[comp.society.futures] HDTV and politics

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (06/12/89)

In article <7920@saturn.ucsc.edu> koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) writes:
>However, I think HDTV is a waste of time if we can't decide on a world
>standard.  It makes sense for everyone to settle on a standard at some
>point, so if it takes HDTV to do that, I guess it's worthwhile.  Better
>$500mil on HDTV than on Smurf action figures. :)

Maybe so, but there are many political reasons that this won't happen.
In particular, there seems to be a move on to create a US HDTV industry
and hold the Japanese off as long as possible, which means the
standards process will be used to this end (to keep out any foreign
HDTV "standards" that are developed first).  Also, there is the issue
of backward compatibility with existing US TV sets; the FCC has
already announced that any HDTV system finally adopted must work with
old sets (in the way color broadcasts work with B&W sets).

--
-- Joe Buck	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck