[comp.society.futures] Implications of powerful systems

woolstar@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (John D Woolverton) (03/28/89)

> Writes: Barry Shein, Software Tool & Die
> As an analogy, who needs a 15MIPS workstation? Very few people, but
> they're available now and are cost competitive with slower
> workstations so, hey, that's what we all want. The others will wither
> on the vine.

One of the side effects of all these bigger and faster computers
are that more options and effects are being added, and this is good
but it also allows less efficient and sloppier code.  Given, that
all applications don't need to be written in assembly any more,
but there are quite a few programs that I have looked through,
that are incredibly sloppy.

It is sad that as machines go faster, some of the same programs
we always used go slower.

	John d Woolverton, programmer.
	 woolstar@csvax.caltech.edu

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (03/29/89)

In article <10167@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> woolstar@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (John D Woolverton) writes:
>It is sad that as machines go faster, some of the same programs
>we always used go slower.

      Also bigger.  Run "size" on, say, "ps", on a Sun.

      However, there are applications which need power well beyond what
is available today.  I have some designs for a geometry-based AI system
that will take 1000 to 10,000 MIPS.  There are simple algorithms in
early vision that take twenty minutes per frame on a Sun 4.  We need
serious MIPS to deal with the physical world.

					John Nagle

bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (03/30/89)

From: glacier!jbn@labrea.stanford.edu  (John B. Nagle)
>      Also bigger.  Run "size" on, say, "ps", on a Sun.

	SunOS 4.0.1:

		skuld% size /bin/ps
		text	data	bss	dec	hex
		25880	4616	2224	32720	7fd0

	-Barry Shein, Software Tool & Die

There's nothing more terrifying to hardware vendors than
satisfied customers.

dennis@YANG.CPAC.WASHINGTON.EDU (Dennis Gentry) (03/30/89)

If anything, it looks like Sun's code is getting smaller.

>	SunOS 4.0.1:
>
>		skuld% size /bin/ps
>		text	data	bss	dec	hex
>		25880	4616	2224	32720	7fd0

	SunOS 3.5:

		dennis@yang% size `which ps`
		text	data	bss	dec	hex
		106496	16384	48364	171244	29cec

Dennis.

weiser.pa@XEROX.COM (03/30/89)

>If anything, it looks like Sun's code is getting smaller.

Shared libraries.

-mark

doering@kodak.UUCP (Paul F. Doering) (04/01/89)

In  <10167@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> John D Woolverton writes on the
subject of the implications of powerful systems --

> One of the side effects of all these bigger and faster computers
> are that more options and effects are being added, and this is good
> but it also allows less efficient and sloppier code.  Given, that
> all applications don't need to be written in assembly any more,
> but there are quite a few programs that I have looked through,
> that are incredibly sloppy.
>
> It is sad that as machines go faster, some of the same programs
> we always used go slower.

John, it seems that at least part of the history of technology has
involved making it possible for humans to survive while becoming
progressively less competent at some previously necessary skill.  We
can cite cooking, driving, hunting, farming, and --alas -- coding.
(No flames, please, from cooks, chauffeurs, hunters, or farmers.  I'm
referring to the bulk of humankind, not to those of you who have
elected to remain proficient.)

In his must-read book "The Media Lab: Inventing the future at MIT"
Stewart Brand cites Nicholas Negroponte's observation that eventually
our appliances will have more MIPS than our computers.  I think that
we can expect those refrigerator-driving chips to be substantially
better programmed than most modest-sized computers will be, because
there is a clear way for an accountant to evaluate what a business
has spent on the chip's education but no clear way to assign $-loss
to an inefficient package running in the company's desktops.

Software sells hardware.  Bigger programs sell more hardware.  The
incentive is there for our suppliers, John: sloppiness will not be
penalized, because _permitting_ sloppiness enriches the vendors.

Portia Isaacson commented that someday Computer Science would be no
more august than Refrigerator Science is today.  She may have
understated the case.  Maybe the _real_ skill will belong to the
programmers of refrigerators.
--
=======================  ===================================================
Paul Doering (for self)  Once a new technology rolls over you, if you're not

davis@COMMUNITY-CHEST.MITRE.ORG (dave davis) (04/03/89)

John Woolverton writes:

> One of the side effects of all these bigger and faster computers
> are that more options and effects are being added, and this is good
> but it also allows less efficient and sloppier code.  Given, that
> all applications don't need to be written in assembly any more,
> but there are quite a few programs that I have looked through,
> that are incredibly sloppy.

There is a common myth in computer science that if one codes it in
assembler it is somehow magically faster, better, and more
professional.  Remember, a lousy design is still lousy in assembler or
in any high-level language.  There are some published studies which
show that the variaton in execution speed between good designs for a
problem and the worst designs for the same problem is a factor of one
to 1500!  My objective is not to flame John, but to point out some
trends.  Industrys desperate need for more software, cheaply, is
pushing higher-level languages and efforts to somehow automate more of
what analysts and programmers do (ex: environments, expert systems,
4GLs).  A more subtle trend is the use of design methodolgies.  These
have the goal of making a system design more understandable, and
doable, rather than the goal of making the code fit on the machine.
So, what we are going to use all those MIPs for is to run our
relational database, data dictionary tools, deisgn aids, configuration
manager, etc.  while compiling, debugging, and integrating.
So, a programmer is going to need about 20MIPs at his desk.

Dave Davis
MITRE Corp.
McLean, VA