[comp.society.futures] HDTV

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) (06/12/89)

Re: the HDTV difference disappears after 9 feet.  The question
is: how many people watch TV from over 9 feet away?   Many
Americans, at least, watch from far closer than that.  In
fact, I suspect many Americans watch TV from closer than
five feet away.

So to many of us, HDTV might make a significant difference
in picture quality.

Para un Tejas Libre,

Jeff Daiell

--
       "The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those
   who, in times of moral crisis, preserved their neutrality."

                                        -- Dante

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (06/12/89)

In article <4506@ficc.uu.net> jeffd@ficc.uu.net (jeff daiell) writes:

> Re: the HDTV difference disappears after 9 feet.  The question
> is: how many people watch TV from over 9 feet away?   Many
> Americans, at least, watch from far closer than that.  In
> fact, I suspect many Americans watch TV from closer than

> So to many of us, HDTV might make a significant difference
> in picture quality.

> Jeff Daiell

I don't know about that.  I watch from at least 6 feet away, often
close to 9 feet or farther.  This is either on my 13" or the family
19".  I suspect that the 9 foot limit is actually relative to the size
of the screen, though.

Mark
--
Mark Smith     |  "Be careful when looking into the distance,       |All Rights
61 Tenafly Road|that you do not miss what is right under your nose."| Reserved

In article <Jun.12.12.06.30.1989.20464@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:

>> Re: the HDTV difference disappears after 9 feet.

>I don't know about that.  I watch from at least 6 feet away, often
>close to 9 feet or farther.  This is either on my 13" or the family
>19".  I suspect that the 9 foot limit is actually relative to the size
>of the screen, though.

Indirectly perhaps.  Most people probably stay back far enough to not
notice the scan lines and glitches on the screen, so they might tolerate
being closer to a small screen.  However, using this distance to judge
whether increased quality is worthwhile is meaningless, since the same
people would likely move closer to a high quality picture.  How far back
do you stand to look at a photograph?

Les Mikesell

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (06/20/89)

In article <8693@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <Jun.12.12.06.30.1989.20464@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
>
>>> Re: the HDTV difference disappears after 9 feet.
>
>How far back do you stand to look at a photograph?

I don't get a chance to read may groups these days, but passing thru, I was
wondering: if you are going to make this comparison, how many pixels or
scanlines are there in a real world (much less a photo, hologram) object?
Send mail on your observations on resolution independent rendering.  I
might not read it otherwise.  And if you want, I can summarize. 8)

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  				Live free or die.