[comp.society.futures] Alternative Keyboards

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (01/13/89)

Having spent 7.5 years as a medical secretary, and still making
much of my living via keyboard, this is a subject I've kept an eye
on for several years, and I've also wondered why the Dvorak wasn't
more popular.  For instance, if memory serves properly, at one time
it was used to establish 31 of the 33 world typing records (I don't
know how there came to be 33 different world typing records ... I
can only assume WPM over various lengths of time, highest accuracy
%age, and the like), and I'm sure analogous gains could be made
in computer keying.   Also, the learning time on the Dvorak is
apparently only about 25-50% of the learning time on the standard
keyboard.

My only guess is that most people simply don't *know* about the
Dvorak and others.  But in this age of detachable keyboards, there
might be money to be made in aggressively marketing them, along with
an inexpensive training course to make it attractive to firms with
several keyboardists.

If anyone wants to put up the capital, I'll supply the PR!  {|:-)]

Jeff Daiell

INDEPENDENCE FOR TEXAS!

    --
         "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good...
          O Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood."

                                --- The Animals

bogartc@handel.colostate.edu. (Chris Bogart) (01/14/89)

In article <2717@ficc.uu.net> jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:

>... I've also wondered why the Dvorak wasn't
>more popular. ...

>...   Also, the learning time on the Dvorak is
>apparently only about 25-50% of the learning time on the standard
>keyboard.

>My only guess is that most people simply don't *know* about the
>Dvorak and others.  But in this age of detachable keyboards, there
>
>Jeff Daiell

The Apple //c's keyboard is switchable to Dvorak, by pushing in a button
and moving all the keys around.  I did that once, and re-learned to type
in Dvorak.  I liked it; it seemed easier to learn than qwerty had been.
Then one day I had to use the terminals in the computer center, because the
modems were down.  I found I could no longer type qwerty, and had to hunt
and peck.  To switch to Dvorak, we would have to change all the keyboards
everywhere at the same time, because the average typist probably couldn't
learn to switch back and forth very easily.  I finally switched my apple
back to qwerty.

Chris Bogart      bogartc@handel.cs.colostate.edu

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (01/14/89)

In article <984@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, Chris Bogart writes:

> The Apple //c's keyboard is switchable to Dvorak ...
>  I did that once, and re-learned to type
> in Dvorak. ...
> Then one day I had to use the terminals in the computer center, because the
> modems were down. ...  I could no longer type qwerty, and had to hunt
> and peck.  To switch to Dvorak, we would have to change all the keyboards
> everywhere at the same time, because the average typist probably couldn't
> learn to switch back and forth very easily.  I finally switched my apple
> back to qwerty.

Two possible solutions here.  One would be a keyboard that translated
one's Dvorak keying into qwerty for the computer's benefit.  The other
would be a program that would let the computer accept either.

As stated earlier, if someone wants to provide the funding, I'll
provide the PR.  Is there also someone to provide the programming/
engineering?  Let get rich!

Jeff Daiell

INDEPENDENCE FOR TEXAS!

--

              "You should see me when I'm rested."

                              -- from "Brigadoon"

garye@hpdsla.HP.COM (Gary Ericson) (01/17/89)

> In article <984@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, Chris Bogart writes:
>> [stuff deleted about not being able to go back and forth between qwerty
>>  Dvorak]
>
> Two possible solutions here.  One would be a keyboard that translated
> one's Dvorak keying into qwerty for the computer's benefit.  The other
> would be a program that would let the computer accept either.
>
> Jeff Daiell
--------

The problem with straying from qwerty is, of course, the incredible social
momentum that keyboard layout has.  If you walk up to a machine with a
keyboard, it will probably be qwerty (except many handheld devices that use
alphabetic layout).  But the detachable keyboard concept makes me wonder
why you couldn't carry your keyboard with you and plug it in to the machine
you wanted to use.  The keyboard could be any layout but would send
characters to the machine as if it were qwerty (do keyboards just send ASCII
like they used to, or do PC keyboards send some encoding to indicate the key
position, letting the computer figure out what key it is?).

Whether this idea was useful to you would depend on how many different machines
you tend to use (especially ones that wouldn't accept your personal keyboard)
and how intense your use of them was (i.e., would it hurt you to hunt and
peck).

Gary Ericson - Hewlett-Packard, Workstation Technology Division
               phone: (408)746-5098  mailstop: 101N  email: gary@hpdsla9.hp.com

jsloan@thor.UUCP (John Sloan) (01/19/89)

How about software down-loadable keyboards with keytop displays? Your
startup file downloads QUERTY or Dvorak or whatever software into the
keyboard and the keytops assume the correct characters. This also means
that every key could be a "softkey". With high resolution LCD displays,
functions keys could display their usage, which could change if such
keys were context sensitive depending on the application or mode.

John Sloan  +1 513 259 1384  ...!ucsd!ncr-sd!ncrlnk!ncrpcd!wright!jsloan
Wright State University Research Center   jsloan%wright.edu@relay.cs.net
3171 Research Blvd., Kettering, OH 45420       ...!osu-cis!wright!jsloan
Logical Disclaimer: belong(opinions,jsloan). belong(opinions,_):-!,fail.

garye@hpdsla.HP.COM (Gary Ericson) (01/21/89)

> How about software down-loadable keyboards with keytop displays? Your
> startup file downloads QUERTY or Dvorak or whatever software into the
> keyboard and the keytops assume the correct characters.
>
> John Sloan  +1 513 259 1384  ...!ucsd!ncr-sd!ncrlnk!ncrpcd!wright!jsloan
> ----------

This has been talked about before and I've usually been hesitant about the
idea.  The advantage would be that I can transform the keyboard into the
format I am familiar with (assuming the physical layout of keys is identical
[size of keys and general location]).  But if the keys below my fingers can
change function depending on the context and I have to look at the keytops to
figure out which keys to hit, then it destroys my touch-typing and I'd
rather write things longhand with some handwriting recognition software (I
haven't experimented with this, but I'm pretty sure writing by hand would
be faster than hunting-and-pecking on a keyboard).

Gary Ericson - Hewlett-Packard, Workstation Technology Division
               phone: (408)746-5098  mailstop: 101N  email: gary@hpdsla9.hp.com

ltf@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Lance Franklin) (01/21/89)

Whatever happened to the keyboard I once saw in an long-ago Popular Electronics
that was basically a hemisphere with keys placed under each finger (with the
hand draped over the hemisphere) and three keys placed within reach of the
thumb.  Data was entered by depressing the four finger-keys (to allow 16
possible binary choices), then depressing one of the three thumb-keys (to
enter the value and choose one of three character groups).  Supposedly,
a sufficiently practiced keyboard-operator could enter data faster with this
keyboard than with the standard qwerty-operator, and it left the other hand
free to flip pages, guzzle cokes and handle twinkies.  Since this setup
could handle only 48 possible characters, I assume it used a shift-in/shift-
out mechanism to handle upper/lower case.  Really, it was QUITE a few years
back, so my memory of the thing is hazy.

Did anybody ever build one of these things?

Lance

--
+-------------------------+ +-----------------------------------------------+
| Lance T Franklin        | | I never said that! It must be some kind of a  |

doug@isishq.FIDONET.ORG (Doug Thompson) (01/22/89)

 jd>From: jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell)

 jd>> back to qwerty.
 jd>
 jd>Two possible solutions here.  One would be a keyboard that translated
 jd>one's Dvorak keying into qwerty for the computer's benefit.
 jd>The other would be a program that would let the computer accept either.
 jd>
 jd>
 jd>As stated earlier, if someone wants to provide the funding, I'll
 jd>provide the PR.  Is there also someone to provide the programming/
 jd>engineering?  Let get rich!
 jd>
 jd>
 jd>Jeff Daiell

Either solution is simple within a given hardware/OS environment.
There are some "standards" in the industry, but there are so many of
them that the challenge would come from the size of the number of
different keyboard/OS solutions one would have to come up with to
enable Dvorak fluency to be generally usable.

I'd switch to Dvorak, and have even though about doing it within the
company. But then every time some "foreign" machine comes along, it's
back to qwerty . . .

So there is a long lead time before one could offer a "switcher"
genuinely accessible compatibility with all the hardware s/he's liable
to have to be able to use.

There are so *many* keyboards in our workplaces and homes,
typeweriters of all kinds, computers of numerous kinds, terminals,
TELEX machines, etc.

The technique of converting any one is pretty straightforward, and if
it's a computer, as easy as "when user types "A", record "B" instead.
But this has to work with all kinds of software for which we are never
going to see the source code on zillions of different computers . . .
Therein lies the problem.

=Doug

Fido      1:221/162 -- 1:221/0                         280 Phillip St.,
UUCP:     !watmath!isishq!doug                         Unit B-4-11
DAS:      [DEZCDT]doug                                 Waterloo, Ontario
Bitnet:   fido@water                                   Canada  N2L 3X1
Internet: doug@isishq.math.fidonet.org                 (519) 746-5022

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (01/25/89)

      Properly, one should learn to touch-type on a blank keyboard.
With many keyboards, one can pull the keytops and replace them quite easily.
So one could make one's keyboard generic, if desired, by obtaining a
supply of blank keytops.

					John Nagle

"Yeah, we had some trouble with productivity with some of the old guys
at first, but I put them on the typing program for half an hour a day
until they come up to thirty words a minute."

bzs@pinocchio.encore.com (Barry Shein) (01/26/89)

>This has been talked about before and I've usually been hesitant about the
>idea.  The advantage would be that I can transform the keyboard into the
>format I am familiar with (assuming the physical layout of keys is identical
>[size of keys and general location]).  But if the keys below my fingers can
>change function depending on the context and I have to look at the keytops to
>figure out which keys to hit, then it destroys my touch-typing and I'd
>rather write things longhand with some handwriting recognition software (I
>haven't experimented with this, but I'm pretty sure writing by hand would
>be faster than hunting-and-pecking on a keyboard).
>
>Gary Ericson - Hewlett-Packard, Workstation Technology Division

I think the idea is that once set up you'd frequently use particular
configurations and get used to it.

Two obvious applications would be the ability for applications to load
function key displays and foreign character sets (in the latter case I
can't really think of any other acceptable approach for mixed language
input where the typist is fluent at typing both languages, esp. where
every char is different like cyrillic or arabic.)

Even for QWERTY v DVORAK I doubt you'd switch back and forth very
often.

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||

sagibson@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Slime) (02/08/89)

I find that the problem with current keyboards is that you still
have to remember how to spell. Wouldn't it be much more natural
to use a keyboard wwith phonemes and have the computer translate
the input into real (and correctly spelled) words?

Such a device must already exist. Dictating machines? Do they
have less or more keys?

As for displays, Dynabook type. Obviously.  Fast.
With lots of memory. No disk. Minimum of mechanical parts.

Some type of touch pad (the screen?) instead of a mouse or trackball.
But that's probably religious.

** Simon

dht@drutx.ATT.COM (D. Tucker) (02/09/89)

<11350@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, sagibson@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Slime) writes:
> I find that the problem with current keyboards is that you still
> have to remember how to spell. Wouldn't it be much more natural
> to use a keyboard wwith phonemes and have the computer translate
> the input into real (and correctly spelled) words?

The problem is with the English language. In Italy, they don't have
spelling bees like we do. But I find the English language to have
beauty and power of expression: why? It borrows from lots of langu-
ages, mostly French. Our language is ever-changing, mutable and
healthy.

> Some type of touch pad (the screen?) instead of a mouse or trackball.
> But that's probably religious.

I've used a touchscreen, the keyboard is easier. I'm not a touch-
typer. But as I use terminals more (I would hate to have one at home)
I'm a faster typer. How many phonemes are in the English language?
It would be like a Chinese typewriter, bulky but fast, if the comp-
uter goes down, what will the user do? English has a lot of homonyms,
like 'reel' which has two different meanings. As a verb, as a noun,
two different meanings for fishing and film.

Do you want to see Eric Blair's (George Orwell, it's time we give him
credit for his stupendous work) _1984_ come true? Newspeak, double-
plusungood. It straightjackets the mind.

128a-3cl@e260-1d.berkeley.edu (Cimarron D. Taylor </>) (02/10/89)

	Phoneme alphabets and keyboards sound attractive
at first glance.  There are only thirty or so standard english
phonemes (although their finer variations make a much longer
list), so one would expect a phonemic system to be an efficient
way to represent the sounds of english.
	Ask any linguist, though, and you will learn two problems.
Different dialects would spell things differently.  You don't realize
just HOW differently until you start comparing phonetic spellings
with people from different areas.  Vowels are the most mutable.
One can make out writing in most dialects, but reading is very slow
in IPA (international phonetic alphabet) if the dialect isn't yours.
One ends up depending on context, sounding out words, etc.
	Chinese is an extreme example.  There are several major
dialects that have diverged so much that the only way speakers
can communicate is in writing.  The written language is standardized
and identical.
	Second, languages change.  It would take an Elizabethan
scholar to read Shakespeare if it was written in a phonetic
alphabet.  This is more of a long term concern, though.