[comp.society.futures] Immediate future of the 68040?

iyengar@clarke.cis.upenn.edu (Anand Iyengar) (09/14/89)

	Does anyone know what the real deal with the 68040 is?  I heard
rumors that it's being held back because of some legal issues.  Does the
chip exist?  Anyone know a time frame for when actual pieces will be delivered
to manufacturers, etc?  Do you have a lo-down on what the actual story is
behind the hold up?  Billions and billions of enquiring fans wanna know...

							Anand.
--
"Surely you're not happy:  you no longer play the game."
{arpa | bit}net: iyengar@eniac.seas.upenn.edu

jgmorris@a.gp.cs.cmu.edu (John Morrisett) (09/14/89)

> 	Does anyone know what the real deal with the 68040 is?  I heard
> rumors that it's being held back because of some legal issues.

I heard that Motorola is having legal difficulties with NEC.  Apparently,
they had some sort of technology sharing contract and there was a violation
(according to NEC) with the 68030 which sort of propogated to the 40.
But I also read somewhere that the chip was already being demonstrated
to the media...

							Greg Morrisett
							jgmorris@cs.cmu.edu

dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Dave Newton) (09/15/89)

In article <14379@netnews.upenn.edu> iyengar@enaic.seas.upenn.edu (Anand Iyengar) writes:
>	Does anyone know what the real deal with the 68040 is?  I heard
>rumors that it's being held back because of some legal issues.  Does the
>chip exist?

   I think the problem with the 040 is actually rooted in the 030.  Hitachi(?)
said Motorola violated some sort of copyright or something in the 030, and
from what I've heard, the 040 is based on the 030 with enhancements.  So they
can't release the 040 until all legal problems with the 030 are cleared up.

--
David L. Newton       |      dnewton@carroll1.UUCP     | I prefer to remain
(414) 524-7343 (work) |     dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu    | isolated from the

elwin@athena.mit.edu (Lee W Campbell) (09/19/89)

I have also read the rumor about a lawsuit with Hitachi or someone. However,
being deep in Idle Speculation Mode, it occurs to me that I haven't really
seen evidence of a million transistor process at Motorola (not that I've
looked real hard!).  You can start a design project whenever you want, but
you better not announce detailed specs until you have at least sample silicon.
My guess is: Motorola has a design for the '040 but no process yet.  (would
you let a coupla lawyers stop you from samplin' the hottest chip ever?).

		- Lee Campbell

     { Max }      AKA    Lee
   H-headphones   /|\    Campbell