[comp.society.futures] Recent Article about the Media Lab...

bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (06/11/89)

There was a little spot about the Media Lab the other day in the
Boston Globe. Someone they interviewed there claimed that at any
distance over 9 feet people couldn't distinguish between HDTV and the
current standard. He couldn't understand how $500M of research into
HDTV could have failed to notice this.

Interesting.

	-Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die, Purveyors to the Trade
1330 Beacon Street, Brookline, MA 02146, (617) 739-0202

koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) (06/11/89)

In article <8906110057.AA24809@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
>...at any distance over 9 feet people couldn't distinguish between HDTV and
>the current standard.

That's really dependent on screen size.  If people have wall-sized HDTVs,
which seems to me to be HDTV's goal (a theater screen in your home), then
the difference would DEFINITELY be noticeable.  Try looking at a 60"
projection TV from 9 feet away and you'll see what I mean.

However, I think HDTV is a waste of time if we can't decide on a world
standard.  It makes sense for everyone to settle on a standard at some
point, so if it takes HDTV to do that, I guess it's worthwhile.  Better
$500mil on HDTV than on Smurf action figures. :)

---
These are my opinions, which you can probably ignore if you want to.
Steven Grimm		Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st
koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu	uunet!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!koreth

In article <8906110057.AA24809@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:
> There was a little spot about the Media Lab the other day in the
> Boston Globe. Someone they interviewed there claimed that at any
> distance over 9 feet people couldn't distinguish between HDTV and the
> current standard. He couldn't understand how $500M of research into
> HDTV could have failed to notice this.

This assumes a fairly standard size TV screen. This is going to be true of
any technology thanks to the limited resolution of the human eye.

However it's likely to make a significant difference to wide-screen TV.

(not to mention cheap hi-res monitors for us nerds)

Business: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.
Personal: ...!texbell!sugar!peter, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com.

klopfens@ANDY.BGSU.EDU (Bruce Klopfenstein) (06/12/89)

Could it be that that research, which was released by MIT, was a bit
biased?  If my memory serves me, MIT is working on an NTSC-compatible
system which uses considerably less than 1125 lines.  Guess what?  If
MIT can work out a study to show people can't tell the difference, that's
an argument for their system.  Sad, but self-serving research courtesy of
MIT.

Bruce Klopfenstein

klopfens@bgsuvax.UUCP (Bruce Klopfenstein) (06/12/89)

From article <8906110057.AA24809@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, by bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (Barry Shein):

> There was a little spot about the Media Lab the other day in the
> Boston Globe. Someone they interviewed there claimed that at any
> distance over 9 feet people couldn't distinguish between HDTV and the
> current standard. He couldn't understand how $500M of research into
> HDTV could have failed to notice this.
>
> Interesting.
In case my previous response was lost, please note that this research
is very self-serving for MIT.  As I recall, they are working on an
NTSC-compatible system using limited bandwidth.  It is in MIT's interest
to show that viewers don't want 1125 line HDTV (or can't tell the
difference.)  I think this is a very impotant point.

Bruce Klopfenstein

--
Dr. Bruce C. Klopfenstein      |  klopfens@andy.bgsu.edu
Radio-TV-Film Department       |  klopfenstein@bgsuopie.bitnet

twhlai@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Tony Lai) (06/13/89)

In article <8906110057.AA24809@bu-cs.BU.EDU> bzs@BU-CS.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) writes:

>There was a little spot about the Media Lab the other day in the
>Boston Globe. Someone they interviewed there claimed that at any
>distance over 9 feet people couldn't distinguish between HDTV and the
>current standard. He couldn't understand how $500M of research into
>HDTV could have failed to notice this.

What size monitor are they using?  The recommended distance for watching
HDTV is between 3 and 4 times the picture height.  The recommended distance
for NTSC is between 6 and 7 times the picture height.  With a 20" monitor,
a distance of 9 feet is 9 times the picture height, so such a result isn't
unexpected.

The Media Lab is a bunch of Nazi, er, NTSC apologists.  If NTSC were
imposed on us by a foreign country, we would consider it an act of war.
At least I would.

Obligatory smiley faces:  :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
--
Tony Lai