[comp.society.futures] Freedom

mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com (System Administrator) (07/15/90)

I applaud the creation of the foundations and societies to ensure that first
ammendment rights are extended to the world of telecommunication by computer.

However, I am concerned at the new orgainizations rush to apparently support
what might have been criminal intent in the two cases they are embracing.

Attempts to break into computer systems, whether they are local bulletin
boards, commercial computer systems or government computer systems should not
be condoned.  The fact that first ammendment rights may not have been accorded
to those involved in such activities clouds the issue and leads the general
population to think that the organizations supporting the accused in these two
cases is a radical group, rather than one trying to improve the whole lot of
those who are involved in computer communications.

It is appalling that the "government" can seize computer equipment and software
at the mere suspicion of criminal intent; just as it is appalling at the number
of mistaken break-ins into homes of suspected drug dealers, but we should not
over react to these two cases, just as we should not over react to the
break-ins.  Rather, we should concentrate on improving the legal system that
authorizes such moves to be sure that adequate cause exists to seize property
prior to its taking place.

If it proves out in court that the two cases involved were indeed criminally
conceived, then I support in retroaction the seizures that took place; in
effect they stopped that criminal activity.  If, however, the charges are
proven wrong, then a closer look at the process that led up to those actions
is required.

I would have felt better if the early actions of these new organizations were
legislatively involved rather than concentrating on these two specific
criminal cases.

[Standing by for flames, but hoping for intellegent discussion....]
Mike Ungerman                      |Proline:mikeu@pro-magic
Pro-Magic BBS: 407-366-0156        |uucp:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu
300/1200/2400/9600 Baud 24hrs      |arpa:crash!pnet01!pro-magic!mikeu@nosc.mil
Apple Tree of Central Florida, Inc |Internet:mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com
Orlando, Florida|Voice:407-366-0060|Compuserve:71326,31 Prodigy: JSNP58A

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (07/16/90)

From: mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com (System Administrator)
>If it proves out in court that the two cases involved were indeed criminally
>conceived, then I support in retroaction the seizures that took place; in
>effect they stopped that criminal activity.  If, however, the charges are
>proven wrong, then a closer look at the process that led up to those actions
>is required.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the United States legal
system and its constitution. You can't retroactively decide that the
means were justified because, in the end, a conviction was obtained.

In fact, quite the opposite. At the very least, by allowing law
enforcement agencies to violate rights and procedures you greatly
enhance the likelihood that any evidence obtained will not be
admissible and the convictions impossible, even if justified.

The basic reason why, besides the obvious dictums not to harrass
honest citizens, that so much procedure is put into place over
searches, evidence etc. goes like this:

The govt has invested billions of taxpayer dollars in creating and
running law enforcement agencies, detectives, courts, judges, forensic
labs, etc etc. All funded to gather evidence in criminal matters.

The individual has virtually nothing at his or her disposal to defend
him or herself, comparatively.

So the courts have decided that the least an individual citizen
deserves is that these well-funded organizations be able to do is get
it right, follow due process and rules of evidence etc.

If they don't, then in general sympathies weigh heavily towards the
individual and cases are often thrown out of court, etc.

In the end all that is being demanded is that the policing agencies
follow their own rules. Either the rules are sufficient for them to do
their job, or they should ask the courts to amend the rules. Violating
the rules is not an option, no matter how worthy the cause.
--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Lumsdon) (07/17/90)

In article <BZS.90Jul15154016@world.std.com> bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
Barry Shein writes in disagreement with mikeu.

>From: mikeu@pro-magic.cts.com (System Administrator)
>>If it proves out in court that the two cases involved were indeed criminally
>>conceived, then I support in retroaction the seizures that took place; in
>>effect they stopped that criminal activity.  If, however, the charges are
>>proven wrong, then a closer look at the process that led up to those actions
>>is required.

Many years ago, The Founding Fathers wrote certain protections for citizens
(protecting them from The State) into our constitution and amendments
to our constitution. Citizens of the USA are protected from unreasonable
search and seizure (or siezure). The law, law enforcement agencies,
and the court system are struggling to incorporate new, electronic forms
of access, new, electronic forms of property, and new, electronic forms
of tresspassing & theft into old laws and precedents. I believe that
this new Foundation chose 2 cases where it likely that law enforcement
agencies overstepped the rights of citizens, and are working to define
the rights of citizens, and defend the rights of citizens, with respect
to new technology.

I think that this new Foundation is working to strengthen our legal
system. I don't think they give the appearance of supporting criminal
activity. Our court systems works when opposing sides present their
viewpoints energetically and in an adversarial manner, and judge and/or
jury make decisions. Our legal system does not work when law enforcement
or prosecution misleads the judicial branch, or when the judicial branch
works hand in glove with the enforcement branch. I am willing to 'go
easy' on alleged criminals in order to prevent the latter from happening.

lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil  lumsdon@dtrc.dt.navy.mil
lumsdon%dtrc.navy.mil@uunet.uu.net
"Wherever you go, there you are" -Buckaroo Bonzai