[comp.society.futures] More ball gazing

bzs@ENCORE.COM (Barry Shein) (01/04/90)

Date: Wed, 3 Jan 90 16:55:24 EDT
From: Bob_German@MAYTAG.CEO.DG.COM
To: info-futures-request@encore.com
Subject: More ball gazing

I couldn't  resist putting on my sage's hat and taking a crack at

the coming decade. (_My_ dictionary, by the way, defines a decade

as any period of ten years, so a new decade actually begins every

year. I  choose to make predictions for the one beginning in 1990

:-) .)

              Predictions for Computing in the '90s

The last thirty years have seen such dramatic change in computing

technology that  it's tempting to extrapolate the advances of the

past in  making predictions for the future. Indeed, the sky's the

limit on  where our  technology could go. In the '90s and beyond,

however, technology  will do less to shape the world of computing

than will  market and  economic considerations  (what people want

and what they can afford).

Workstations:

The CPU  chips used  in workstations  will continue  to double in

power, and  memory and  peripheral speeds  will lag  slightly but

will eventually keep up. This will lead to the ability to put 100

MIPs machines sporting gigabyte memory sizes on the desktop.

What will  fall behind is applications to take advantage of these

faster machines.  Thus, the  market's appetite  for  the  latest,

fastest workstation  will diminish,  and manufacturers  will turn

their focus  away from  high powered  versions and toward reduced

cost machines. Extremely powerful high end workstations will find

their way  to the  desks of  engineers and  scientists,  but  are

unlikely to penetrate commercial realms.

Even as  new applications  become available,  many  non-technical

people will  prefer to stick with old, familiar applications. The

high  cost   to  retrain  personnel  and  convert  data  for  new

applications will  keep today's  applications in  the main stream

long after the technology has passed them by.

Parallel, often special purpose processors will become popular in

mid  to   high  end   workstations  for  use  as  user  interface

accelerators, encryption  devices and machine emulators. Machines

will show up which can simultaneously emulate multiple "standard"

workstations, such  as IBM  PC compatibles  and Macintoshes. User

interface shells will add "point and click" capability to old DOS

and UNIX applications with text based user interfaces.

The greatest  strides in  user interface  design will come not on

workstations, but  in  specialized  devices  such  as  hand  held

computers and  pocket CD-ROM  readers, where  physical size  will

constrain both  the display  and input device. Pressure sensitive

displays on notepad sized computers will encourage innovative new

user interfaces.   Voice  will find little use in user interfaces

except  for   telephone  based   interfaces  and  in  specialized

applications where  a worker's  hands are  busy  doing  something

else. Other voice based interfaces will have about the same level

of success  as the cars of the last decade which reminded us that

"the door is a jar" and were generally written off as an annoying

gimmick.

In the  commercial environment, diskless workstations attached to

high powered  file servers  will become  the prevailing trend. On

machines equipped with mass storage devices, high speed removable

optical disks  will almost entirely replace magnetic media by the

middle of the decade.

Most software  will be  distributed on  read-only optical  media.

Entire libraries  of software  will be available on CD ROM, along

with improved  help and  tutorial facilities  that will eliminate

user manuals.

Servers:

Today's minicomputers,  mainframes and supercomputers will slowly

be replaced  by sophisticated  servers.  These  servers  will  be

linked to  workstations on  a variety  of  local  area  networks.

Twisted pair  and fiber  optic networks are likely to be the most

popular.

File  and  data  base  servers,  communications  servers,  office

automation servers, management servers and computing servers will

all be  available. These  servers will  fall into  two camps: the

proprietary, special purpose servers, and the standard, commodity

servers. In  the first  category, high  performance and  low cost

servers will  perform generic  functions such  as  file  storage,

communications and  mail access.  The standard, commodity servers

will be platforms for custom server-based applications which will

be written  by large end users and value added resellers. A small

niche will  exist for very high performance programmable servers,

which  will   replace  today's   supercomputers.  Printers   will

generally come  LAN equipped, and will not require servers at all

(or, viewed another way, will be self-contained print servers).

Although a  typical workstation  user may  make use  of  a  large

variety of  servers,  their  use  will  be  hidden  by  data  and

applications management  software which  will attempt  to present

the image of a single, shared system to all users.

Communications:

Local  area   networks  will   continue  to   thrive.  Prevailing

technologies will  be those  which are  cheap to  install,  which

perform well,  and which  are most  manageable. Users  will be so

dependent on  their LANs  that no  technology will survive unless

problems can  be quickly  diagnosed, and  unless the  network can

continue to function in spite of a single failure.

Large corporations  and telecommunications  vendors will continue

to develop  faster and  faster media,  probably  based  on  fiber

optics. Light  switches will  become available,  but will  be too

expensive for all but telecommunications service providers.

High bandwidth,  fiber based  networks will not reach the home in

the 90s,  however. In the middle of the decade, HDTV will finally

emerge, but will be plagued for at least a few years by extremely

high cost  and a  lack of  programming. HDTV may eventually bring

higher bandwidth  cable into  the home,  and with  it we  may see

interactive TV  and two way, high speed home communications. This

is unlikely  to happen  during the  90s, however,  except for the

very rich.

ISDN will  be offered  for home  use by the mid '90s, but it will

cost more  than the  RBOCs are  currently predicting. Information

workers who  telecommute may  use it,  but most of the population

won't understand  why they  need anything  more than  their  old,

faithful telephone.

The average  home will have to make do with today's one-way cable

and conventional  telephone access.  More sophisticated  cable TV

receivers are  likely,  however.  It  is  likely  that  videotext

systems running  on one-way CATV based networks will reach the US

in the '90s.

Everyman's global  communications network will remain an illusive

dream during the 90s. Worldwide economic and environmental crises

will lead  to less  global teleconferencing and more local, grass

roots communication. Information technology will be of great use,

however, in  helping local  groups to  share ideas and to explore

possible  solutions   to  the  problems  of  pollution,  resource

depletion and global warming.

In general:

In the  90s, the  world will  begin to  reevaluate the meaning of

"progress" as  constant expansion  of the  economy and of endless

cities, suburbs  and shopping  malls. Instead,  progress will  be

seen as  our ability  to work  together to  achieve goals such as

world peace,  an end  to hunger,  and a clean environment. People

will turn  their minds  to survival of the planet, and will apply

our  information  technologies  to  that  goal.  The  process  of

shifting our  priorities will  begin in  the 90s, but will not be

complete until early in the next century.

It would be nice to believe that these changes will happen due to

a general  sense of  altruism and good will. It is more likely to

occur because  we will  be  forced  into  it  by  ecological  and

economical crises. When pollution begins to make the disease rate

skyrocket and  global warming  becomes more  apparent, we will be

forced  to   take  environmental   issues  more   seriously.  The

increasing cost  of energy  and other  resources will force us to

turn to  local food  production and  manufacturing, and  to  turn

"back to basics."

The end:

As  the   end  of   the  decade   nears,  hoards  of  contractors

specializing in Cobol and RPG will emerge to modify the thousands

of old  applications which  will blow up when the year flips over

from 1999  to 2000.  And much of the rest of the industry will be

occupied with  endless arguments on whether the year 2000 or 2001

will mark  the beginning of a new decade, a new century and a new

millennium. :-)

Meanwhile, have a happy new year!

------------------------------------

The opinions  expressed herein are those of the author and do not

necessarily reflect  those of  Data General Corporation or any of

its related entities.

josh@klaatu.rutgers.edu (J Storrs Hall) (01/04/90)

Bob German posts a fairly reasonable set of technical predictions
but then wanders off into a completely imaginary phase space with:

    Everyman's global  communications network will remain an illusive
    dream during the 90s.

True enough.

                          Worldwide economic and environmental crises
    will lead  to less  global teleconferencing and more local, grass
    roots communication.

Last I looked, we weren't awash in global teleconferencing.  And a
worldwide crisis would surely increase, rather than decrease, the
amount of it.  With the economic unification of western Europe in 1992
and the stated intention of the new eastern European democracies to
promote market economies, the 90's have a good chance to be one of the
biggest boom decades on record.

                         Information technology will be of great use,
    however, in  helping local  groups to  share ideas and to explore
    possible  solutions   to  the  problems  of  pollution,  resource
    depletion and global warming.

In a sense.  Information technology may make it possible for people
to learn the truth rather than blindly swallowing these political
scare stories.

    In the  90s, the  world will  begin to  reevaluate the meaning of
    "progress" as  constant expansion  of the  economy and of endless
    cities, suburbs  and shopping  malls.

How sharper than a serpent's tooth are the words of an ungrateful
child.  There are three billion people on this planet for whom
"suburbs and shopping malls" are something beyond the wildest fantasy
of heaven.  If I have any single hope for "global teleconferencing",
it is that it will bring home to some of our more mindless social
tinkerers just how well off we are here, and that THE ONE big problem
in the world today is that most of the people do NOT live in "suburbs
and shopping malls."

                                          Instead,  progress will  be
    seen as  our ability  to work  together to  achieve goals such as
    world peace,  an end  to hunger,  and a clean environment.

World peace is now in sight for the first time in history as a result
of three TECHNOLOGIES: communications, transportation, and nuclear
weapons.  Hunger is ended by TECHNOLOGY allowing each farmer to feed
30 rather than 1.1 people, and transportation to take the food where
it's needed.  A clean environment is a middle-class value, suddenly
found to be necessary by people who have always had roofs over their
heads and food in their bellies.  It is a luxury that we can afford
in this country, but whose cost our political activists are all too
eager to force on those in this world who have neither roofs nor food.
Buying this luxury honestly, costs us a 10-20% productivity increase,
which can be had only with more and better TECHNOLOGY.

                                                               People
    will turn  their minds  to survival of the planet, and will apply
    our  information  technologies  to  that  goal.  The  process  of
    shifting our  priorities will  begin in  the 90s, but will not be
    complete until early in the next century.

The process of shifting our priorities began in the 60's and peaked in
the 70's with Jimmy Carter and the Thermostat Police.  Luckily it has
been in decline ever since.  If we are very, very lucky, the 90's will
see an explosion of suburbs and shopping malls as billions of the
world's poor begin pulling themselves into the middle class.

    It would be nice to believe that these changes will happen due to
    a general  sense of  altruism and good will. It is more likely to
    occur because  we will  be  forced  into  it  by  ecological  and
    economical crises.

An Ecological Crisis:  A ship runs aground spilling oil.  No one is
killed.  No one is even hurt.  A global corporation pours a billion
dollars into the local economy for cleanup operations.  This could
have been prevented by a Politically Correct Ecological Consciousness.

An old-fashioned crisis: An earthquake strikes a city killing
thousands of people.  People keep dying for weeks because of
inadequate transportation and medical facilities and supplies.
This could have been prevented by "the old idea of progress,"
primarily the money and knowhow to build the buildings to modern
structurally sound specifications.

                       When pollution begins to make the disease rate
    skyrocket and  global warming  becomes more  apparent, we will be
    forced  to   take  environmental   issues  more   seriously.  The
    increasing cost  of energy  and other  resources will force us to
    turn to  local food  production and  manufacturing, and  to  turn
    "back to basics."

Please notice that throughout the 80's, pollution has been going DOWN,
energy prices have been going DOWN, and usable reserves of most mineral
resources have been going UP.

As I mentioned before, the indications are that the economy in the
90's will become a truly global one and take off in a big way.  There
is certainly no reason to expect the opposite, beyond short-term
fluctuations.  Political reforms in Europe, and, somewhat less
ballyhooed, Africa, have unlocked enormous reserves of our most
precious resource --people!-- and I have to hope that this will
prove a major upward force.

The only economic crisis on the horizon is in the mind of that
Oprah Winfrey of economists, Lester Thurow, who is fearful that
when everybody else takes off, we (the U.S.) will be left behind.
It is true that we are going to have to get up off our fat rear
ends to maintain a leadership role, because lots of other people
are on the move;  I think we will (already are) doing this in
some areas, and will simply assume a perfectly respectable
"followership role" in others.  The global economy will have
room for lots of specializers, and *everybody* will be better off.

--JoSH