[comp.society.futures] ENGLISH AS GLOBAL LANGUAGE...

isiddiq1@UB.D.UMN.EDU (I.R.F.A.N - 1) (03/19/90)

In regards to the article from Melcir.....

>From: Melcir Erskine-Richmond <GLOBALCP%UVVM.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca>
>
>I have been thinking about this need for globalization of communications
>a lot - and while it is nice to contemplate native-tongue computing
>capacity for every tongue, I see this as being virtually impossible
>due to the enormous numbers of native tongues - 750 different languages
>in Papua New Guinea alone, for instance.
>
>>Some sacrifices are going to have to be made for the sake of universality
>of communications..........

I agree with your idea that english should be used as a global language
for communication, but if we  have to move into the 21 century then our
interaction with computers and other such digital systems would require
a quick and easy way to communicate them also(the machines).
My question is that, how can we use English as a means of global
communications in the 21 century without considering the comunication or
interaction with computers. Computers or should I say computing systems,
as we know  right now have no expert or reliable means of understanding
English language, and yet we interact with these machines so much. But
in the comming century our interaction with computing systems will be
even greater than what it is today, hence the idea of global
communication would be left incomplete if we use a language  such as
English for global communication and yet we can't use it to communicate
with computing systems. I believe we won't achieve true global
commuications untill we define or use an existing language for
communicating that can be used in the same pattern or formar with
computers as with humans.

Think of computing systems as a minority group increasingly becomming
a majority group, that requires equal consideration when deciding on
a language for effective communication on a global level.

Irfan Siddiqui
Univeristy of Minnesota, Duluth.

Internet: isiddiq1@ub.d.umn.edu

 " The future will only reflect the decisions of the past "