[comp.society.futures] horseless carriages

hascall@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (John Hascall) (01/14/89)

In article <210@maths.tcd.ie> gwills@maths.tcd.ie (Graham Wills) writes:
>Mr. Shein writes ...
>>Seriously, isn't it quaint to look back and think of the folks who saw
>>the first automobiles and remarked "oh, horseless carraiges!", and
>>reflect on how truly limited their vision was?

>Why does he think so ?
>What are the crucial differences between autos and carriages which make
>someone who thinks they are similar "quaint" ?
>After all, they have the same basic function, transport; they both need
>regular maintainence, polishing; they inspire(d) similar feelings in their
>owners - affection, pride; they are (were) status symbols; In recreation
>they are (were) used similarly, for racing, going for a drive in the country;
>etc. etc. etc.
>In fact the only *real* differences are that cars go faster and can travel for
>longer distances more easily. Socially and psychologically they perform the
>same function.

  Yes, this is how it seems on the surface.  Cars today are, in a mechanical
  sense, quite similar to the first cars.

  What HAS changed is the social and psychological functions.  Originally,
  they work looked at as "evil".  They were the toys of the rich.  The general
  public considered them a nuisance or worse.  Many places, in fact, had
  strict laws for automobiles (i.e., 5 mph speed limit, or having to pull to
  the side and stop the motor upon meeting a horse).

  This all changed when Henry Ford made the car something the entire population
  could afford.  This lead to the creating of a nationwide system of
  (drivable) roads, where before there were only muddy horse/wagon trails.

  With this came a profound change in American travel/living patterns--no
  longer did most people grow up to live a short distance from there
  family, no longer did people live their entire lives in a hundred mile
  radius of where they were born.

>They would have been much more quaint if they had remarked
>" Oh, a new type of transport which will cause fundamental changes
>  in the way we live "

  Actually, such a person would have been very forward thinking....

  IMHO the mass-produced automobile is one of the ten things which
  has most changed life in this country.

  John Hascall

  p.s. since I mentioned it, how about your list of the 10 things that
       have and/or will change life?