties ... and a Federal appeals court ruled for Missouri,
despite a Supreme Court ruling against early deadlines for third
parties!

P. P. S.  On the idea of influencing via political action the
way a governmental compnet would be operated  ... many cities
and counties  operate transit lines.  When was the
last time an incumbent was defeated because the buses
or subways were late, dirty, missed runs, etc?  What
are the chances an officeholder would be in
electoral jeopardy because the compnet had lapses,
or was subject to unauthorized monitoring, or the like?
With market provision, providers would do a good job, or
have no job to do.

--
"Justice, like lightning, should ever appear
 To some men hope, to other mean fear."

                          -- Jefferson Pierce