[comp.society.futures] no subject

Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.CA (Stuart.Lynne) (01/05/89)

Please remove:

	tri-x!tjs

from your info-futures mailing list.

Mail to that site cannot be sent via van-bc.

Any mail resolving to a path of van-bc!attvcr!tri-x is sent to /dev/null.

Tri-x gets a news feed and does not need to be on info-futures.

If you must leave him on info-futures use:

	ubc-cs!attvcr!tri-x!tjs

This message will repeat until you have fixed the problem. I'm tired of
spending good money to download stuff from uunet which is thrown away.

bzs@pinocchio.encore.com (Barry Shein) (01/06/89)

>This message will repeat until you have fixed the problem. I'm tired of
>spending good money to download stuff from uunet which is thrown away.

I have removed the address you are complaining about and all addresses
to or thru ubc-cs or any bc.ca destination so you will no longer be
bothered with dealing with mailing lists as they seem to annoy you.

I am advising several other major mailing list maintainers to do the
same.

All repeated messages will be promptly sent back to you twice, so
happy downloading, loser.

	-Barry Shein

jwm@STDC.JHUAPL.EDU (Jim Meritt) (01/07/89)

Good move.

I took to sending a copy of it to every non-idle user on that system.

Watta jerk.

sl@van-bc.UUCP (pri=-10 Stuart Lynne) (01/07/89)

In article <8901061555.AA03773@pinocchio.UUCP> bzs@pinocchio.encore.com (Barry Shein) writes:

>>This message will repeat until you have fixed the problem. I'm tired of
>>spending good money to download stuff from uunet which is thrown away.
>
>I have removed the address you are complaining about and all addresses
>to or thru ubc-cs or any bc.ca destination so you will no longer be
>bothered with dealing with mailing lists as they seem to annoy you.
>
>I am advising several other major mailing list maintainers to do the
>same.
>
>All repeated messages will be promptly sent back to you twice, so
>happy downloading, loser.
>
>	-Barry Shein

Thank you Barry.

I'm sorry that this provoked such a vehement response and I've sent you a
separate message directly.

For everyone else I apologise adding to the noise in this group. The fact is
that four previous requests over the last two months had gone unheeded.
Probably they got lost somewhere. In any respect I simply escalated into
mode two, send a message to everyone that looks remotely involved.
Unfortunately it also spilled over into the mailing list and newsgroup
itself. That was not intended.

However as I pointed out to Barry if one of the first four messages to what
I thought was the correct address had worked then I wouldn't have had to do
it.

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

bzs@Encore.COM (Barry Shein) (01/09/89)

For the record I did try to fix that offending address in response to
the complaints a few times, I think the ultimate problem was in some
misleading advice from pathalias. Obviously that didn't work so now
the address is gone.

Managing a list of around 300 addresses can often be challenging, I
have over 200 messages in my mailbox right now from the past week or
so representing failed deliveries (usually most are from the same few
addresses which helps somewhat and others are temporary failures which
unfortunately add a lot to the noise, paging thru a few hundred
messages even quickly is work.) Mixed in there are of course
legitimate requests and problems so there's no cheap fix.

I hope people understand how much work and abuse one takes trying to
maintain a large list (not the least of it is sysadmins growling when
something really goes haywire and screws up a host system.) Either
we're tolerant of each other or we all may as well give it up,
foremost one has to remember that no one is paid to run these lists,
it's done in the interstices of one's life (particularly consider this
when complaining that slowness of response to some address change is
costing *you* a few microcents, some people will send a request to
remove at 9AM and then blow their top later the same day if they get
another note from the list.)

Ah well, I guess you ultimately have to believe it's worth it and I do
believe INFO-FUTURES is worth it, fortunately I have a relatively
thick hide.

I consider this particular matter closed.

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||