[comp.society.futures] Re^2: Looking Backwards

alex@grian.cps.altadena.ca.us (Alex Pournelle) (01/04/90)

jsloan@handies.ucar.edu (John Sloan,8292,X1243,ML44E) writes:

>From article <752@arc.UUCP>, by steve@arc.UUCP (Steve Savitzky):
>> In article <Jan.3.01.24.55.1990.2689@klaatu.rutgers.edu> josh@klaatu.rutgers.edu (J Storrs Hall) writes:
>>>The keyboard will go the way of the card reader.  Voice-and-pointer
>>>will be standard;
>	:
>> I just have to respond to this.  WRONG.
>	:
>> o Pocket computers will generally use handwriting recognition on their
>>   touch-sensitive screens, rather than voice inputs.

>Similar to the pocket computers portrayed in _The Mote in God's Eye_,
>the SF novel by Niven and Pournelle. The computers were apparently
>about the size of a pocket calculator with their entire front surface
>covered with a touch sensitive LCD-like display screen.

Well, first mentioned earlier for the CoDominium period in _Spaceship
for the King_.

Me?  I predict we'll have a FORTRAN 8X standard by the Year 2000,
followed by some actual compilers with two decades.

	Alex