[comp.society.futures] Delphi Method

raburns%ecotopia@Sun.COM (Randy Burns) (07/07/89)

I've read some interesting things about using the Delphi Method to
make forecasts.  My understanding is that a group of people are
asked a question (often about a predicted event unknown to them).
The group then votes about what they predict the outcome will be,
repeating until the group doesn't change its position from the
previous vote.

I've seen this topic dealt with in some novels (e.g. Shockwave
Rider).  What other research are folks familiar with?

I am interested if anyone has seriously considered adding
this functionality to USENET. This might consist of a program
which would be active at a host site. A user might post a question
via a program like postnews, except that all replies would be
sent to a special account. Replies to  the questionair sent to
that account would be tabulated and a report would be sent out
automatically (say weekly until a final report was made). Perhaps
it has already been done?

klopfens@bgsuvax.UUCP (Bruce Klopfenstein) (07/07/89)

From article <114039@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, by raburns%ecotopia@Sun.COM (Randy Burns):

> I've read some interesting things about using the Delphi Method to
> make forecasts.  My understanding is that a group of people are
> asked a question (often about a predicted event unknown to them).
> The group then votes about what they predict the outcome will be,
> repeating until the group doesn't change its position from the
> previous vote.
>
> I've seen this topic dealt with in some novels (e.g. Shockwave
I have never conducted a Delphi study, but I have read about them.
Delphi was developd, I believe, at the RAND Corporation in the 1960s.
It's especially useful for making predictions about technology and
experts who have some direct knowledge about the technology under study
as well as the likelihood for breakthroughs are asked to make forecasts.
A consensus is normally reached, but not necessary.  If an expert or more
do not go along with the consensus, then that is reflected in the ultimate
forecast.

Bruce Klopfenstein
Bowling Green State University

--
Dr. Bruce C. Klopfenstein      |  klopfens@andy.bgsu.edu
Radio-TV-Film Department       |  klopfenstein@bgsuopie.bitnet

reggie@dinsdale.nm.paradyne.com (George W. Leach) (07/07/89)

In article <114039@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> raburns%ecotopia@Sun.COM (Randy Burns) writes:

>I've read some interesting things about using the Delphi Method to
>make forecasts.  My understanding is that a group of people are
>asked a question (often about a predicted event unknown to them).
>The group then votes about what they predict the outcome will be,
>repeating until the group doesn't change its position from the
>previous vote.

     See the following:

		Harold A. Linstone and Murray Turoff
		The Delphi Method: Techniques and Applications
		Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Reading MA
		1975

      Turoff was my MS Project Advisor and has been working in
the area of computerized conferencing for about twenty years now.
I know that he has utilized that medium for the purpose of conducting
delphi decision making.  However, I don't have any references on hand
that I have read.  There are a few listed as references in other papers
that I have:

	Murray Turoff
	The design of a policy Delphi,
	Technological Forecasting and Social Change,
	Vol 2, No 2, 1970, pp. 149-172

	Murray Turoff
	Delphi Conferencing: Computer Computer Based Conferencing
	With Anonymity,
	Technological Forecasting and Social Change,
	Vol 3, 1972, pp. 159-204
	Note: this paper describes the very first computer conference
	according to another reference that I have.

	M. Turoff, S.R. Hiltz, and E.B. Kerr
	Controversies in the Design of Computer-Mediated Communications
	Systems: A Delphi Study,
	Proceedings of the NBS Conference on "Human Factors In Computer
	Systems", March 15-17, 1982

>I've seen this topic dealt with in some novels (e.g. Shockwave
>Rider).  What other research are folks familiar with?

   For an overview of conferencing try, with a bit of futurism
thrown in (in 1978 that is) try reading:

	Starr Roxanne Hiltz and Murray Turoff
	The Network Nation: Human Communication via Computer,
	Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Reading MA
	1978

>I am interested if anyone has seriously considered adding
>this functionality to USENET. This might consist of a program
>which would be active at a host site. A user might post a question
>via a program like postnews, except that all replies would be
>sent to a special account. Replies to  the questionair sent to
>that account would be tabulated and a report would be sent out
>automatically (say weekly until a final report was made). Perhaps
>it has already been done?

      Yes, it has, but I don't know about USENET.  Something else
that you may find interesting:

	Starr Roxanne Hiltz, Murray Turoff, K. Johnson, and C. Aronovitch
	Equality, Dominance and Group Decision Making: Results of a
	Controlled Experiment on Face to Face Vs. Computer Mediated Discussions
	Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Computer
	Communication,	Atlanta, USA, 27-30 October 1980, pp.  343-348

	Murray Turoff
	An On-Line Intellectual Community or "MEMEX" Revisited
	Technological Forecasting and Social Change,
	V 10, 1977, pp.  401-412

	Starr Roxanne Hiltz
	Impact of a Computerized Conferencing System upon Scientific
	Research Specialties
	Journal of Research Communication Studies
	V 1, 1978, pp.  111-124

George W. Leach					AT&T Paradyne
(uunet|att)!pdn!reggie				Mail stop LG-133
Phone: 1-813-530-2376				P.O. Box 2826
FAX: 1-813-530-8224				Largo, FL  USA  34649-2826