[comp.society.futures] Esperanto

fbaube@NOTE.NSF.GOV (Fred Baube) (10/22/87)

> I thought I would mention that if any of you read Esperanto, a good source of
> information on computers in the Warsaw Pact might be the magazine "Internacia
> Komputado", published in Hungary.  The only issue I have seen is several
> years old, but I suspect that Neal Mcburnett (neal@druny.UUCP) could provide
> you with recent subscription info -- he attended an Esperanto computer
> conference somewhere in Eastern Europe a couple of years ago.

Someone explained to me that the Soviets are pushing Esperanto as
a lingua franca for the East European scientific community, on the
basis that Esperanto is easy to learn, extensible, not associated
with any particular nationality, etc. etc., and with the added
"virtue" that it is NOT ENGLISH !

> [For more information on the international language Esperanto, send an SASE
> to ELNA, PO Box 1129, El Cerrito, CA 94530; ask for the first lesson in
> their free correspondence course.

This course is deed free, and quite easy and straightforward, although
no-one's stopping you from including a buck or two :-).

urban@sol.SPS.TRW.COM (Michael Urban) (10/23/87)

In article <8710221023.aa19184@note.nsf.gov> fbaube@NOTE.NSF.GOV (Fred Baube) writes:
>> I thought I would mention that if any of you read Esperanto, a good source of
>> information on computers in the Warsaw Pact might be the magazine "Internacia
>> Komputado", published in Hungary.  The only issue I have seen is several
>> years old, but I suspect that Neal Mcburnett (neal@druny.UUCP) could provide
>> you with recent subscription info -- he attended an Esperanto computer
>> conference somewhere in Eastern Europe a couple of years ago.

That magazine was replaced, about a year ago, by a broader-scope
technology magazine called "Fokuso" (no prizes for guessing what
"fokuso" means).

>Someone explained to me that the Soviets are pushing Esperanto as
>a lingua franca for the East European scientific community, on the
>basis that Esperanto is easy to learn, extensible, not associated
>with any particular nationality, etc. etc., and with the added
>"virtue" that it is NOT ENGLISH !

I do recommend Esperanto as a means for establishing contact with
individuals in other countries on an equal and neutral basis.  To
bring this message back to some relevence to this newsgroup, I'll just
mention that in Soviet-bloc countries such as Poland and East Germany,
individual citizens are still forbidden to own computers.  In mainland
China, however, citizens are not only permitted to own them, but are
encouraged to do so (if they can afford them), as this is considered
necessary in the modernization of China.  The Chinese learn Esperanto
in part because they are eager to Learn Everything They Can from the
West.  Maybe we should be investigating putting mainland China on
Usenet instead of the USSR.
--
   Mike Urban
	...!trwrb!trwspp!spp2!urban

"You're in a maze of twisty UUCP connections, all alike"

fbaube@NOTE.NSF.GOV (Fred Baube) (10/24/87)

> I thought I would mention that if any of you read Esperanto, a good source of
> information on computers in the Warsaw Pact might be the magazine "Internacia
> Komputado", published in Hungary.  The only issue I have seen is several
> years old, but I suspect that Neal Mcburnett (neal@druny.UUCP) could provide
> you with recent subscription info -- he attended an Esperanto computer
> conference somewhere in Eastern Europe a couple of years ago.

Someone explained to me that the Soviets are pushing Esperanto as
a lingua franca for the East European scientific community, on the
basis that Esperanto is easy to learn, extensible, not associated
with any particular nationality, etc. etc., and with the added
"virtue" that it is NOT ENGLISH !

> --- riddle@woton.UUCP  {ihnp4,harvard}!ut-sally!im4u!woton!riddle

Note that equating Communist China and the USSR is quite a mistake.
They try plainly and clearly to be separate and superior to each
other in very many things.

Joseph S. D. Yao		(Yao Chou-Sieu, in other frames)

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (10/13/89)

This justification reminds me of the Lone Ranger joke which ends:

	"What do you mean 'we?' white man?"

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  		Support the Free Software Foundation (FSF)