[comp.society.futures] IBM

mattd@pnet01.cts.com (Matt Day) (08/26/89)

It is hard to know when to upgrade nowadays...who knows when the 582 will come
out (sorry, 586)  of course, right after you finally upgrade to the 486...

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!mattd
ARPA: crash!pnet01!mattd@nosc.mil
INET: mattd@pnet01.cts.com

In article <271@crash.cts.com> mattd@pnet01.cts.com (Matt Day) writes:
>It is hard to know when to upgrade nowadays...who knows when the 582 will come
>out (sorry, 586)  of course, right after you finally upgrade to the 486...

Yea. But there is always something better/new/improved coming out. It's called
progress.

You can either be one of those who wants to be on the leading edge of
technology and buys the latest and greatest models of whatever, or you can
temper yourself and figure out a balance with semi-new tested models that
perform the tasks you need to perform for a reasonable price (the magic of mass
production = cost reduction).

I prefer the later. When something like the 486 comes out it will be very
expensive. And right about now 386's are getting pretty cheap. So the 386 is
the way to go. When the 486's start mass production (everyone else has paid
out of the nose to be the first one on the block to have one, this increases
demand) and the cost comes down, then the 486 will be the way to go.

This strategy works for TV's, CD Players, almost any techno gismo. It doesn't
work however for Cars. Too bad.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error.