[comp.society.futures] Speaking of Dynabook...

garye@hp-ptp.HP.COM (Gary_Ericson) (05/15/89)

Over the weekend I saw an ad in the employment classified's of the San Jose
Mercury News for a company called "Dynabook Technologies Corporation".  They
didn't say what they are doing, but here are a couple lines from the ad:

	"We're a start-up...if that's a good term for [a] simmering
	 volcano."
	"...you'll be in on the ground floor of a company that'll
	 make some serious history in the next year."
	"...we're sitting on something a little too big to be verbose."

Does anyone know anything about this company and what they're up to?

Gary Ericson - Hewlett-Packard, Workstation Technology Division
               phone: (408)746-5098  mailstop: 101N  email: gary@hpdsla9.hp.com

san@halley.UUCP (Steve Sanderson) (05/19/89)

To: cs.utexas.edu!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!ucbvax!hplabs!hpda!hpdslab!hp-ptp!garye
Subject: Re: Speaking of Dynabook...
Newsgroups: comp.society.futures
Bcc:

I've never actually touched the "Dynabook" advertised by that company, but
I've read preliminary reviews and articles on the product, mostly in
InfoWorld.  Briefly, the caveat being that this is all from memory...:

	* MS-DOS portable the shape and size of a textbook
	* Built in Microsoft Windows
	* Uses only a LCD display & a touch screen built in,  no keyboard
	  or CRT
	* Uses only a CD-ROM

In one article I read, the author started out being upset that someone had
taken the name "Dynabook" and put out a product distant from Alan Kay's,
who has/had a vision of a computer he called the "Dynabook".  By the end
of the article, the author has nice things to say about the product
"Dynabook", though it is not close to what Alan Kay described.

Steve Sanderson