[comp.society.futures] Electronic media

jwm@STDC.JHUAPL.EDU (Jim Meritt) (05/11/89)

Keep working at it and you will describe the smart tv that is already on the
market.  Don't think adding sight and sound to a computer, think adding
a computer to the sight and sound.  The distribution and display is
already handled - just the processing has hurt and they are NOW working
on that.

Jim Meritt

jps@cat.cmu.edu (James Salsman) (05/22/89)

In article <8905102249.AA21809@stdc.jhuapl.edu> jwm@STDC.JHUAPL.EDU (Jim Meritt) writes:
> Keep working at it and you will describe the smart tv that is already on the
> market.  Don't think adding sight and sound to a computer, think adding
> a computer to the sight and sound.  The distribution and display is
> already handled - just the processing has hurt and they are NOW working
> on that.

Has anyone ever though about adding small-vocabulary speech recognition
technology to telivision?

It would be cool to talk back to the TV.

--

:James P. Salsman (jps@CAT.CMU.EDU)
--

jwm@STDC.JHUAPL.EDU (Jim Meritt) (05/23/89)

>It would be cool to talk back to the TV.

No, I already talk back to my TV.

Cool would be getting it to listen!!!

Jim Meritt

nazgul@apollo.COM (Kee Hinckley) (05/23/89)

In article <5036@pt.cs.cmu.edu> jps@cat.cmu.edu (James Salsman) writes:
>Has anyone ever though about adding small-vocabulary speech recognition
>technology to telivision?

The trick would be getting it to listen to you, rather than the
people on TV.  Accidental stuff would be bad enough, but imagine
what happens when commercials start instructing your set to turn
up the volume!
--
### User Environment, Apollo Computer Inc. ###  Public Access ProLine BBS   ###
###     {mit-eddie,yale}!apollo!nazgul     ###  nazgul@pro-angmar.cts.com   ###

mwm@VIOLET.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike Meyer, I'll think of something yet) (05/24/89)

>> The trick would be getting it to listen to you, rather than the
>> people on TV.  Accidental stuff would be bad enough, but imagine
>> what happens when commercials start instructing your set to turn
>> up the volume!

From Gallagher:

TV is stupid. Just watch it sometime, and see. It's got a brightness
knob, but it doesn't work. No matter how high I turn it, the stuff on
the TV stays stupid.

	<mike