[comp.society.futures] sci.commtech Call for Discussion

klopfens@bgsuvax.UUCP (Bruce Klopfenstein) (05/10/89)

I would like to get reaction to the formation of a newsgroup,
sci.commtech, for the discussion of new communication
technologies and their impacts on users (both end users and
organizations), media industries, media audiences, and society.
The group could be used to post information on developments in
new media technologies (generally all means of text, audio, and
video generation, storage and transmission).  As digital
technologies continue to transform the broadcast and electronic
media, those of us who grew up in the media/communications field
have much to learn from those of you in the computer field.

Example new communication technologies include

* new video technologies (HDTV, IDTV, interactive video,
  videodisc, picture-in-picture)
* new tape storage technologies (S-VHS, digital VCRs, digital
  audio tape)
* new optical disk technology applications (compact disk
  technologies (CD-ROM, CD-Video, CD+Graphics, erasable CDs)
* new delivery technologies (direct broadcast satellites, digital
  video-on-demand, pay-per-view)
* new telecommunication technologies (integrated services digital
  network [ISDN], fiber optics)
* new computer-based communications technologies (electronic
  text [including electronic newspapers], electronic mail,
  computer networks, videotex [e.g., Prodigy], teletext)

Discussions about *both* new technical and application
developments, as well as policy issues related to these new
communication technologies would be appropriate.  A current
policy topic, for example, would be telephone company involvement
in cable television.

Please *post* any comments on the name of this newsgroup, its
charter, whether or not it should be moderated and, if so, who
the moderator should be.  Looking forward to your reactions.

Posted 9 May 1989
Dr. Bruce C. Klopfenstein      |  klopfens@andy.bgsu.edu
Radio-TV-Film Department       |  klopfenstein@bgsuopie.bitnet
Bowling Green $tate University |  klopfens@bgsuvax.UUCP
Bowling Green, OH  43403       |  (419) 372-2138; 352-4818

jb@aablue.UUCP (John B Scalia) (05/10/89)

In article <4105@bgsuvax.UUCP> klopfens@bgsuvax.UUCP (Bruce Klopfenstein) writes:
>I would like to get reaction to the formation of a newsgroup,
>sci.commtech, for the discussion of new communication
>technologies and their impacts on users (both end users and
>organizations), media industries, media audiences, and society.

I like the idea, but then too, I'm probably a little biased in this area.
You may note from the Organization line that we're basically a printing
firm. Naturally, we get a little nervous when technology could make all
the big hardware we own obsolete :-).
--
A A Blueprint Co., Inc. - Akron, Ohio +1 216 794-8803 voice
UUCP:	   {uunet!}aablue!jb	Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) (05/11/89)

From article <4105@bgsuvax.UUCP>, by klopfens@bgsuvax.UUCP (Bruce Klopfenstein):

> I would like to get reaction to the formation of a newsgroup,
> sci.commtech, for the discussion of new communication
> technologies and their impacts on users (both end users and
> organizations), media industries, media audiences, and society.

The proposed subject matter is very interesting, but I wonder if
it's not already covered elsewhere - for instance, in
comp.society.futures, where there has been an interesting
discussion on electronic newspapers recently.  However, if a new
group would focus better on the issues above, then I'm all for
it.

--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
 JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma  EARN/BITNET: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk

klopfens@bgsuvax.UUCP (Bruce Klopfenstein) (05/12/89)

From article <970@syma.sussex.ac.uk>, by grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas):
> From article <4105@bgsuvax.UUCP>, by klopfens@bgsuvax.UUCP (Bruce Klopfenstein):
>>
>> I would like to get reaction to the formation of a newsgroup,
> it's not already covered elsewhere - for instance, in
> comp.society.futures, where there has been an interesting
> discussion on electronic newspapers recently.  However, if a new
> group would focus better on the issues above, then I'm all for
> it.
I did not expect to find the discussion about electronic banking on
comp.society.futures, but it helped spur my enthusiasm for sci.commtech.
There was also a discussion of Prodigy, a videotex service, on comp.sys.ibm.pc
recently (did I get that group name right?).  I have seen related discussions
to those topics noted in the sci.commtech call for discussion in other
newsgroups, but sci.commtech would finally give them a home.  Rec.audio
and rec.video are great places for discussions about consumer electronics,
but sci.commtech will not be the place for purchase recommendations.
I hope more people will express an interest in sci.commtech.
~h

--
Dr. Bruce C. Klopfenstein      |  klopfens@andy.bgsu.edu
Radio-TV-Film Department       |  klopfenstein@bgsuopie.bitnet
Bowling Green $tate University |  klopfens@bgsuvax.UUCP
Bowling Green, OH  43403       |  (419) 372-2138; 352-4818

felix@swivax.UUCP (Felix van Rijn) (05/17/89)

I strongly support the idea of a newsgroup on communication.
Now I see interesting discussions in different, often unexpected,
newsgroups.
But it should not be a *technical* conference. My main interest is
the impact of applications of (new) communication technologies on
society and individuals.
In my opinion it is the combination of information technology and
communication technology which opens a tremendous area of new
applications. Here in Europe we call this combination TELEMATICS.
Wouldn't this be a better name?!

I have no idea if it would be moderated. But seeing the 'chats' in some other
newsgroups, it could make life nicer for the readers.

May it be here soon!

Felix van Rijn,
University of Amsterdam,
Department of Social Science Informatics,
felix@swivax.uucp

klopfens@ANDY.BGSU.EDU (Bruce Klopfenstein) (05/19/89)

Telematics is a great idea!  I hope you posted your thoughts on news.groups
because someone else took the opposite view in saying that sci.commtech
would replicate other areas.

Thanks, and please VOTE for it in the next couple weeks when the call 4 vote
is made.

Bruce