[comp.society.futures] VOYAGE FROM YESTERYEAR, etc.

jeffd@ficc.uu.net (Jeff Daiell) (03/05/90)

In article <1362@dgbt.uucp>, warren@dgbt.uucp (Warren Baird DGBT/DBR) writes:

> How ever, I would much prefer living in a world where I was able to do
> the things I want to do, rather than having to find a job to keep food
> on the table.  I don't expect it to happen in my lifetime though, or
> my children's, for that matter.

Don't be so pessimistic -- look at how the workday and workweek have
shrunk just in the last 100 years.  And considering that some
economists estimate that the American economy is only about 1/3 as
big as it would be were it unregulated, and that wealth is concentrated
so much at the top as a result of that same regulation, I think it's fair
to forecast that a dramatic shift toward decontrol might well mean
a tremendous surge in the proverbial average person's standard of living,
even with a drop in hours worked per day and per week.  This would
mean both more money with which to pursue our wants, and more time in
which to do so.

Of course, Frederik Pohl or Poul Anderson once had a story about a society
with so *much* abundance, there were laws *requiring* zealous consumption!

Jeff Daiell
--

               "Will you still love me tomorrow?"

                                -- The Shirelles

mathers@titan.trl.oz (Steven Mathers) (03/06/90)

> Of course, Frederik Pohl or Poul Anderson once had a story about a society
> with so *much* abundance, there were laws *requiring* zealous consumption!

And then there was the story of the society where the workload for
citizens was approx 2 minutes per day, which was added to your BUY_IT
card.  Anytime you bought something, you just presented the card, and te
time-value of the goods was subtracted from your account. Say, a new car
cost ten work minutes.  I think it was a Harrison or Sheckly.  Most
likely a Sheckly by the sound of it.

							Stefo.