bzs@PINOCCHIO.BERKELEY.EDU (Barry Shein) (11/27/88)

From: agate!pasteur!ic.Berkeley.EDU!faustus@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Wayne A. Christopher)
>I've seen discussion on the topic of copyrights as they apply to digital
>information in a few places, and I'd like to know what newsgroup is most
>appropriate for this sort of topic.  In particular, I'm interested in what
>people think about how copyright laws must be modified to accomodate such
>things as software and digital images, and how to enforce such laws.
>Clearly, the current laws don't apply very well, and enforcement techniques
>such as copy-protection on disks are becoming increasingly ineffective.

USENET has a misc.legal list but if you're interested in speculative
changes in the copyright law to better support a digital inforamation
society I think you're on the right list already (INFO-FUTURES.)

The problem with legal issues, of course, is that people generally
don't understand them although they often have strong opinions anyhow,
usually representing what they wished the law said to better fit their
own moral sense.

That said (ahem!) I wonder if there *are* any folks on this list with
real legal training who might step forward as referees in such a
discussion and we'd all agree voluntarily to seriously consider their
referee'ing? If you like send me private e-mail and I'd be glad to
introduce you (it's so embarrassing to introduce oneself :-)

The idea of designated guest referees seems provocative, no?

>How about discussions of using public-key cryptography for identification?
>Why hasn't this become more widespread?  Is there really not that much of
>a need for reliable authentication?

Reliable authentication has certainly become a major issue of late
with this latest Internet "worm" and other similar problems. There is
a system from MIT's Project Athena called Kerebros which does this and
is publicly available. Authentication is, of course, only part of the
story. As we all (should) know data passes on networks right now in
the clear so anyone with the ability to eavesdrop can own the store.

The current issue seems to be the performance trade-off of encrypting
every packet (and the administrative issues of managing the encryption
strategy.) Let's try some quick numbers:

Assume a desired host-to-host throughput rate of 100KBytes/second and
a 512 byte packet (although hosts are capable of transferring more
quickly right now the limitations of their target devices such as
disks or screens tends to throttle things.)

That's 200 packets per second or 5 milliseconds to encrypt and
anything else you need to do, let's say 3 ms to encrypt.

On a 2 MIPS workstation that's time for about 6,000 machine
instructions. Assuming you can encrypt four bytes (one 32 bit word) at
a time and loop 128 (512/4) times to encrypt, the loop has to be
somewhat less than 50 machine instructions long, including loop and
pointer overhead, to keep up.

Anyone know a good encryption algorithm that can be implemented in
less than 50 machine instructions? The only one I know of uses a large
table of random values copied at each site which are kept in sync,
each word is (eg) XOR'd with the next random value. That's only low
security (although a lot more secure than cleartext) and of course the
tables getting out of sync is a definite problem as well as
guaranteeing the security of the tables.

I know, buy a faster machine :-) The fastest *software* DES
implementation I know of runs significantly less than 100 encrypted
words/second on a 2 MIPS machine, more than 2 orders of magnitude too
slowly for packet encryption in real time.

There are chip implementations of DES etc which might help although
I'm not sure how well suited they are to general public key methods
(perhaps someone else knows more and can even talk about it) or if
they're that much faster.

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||

sac@well.UUCP (Steve Cisler) (11/28/88)

One problem with copyright is that technological changes are
coming at a faster pace than legal changes. Even if there were a
court system devoted to these issues, I don't think you could streamline
the process. As Barry said, there are a lot of people with strong opinions
about these matters. Without (or even with) legal rules most of them will
go their own way. I tend to think that there will continue to be a relative
disregard for intellectual property laws (unless there is a powerful
deterrent such as peer pressure or legal pressure to comply).

Let's talk about a few of the problems. I have one specific case that
does not bode well. I have to talk in generalities because I don't have
permission to give out the details:

A electronic publishing firm placed a set of CD-ROMs in a number of
academic libraries. They contained the images of pages from dozens of
business journals. There was a text disc with the indexes pointing to
the correct article image and a laser printer for the student to print
out the article.  The print publishers did not want the ascii on disc
because it would be too easy to manipulate. They insisted on the
images of the pages, ads and all, be on the discs (about 24 of them).
Each time the journal was accessed, it logged it in a file for the
vendor. Though this was a beta test and the students and faculty liked
it, the librarians all said they would not buy the service. Why?
partly because it did not take into account 'Fair use" of printed
materials. I think this experiment was very significant as was
the impasse between the publishers and the librarians.

My point is that 'progress' in electronic publishing will be slow.
How can information continue to flow as fast at the technology allows
but still give a fair return to the creators/owners.

Steve Cisler
Connect: Libraries & Telecommunications
Box 992
Cupertino, CA 95014

faustus@ic.Berkeley.EDU (Wayne A. Christopher) (12/01/88)

Somebody mentioned a case where a journal publisher wouldn't provide
the ascii form of their articles.  Has anybody had any experience with
IEEE or ACM on this issue?  They say "permission is granted to make a
few copies, not for profit", but would they allow the ascii versions of
the articles to be posted to the net?  What if the author wanted to
post it?  Do the groups hold the sole copyright?

It seems that since these are non-profit organizations, they shouldn't
mind, but maybe this sort of thing would eventually reduce their paper
circulation enough that they would have to raise rates.

	Wayne

doug@isishq.FIDONET.ORG (Doug Thompson) (12/02/88)

 BS>From: bzs@PINOCCHIO.BERKELEY.EDU (Barry Shein)

>>I've seen discussion on the topic of copyrights as they apply to
>>digital information in a few places, and I'd like to know what
>>newsgroup is most appropriate for this sort of topic.  In
>>particular, I'm interested in what people think about how
>>copyright laws must be modified to accomodate such things as
>>software and digital images, and how to enforce such laws.
>>Clearly, the current laws don't apply very well, and enforcement
>>techniques such as copy-protection on disks are becoming
>>increasingly ineffective.

>USENET has a misc.legal list but if you're interested in speculative
>changes in the copyright law to better support a digital inforamation
>society I think you're on the right list already (INFO-FUTURES.)

>The problem with legal issues, of course, is that people
>generally don't understand them although they often have strong
>opinions anyhow, usually representing what they wished the law
>said to better fit their own moral sense.

>That said (ahem!) I wonder if there *are* any folks on this list
>with real legal training who might step forward as referees in
>such a discussion and we'd all agree voluntarily to seriously
>consider their referee'ing? If you like send me private e-mail
>and I'd be glad to introduce you (it's so embarrassing to
>introduce oneself :-)

Methinks the copyright problem centres on the problem of control.
Large scale paper reproduction and sale is easy to identify and
control. Computers ruin that. Copyright is no longer enforcable.

Expressed somewhat differently, the computer has caused the
intrinisc value of a "copy" to change. No longer is the physical
and matieral tangible object the item which contains value.
Rather the value is in the information, whose tangible physical
form has been transformed by the computer from a kilogram of
paper to so many bytes of disk space. You can control kilograms
of paper, but bytes moving at the speed of light are more
problematic.

The first rule of politics is, never make a law you cannot
enforce. Copyright has been rendered unenforcable by the
computer. It follows that our concept of copyright will have to
change.

=Doug

--
 Doug Thompson - via FidoNet node 1:221/162
     UUCP: ...!watmath!isishq!doug

doug@isishq.FIDONET.ORG (Doug Thompson) (12/02/88)

 WAC>From: faustus@ic.Berkeley.EDU (Wayne A. Christopher)

>How about discussions of using public-key cryptography for
>identificati on? Why hasn't this become more widespread? Is there
>really not that much of a need for reliable authentication?

The newsgroup sci.crypt has carried on some useful discussion.
The software is pretty straightforward. I wrote a pretty
straightforward implementation some months ago. I dropped the
project when some good friends in several countries assured me in
very emphatic tones that the security and intelligence
authorities in the USA would take extreme interest in my work.

I have no way to evaluate the merits of those concerns. Suffice to
to say that good software exists, the technique is exceedingly
simple, and the lack of implementation does lead one to scratch
one's head.

There seems to be, especially in the USA, a profound fear that
even mentioning the topic, let alone implementing PKE techniques
will result in unpleasant correspondence with Big Brother. As I
said, I have no way of appraising the validity of the concerns
expressed. I sometimes wonder why I dropped my own PKE project.
Am I chicken-shit or am I just too busy with other things??

Again, I'm really not well enough informed to make that judgement
call. Or am I just chicken-shit??

Hard to say . . . .

=Doug

--

sac@well.UUCP (Steve Cisler) (12/05/88)

>IEEE and ACM republishing rights:
I know that Carnegie Mellon's Project Mercury (big Electronic Library)
will include online versions of pubs from the aforementioned organizations.