[comp.society.futures] TIBET : Request for Assistance

patth@ccnysci.UUCP (Patt Haring) (04/21/89)

Ported to UseNET from UNITEX Network
                      201-795-0733
          via Rutgers FidoGATEway

                     TIBET:   SILENT GENOCIDE

By: Indira Singh
Contributing Editor: UNITEX
Moderator Tibet Conference 1:107/535

"Cabbages and any form of vegetables were picked out of human feces and eaten.
 Other prisoners had to eat the meat of rats, dogs and also human
 beings... We crushed the long bones of the other dead prisoners and
 drank the juice...I have eaten all this. There was no choice."

                          Tibetan Prisoner's experience
                          during the 1960s

"We were stripped naked and poked with electric prods by three or
four people...We were told that, 'You are opposing the Communist system
and you will be executed.'

                          As told to Vanya Kewley, British
                          Journalist, November 1988 by a
                          Tibetan nun

"The police rushed in (the Jokahng temple) at 9:30 in the morning.
They began beating everyone with clubs who looked Tibetan, including
some of the regional leaders. By 10:15 it was finished. They had
killed 30 monks. Later in the day, they carried the bodies outside
like dead animals and threw them in the back of two trucks."

                          As told to the London Observer by
                          a monk, last year.

"What I discovered both on and off camera about the harshness of
Chinese repression, in 4,000 miles of travel inside Tibet, far
from the areas where tourists visit, is starkly reminiscent of
Stalin's gulags"

                           Vanna Kewley, British journalist
                           December 1988 in "Tibet: Death of a Nation"

In the past 30 years more than 1.2 millions Tibetans have died
as a result of the Chinese occupation - one sixth of the population.
More than 7.5 million Chinese have been moved into Tibet,
outnumbering the native population ...Tibetan women are subjected
to mandatory sterilization and forced abortion.

                           From an official Tibet Office
                           Press Release dated March 1989

Force and repession can only aggravate the situation. We must
seek a peaceful solution. I appeal once again to world leaders and
the international community to continue to urge the Chinese government
to bring an early end to the sufferings of the Tibetan people.

                           His Holiness the Dalai Lama, April 1989

REQUEST FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE:

Incredibly,  the political leader of the Tibetan people still
charts a course of non-violence in the face of unspeakable atrocities.
Impossible for us to understand, his people listen. Would you do so?
For how long?

Where else in the world today can you expect this to happen?
The Tibetan Buddhist culture and philosophy is a powerful, sustaining
one, but how much longer can one expect the children of this savaged
nation to remain steadfastly against violent means.  Other
oppressed groups sooner or later resort to violence, which has
the potential of compromising even those of us protected by the
safety belt of a different national identity.

Tibetans are reaching out, and have been reaching out to the
international community for help.  Who is this international community?
Every man, woman and child that exists in precarious balance with
every other human being is part of the international community  and
has a vested interest in having peaceful solutions promoted successfully.
However, peace does not sell news; it hardly attracts attention.

It is only the terribly violent encounters that make the
nightly network news.
I asked a Tibetan friend why and how can the people in Tibet
still mass together in peaceful demonstration in Lhasa in
full expectation of escalated brutality. He said that they are
dying anyway and since they can count on flagrant Chinese violence,
perhaps, if enough Tibetans die, it would reach the attention and
the humanity of those of us who are sitting down to dinner, watching
the evening news. Perhaps some of us, he said, would be in a position
to help put a stop to it. Peacefully.

If you would like to help put a stop to the 'killing fields' of
Tibet, please express this by making your opinions known through this
conference, and allowing us to forward such messages to the
Office of Tibet in New York City.  More information will be posted
in the future.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.

Source of quotes: Tibet-The Undying Nation by Thinley Nyanduk
                  Press Releases, Office of Tibet
                  London Observer
                  Sunday Telegraph

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Crime Stoppers Against the New Age Hustle (1:107/501)

Address all comments and inquiries to:

unitex - via FidoNet node 1:107/520
UUCP: ...!rutgers!rubbs!unitex
ARPA: unitex@rubbs.FIDONET.ORG