bzs@Encore.COM (Barry Shein) (01/19/89)

From: nick@cs.hw.ac.uk (Nick Taylor)
>What we really need (as usual!) is a standard. If the interface between
>a detachable keyboard and a terminal was standardised we could all have
>our own customised keyboards to suit our particular preferences.

At least two of the X-terminal vendors I've spoken to are using a PS/2
interface for their keyboards and one (I forgot to ask the other) has
expressed a willingness to sell terminals without keyboards so you can
go out and buy your own.

Then again, it's not that easy to find some of these keyboard
mentioned with PS/2 interfaces, but it does seem like a good start.

Maybe there's a business opportunity there for someone just waiting to
be jumped on? The X server is configurable for just about any keyboard
with just some table changing and applications are supposed to go thru
standard subroutines to get key mappings.

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||

prc@maxim.ERBE.SE (Robert Claeson) (01/21/89)

In article <2124@brahma.cs.hw.ac.uk>, nick@cs.hw.ac.uk (Nick Taylor) writes:

> What we really need (as usual!) is a standard. If the interface between
> a detachable keyboard and a terminal was standardised we could all have
> our own customised keyboards to suit our particular preferences.
> We could carry them around with us and just plug into a terminal which
> we wanted to use.

I can't almost imagine what problems this would create with terminal
definitions! If this is to become a reailty, there should really be
a standard for keyboard layouts (including the number of function keys,
their labels and their placement). I guess DEC's VT2xx/VT3xx keyboards
comes pretty close, as does IBM's Enhanced keyboards (the ones with 12
F-keys on the top row). They are both quite widespread.
--
Robert Claeson, ERBE DATA AB, P.O. Box 77, S-175 22 Jarfalla, Sweden
"No problems." -- Alf