[comp.society.futures] Societies in _Voyage_from_Yesteryear_, etc.

grx1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Steve Snodgrass) (02/21/90)

This is kind of an off-the-wall question, and perhaps it belongs in another
conference, but this one seemed to have as much right as any.  Anyway, has
anyone other than myself read James P. Hogan's "Voyage from Yesteryear" or
perhaps "Mirror Maze?"  If so, what do you think about the possibilities for
the future (distant or otherwise) societies described in those works?

 | Reality: Steve Snodgrass <*> Cyberspace: GRX1042 @ UofT02.UToledo.Edu |
 | /\/ "No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government" -Rush \/\ |
 | "Mu is the sound a Greek cat makes."  -Dr. R.G. Bohn, Univ. of Toledo |
 `-----------------------------------------------------------------------'

warren@dgbt.uucp (Warren Baird DGBT/DBR) (02/27/90)

In article <578.25e206c1@uoft02.utoledo.edu> grx1042@uoft02.utoledo.edu (Steve Snodgrass) writes:
>This is kind of an off-the-wall question, and perhaps it belongs in another
>conference, but this one seemed to have as much right as any.  Anyway, has
>anyone other than myself read James P. Hogan's "Voyage from Yesteryear" or
>perhaps "Mirror Maze?"  If so, what do you think about the possibilities for
>the future (distant or otherwise) societies described in those works?

I haven't read _Mirror Maze_, but I read _Voyage from Yesteryear_
about a month ago.  I found some of the concepts that he put accross very
interesting.  I don't think that a society with that much freedom will exist
in the near future.  Humanity is too set in it's conceptions of wealth
and material goods to easily accept a world where almost everything
you'd ever need is free.  Even if there is a cheap method of producing the
materials, (say cold fusion or something :-) ) a lot of people (owners
of manufacturing companies, etc) would not take kindly to anyone
providing the same services that they do, but for free.  It would have
to be a very gradual thing, phased in over many years (decades) for it
to be accepted, or even possible, IMHO.

How ever, I would much prefer living in a world where I was able to do
the things I want to do, rather than having to find a job to keep food
on the table.  I don't expect it to happen in my lifetime though, or
my children's, for that matter.

--
      Warren Baird                      warren@dgbt.crc.dnd.ca
            ...utzoo!bnr-vpa!bnr-rsc!dgbt!warren

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (Jeff Daiell) (03/02/90)

In article <1362@dgbt.uucp>, warren@dgbt.uucp (Warren Baird DGBT/DBR) writes:

> How ever, I would much prefer living in a world where I was able to do
> the things I want to do, rather than having to find a job to keep food
> on the table.  I don't expect it to happen in my lifetime though, or
> my children's, for that matter.

Don't be so pessimistic -- look at how the workday and workweek have
shrunk just in the last 100 years.  And considering that some
economists estimate that the American economy is only about 1/3 as
big as it would be were it unregulated, and that wealth is concentrated
so much at the top as a result of that same regulation, I think it's fair
to forecast that a dramatic shift toward decontrol might well mean
a tremendous surge in the proverbial average person's standard of living,
even with a drop in hours worked per day and per week.  This would
mean both more money with which to pursue our wants, and more time in
which to do so.

Of course, Frederik Pohl or Poul Anderson once had a story about a society
with so *much* abundance, there were laws *requiring* zealous consumption!

Jeff Daiell

--

               "Will you still love me tomorrow?"

                                -- The Shirelles

paco@oakhill.UUCP (Paco) (03/03/90)

In article <1362@dgbt.uucp>, warren@dgbt.uucp (Warren Baird DGBT/DBR) writes:
> I haven't read _Mirror Maze_, but I read _Voyage from Yesteryear_
> about a month ago.  I found some of the concepts that he put accross very
> interesting.  I don't think that a society with that much freedom will exist
> in the near future.  Humanity is too set in it's conceptions of wealth
> and material goods to easily accept a world where almost everything
> you'd ever need is free.  Even if there is a cheap method of producing ...

Here's an idea...   Some factors could rapidly alter the conceptions of
wealth, and appear to be doing so.  Global telecommunications, increased
trade, global monetary systems, ie. the shift away from localized sovereignty
in general.

Not too many years ago a person in Austin would have to pay homage to the
"good ol' boy" network in order to do well in business, because local
sovereignty kept control over any real wealth.  Recently a friend here
setup a five-person shop doing multi-million dollar engineering business
with a sister company in Taiwan.  I doubt that the concept of "good ol'
boys" even crossed their minds because they completely bypassed the local
powerbase.

The concept of wealth is changing too rapidly for even those with relative
power to keep track.

paco.
-----
cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!devsys!paco  (devsys.com doesn't exist)

"Where do you fit into the Food Chain?"