[comp.society.futures] New Book in Computer Ethics

pmorriso@gara.une.oz.au (Perry Morrison MATH) (08/17/90)

Subject: New Book in Computer Ethics
Newsgroups: comp.society

I'm pleased to announce the availability (like NOW) of a new book designed
for teaching courses in computer ethics. It is available from MIT Press in
the States and Basil Blackwell in the UK. Contents and Preface follow.

                    		Computer Ethics

                 Cautionary Tales and Ethical Dilemmas in Computing

     			by Tom Forester and Perry Morrison

                                  CONTENTS

Preface and Acknowledgments

1. Introduction: Our Computerized Society
Some Problems Created for Society by Computers - Ethical Dilemmas for Computer
Professionals and Users

2. Computer Crime
The Rise of the High-Tech Heist - Is Reported Crime the Tip of an Iceberg? -
Targets of the Computer Criminal - Who Are the Computer Criminals? - Improving
Computer Security - Suggestions for Further Discussion

3. Software Theft
The Growth of Software Piracy - Revenge of the Nerds? Intellectual Property
Rights and the Law - Software Piracy v. Industry Progress - Busting the Pirates
- Suggestions for Further Discussion

4. Hacking and Viruses
What is Hacking? - Why Do Hackers 'Hack'? - Hackers: Criminals or Modern-Day
Robin Hoods? - Some "Great" Hacks - Worms,Trojan Horses and Time-Bombs - The
Virus Invasion - Ethical Issues - Suggestions for Further Discussion

5. Unreliable Computers
Most Information Systems are Failures - Some Great Software Disasters -
Warranties and Disclaimers - Why are Complex Systems So Unreliable? - What are
Computer Scientists Doing About It? - Suggestions for Further Discussion

6. The Invasion of Privacy
Database Disasters - Privacy Legislation - Big Brother is Watching You - The
Surveillance Society - Just When You Thought No One was Listening - Computers
and Elections - Suggestions for Further Discussion

7. AI and Expert Systems
What is AI? - What is Intelligence? - Expert Systems - Legal Problems - Newer
Developments - Ethical Issues: is AI a Proper Goal? - Conclusion: the Limits of
Hype - Suggestions for Further Discussion

8. Computerizing the Workplace
Computers and Employment - Computers and the Quality of Worklife: 'De-skilling'
 - Productivity and People: Stress, Monitoring, Depersonalization, Fatigue and
Boredom -  Health and Safety Issues: VDTs and the RSI Debate - Suggestions for
Further Discussion

APPENDIX A    Autonomous Systems: the Case of "Star Wars"

('Notes and References 'are included at the end of each Chapter)

                            Preface and Acknowledgements

	The aim of this book is two-fold:
(1) to describe some of the problems created for society by computers and (2)
to show how these problems present ethical dilemmas for computer professionals
and computer users.

     The problems created by computers arise, in turn, from two main sources:
from hardware and software malfunctions and from misuse by human beings. We
argue that computer systems by their very nature are insecure, unreliable and
unpredictable -  and that society has yet to come to terms with the
consequences. We also seek to show how society has become newly vulnerable to
human misuse of computers in the form of computer crime, software theft,
hacking, the creation of viruses, invasions of privacy, and so on.

    Computer Ethics has evolved from our previous writings and in particular
our experiences teaching two courses on the human and social context of
computing to computer science students at Griffith University. One lesson we
quickly learned was that computer science students cannot be assumed to possess
a social conscience or indeed have much awareness of social trends and global
issues. Accordingly, these courses have been reshaped in order to relate more
closely to students' career goals, by focussing on the ethical dilemmas they
will face in their everyday lives as computer professionals.

     Many college and university computer science courses are now including - orwould like to include - an ethics component, but this noble objective has been
hampered by a lack of suitable teaching materials. Computer Ethics  has
therefore been designed with teaching purposes in mind in an effort to help
rectify the shortage of texts.  That is why we have included numerous up-to-datereferences, as well as scenarios, role-playing exercises and 'hypotheticals' in
the 'Suggestions for Further Discussion' at the end of each chapter. The
creative teacher should be able to build on these.

     Readers will notice that we have not adopted an explicit theoretical
framework and have avoided philosophical discussion of ethical theory. The
reason is that this book is but a first step, with the simple aim of sensitizingundergraduate computer science students to ethical issues. Neither will
readers find a detailed account of the legislative position around the world
on the various topics discussed. This is because in each country the legal
situation is often complex, confused and changing fast - and again this is not
the purpose of the book.

     Finally, a note on sources. First, we have to acknowledge an enormous debt to Peter G.  Neumann, whose "Risks to the Public in Computer Systems" sections
in Software Engineering Notes, the journal of the Association of Computing
Machinery's Special Interest Group on Software (ACM-SIGSOFT) have provided
inspiration, amusement and a vast amount of valuable information. Long may he
continue. Second, we have to caution that many of these and other sources are
newspaper and media reports, which, like computers, are not 100 per cent
reliable.

	Tom Forester, Perry Morrison
	School of Computing & Information Technology
	Griffith University,
	Queensland, Australia

ryan@oxford.hw.stratus.com (Dan Guilderson) (08/17/90)

In article <3217@gara.une.oz.au> pmorriso@gara.une.oz.au (Perry Morrison MATH) writes:
   [stuff deleted]
   We argue that computer systems by their very nature are insecure,
   unreliable and unpredictable -  and that society has yet to come to
   terms with the consequences.

Only two things reliable in this world:
1) Death
2) The taxman cometh

--
Dan Guilderson       ryan@oxford.hw.stratus.com
Stratus Computer, Inc., Marlboro, MA, USA

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (08/18/90)

Sounds awful. It seems this whole "hacker scare" thing has provided
quite an opportunity to churn out the potboilers.

>     Readers will notice that we have not adopted an explicit theoretical
>framework and have avoided philosophical discussion of ethical theory.
>Neither will readers find a detailed account of the legislative
>position around the world on the various topics discussed. This is
>because in each country the legal situation is often complex, confused
>and changing fast - and again this is not the purpose of the book.

   Read: "We had to whip something together fast while the market was
   hot and can't really be expected to know anything about the subject."

>     Finally, a note on sources. First, we have to acknowledge an
>enormous debt to Peter G.  Neumann, whose "Risks to the Public in
>Computer Systems" sections in Software Engineering Notes, the journal
>of the Association of Computing Machinery's Special Interest Group on
>Software (ACM-SIGSOFT) have provided inspiration, amusement and a vast
>amount of valuable information. Long may he continue. Second, we have
>to caution that many of these and other sources are newspaper and
>media reports, which, like computers, are not 100 per cent reliable.

    Read: "We did most of our research by flipping through things we found
    lying about the office."

        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

reynolds@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU (Chris.Reynolds) (08/20/90)

I would have thought that any book on ethics should include a significant
section on professional standards. The subject is almost totally absent,
and never taken seriously.

I consider the title of this book is so misleading as to be verging on
the unethical.

Chris Reynolds

pmorriso@gara.une.oz.au (Perry Morrison MATH) (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug19.230355.22506@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU> reynolds@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU (Chris.Reynolds) writes:

In relation to notice of publication of my book: Computer Ethics: Cautionary
Tales and Ethical Dilemmas in Computing (MIT Press and Basil Blackwell, 1990).

>I would have thought that any book on ethics should include a significant
>section on professional standards. The subject is almost totally absent,
>and never taken seriously.
>
>I consider the title of this book is so misleading as to be verging on
>the unethical.
>
>Chris Reynolds

Gee Chris, why are you so vindictive?

Perhaps I should explain to the net that Dr. Reynolds has already refused to
review our book for New Scientist, basically because he completely misreads
its aims and intentions.

Our book is a sourcebook of casestudies and anecdotes to
stimulate classroom discussion. From bitter experience we have found that
you can cite professional standards and ethical theory until you are blue in
the face and CS undergrads simply go comatose. They need practical, real
and imagined situations that demonstrate the applicability of ethical thought.
Any good instructor should be able to build on that to include current versions
of professional standards.

We have already written to the editor of New Scientist to voice our concern over
Dr. Reynolds decision- especially when the book has received very good reviews
and massive publicity to date.

All I can say is that I'm perplexed by Dr. Reynold's need to continually
sabotage the success of our book. I understand that his prospects at an
Australian institution were recently thwarted and I can only surmise that
this has something to do with it.

Perry Morrison

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (08/20/90)

Let me remind everyone that INFO-FUTURES is a discussion list and
mentioning a book, product etc can just as easily incite flames as
praise, and that's fine, that's what discussion lists exist for, as
mediums of discussion.

If one wants mere advertising, well, you probably know where to go.

That said, I don't mean to imply that anything improper has been said
in ANY of the messages re: this book. I just hope that everyone
understands this, any topic raised is raised for *discussion*. Even if
someone posts a conference announcement etc someone else might jump in
with "that conf is great" or "that conf has been a waste of time"
(although I'd hope for more reasoned discussion) and it would be fair
enough for this sort of forum.

Of course all that is moderated by trying to keep to the topic of the
list, the speculative discussion of technology developments in the
near future.

    "I felt like a lion in a Daniel's den" -- Oscar Wilde

mark@parc.xerox.com (Mark Weiser) (08/20/90)

In article <3264@gara.une.oz.au> pmorriso@gara.une.oz.au (Perry Morrison MATH) writes:

>I understand that his prospects at an
>Australian institution were recently thwarted and I can only surmise that
>this has something to do with it.

>Perry Morrison

At least the original comments were about the book, not the people.
I don't find the above form of argumentation to be in good taste.
-mark
--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	weiser@xerox.com	Phone: +1-415-494-4406

reynolds@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU (Chris.Reynolds) (08/20/90)

>  Chris, why are you so vindictive?

>  Perhaps I should explain to the net that Dr. Reynolds has already refused
>  to review our book for New Scientist, basically because he completely
>  misreads its aims and intentions.

Come off it, Perry.

The New Scientist reviews about one computer book a month - and
there is a special Student issue once a year when about ten computing
text books are notified. As a result 99.99% of computer related books
never even get to be considered for review. Your book was "lucky
enough" to be considered because, among the 100 or so individual and
student books I have reviewed for the New Scientist over the last
eight years, there were two by your co-author which I liked.

Unfortunately for you I didn't like this one, and my prime duty as
a reviewer is to be honest with the readers of the New Scientist, not
to help the authors or publishers of books which I consider second
rate. The New Scientist would not be such an internationally well
loved magazine if its contributors did little more than reflect the
vendor's publicity material. Even if I had liked the book,  a review
of a similar collection of hacker's tales, etc, appeared in the New
Scientist in May - and there is no way that two such similar books
would be reviewed within the same year - however good the
second one was.

The only reason that you even knew that the book was considered
for review, and why I rejected it, was because I was genuinely trying
to be helpful. While it is not what I am paid for, I believe that the
majority of authors of rejected books benefit from an understanding
of the reasons for rejection, and hopefully will learn in time for
second editions, etc.

If you, or anyone else, wants to seriously discuss how  ethical issues
should be taught on USENET I will be delighted to make a contribution.
Otherwise I suggest the matter ends forthwith.

Chris Reynolds

cyoes@wilkins.iaims.bcm.tmc.edu (Cissy Yoes) (08/20/90)

Morrison MATH) writes:

|> >I understand that his prospects at an
|> >Australian institution were recently thwarted and I can only surmise that
|> >this has something to do with it.
|>
|> >Perry Morrison
|>
|> At least the original comments were about the book, not the people.
|> I don't find the above form of argumentation to be in good taste.
|> -mark
|> --
|> Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	weiser@xerox.com	Phone: +1-415-494-4406

I agree!  Personal vendettas should not be carried out at the expense
of the users of this news group.

Professional standards are important, and each of us must accept responsibility
for modeling them in our personal behavior.

Cissy Yoes
Information Technology program
Baylor College of Medicine
cyoes@bcm.tmc.edu

pmorriso@gara.une.oz.au (Perry Morrison MATH) (08/21/90)

In article <519@roo.UUCP> mark@parc.xerox.com (Mark Weiser) writes:
>In article <3264@gara.une.oz.au> pmorriso@gara.une.oz.au (Perry Morrison MATH) writes:
>
>>I understand that his prospects at an
>>Australian institution were recently thwarted and I can only surmise that
>>this has something to do with it.
>
>>Perry Morrison
>
>At least the original comments were about the book, not the people.
>I don't find the above form of argumentation to be in good taste.
>-mark
>--
>Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	weiser@xerox.com	Phone: +1-415-494-4406

My point is that, given a history that your aren't privy to, the comments about
the book appear to be driven by feelings about the authors.

A genuine comment on content is fine, if it is motivated by analysis of the
content. It's not fine in my view if it is driven by some feeling against the
authors. I am suggesting that the original criticism was motivated by the
latter rather than the former.

It's easy to masquerade a comment on the net as impartial, honest and unbiased.
I don't mind unbiased criticism, but thousands of people have now been informed
by Dr. Reynolds that my book is somehow not even **about** computer ethics.

That's too deep an insult to ignore and I believe that those thousands of people
deserve a larger context.

Perry Morrison

In article <1664@gazette.bcm.tmc.edu> cyoes@wilkins.iaims.bcm.tmc.edu (Cissy Yoes) writes:
>In article <519@roo.UUCP>, mark@parc.xerox.com (Mark Weiser) writes:

>|> At least the original comments were about the book, not the people.
>|> I don't find the above form of argumentation to be in good taste.
>|> Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	weiser@xerox.com
>I agree!  Personal vendettas should not be carried out at the expense
>of the users of this news group.
>
>Professional standards are important, and each of us must accept responsibility
>for modeling them in our personal behavior.
>
>Cissy Yoes

I agree in terms of your comment on personal vendettas. My claim is that the
net was **told** by Dr. Reynolds that my book was not even ABOUT computer
ethics. That would be fine if it were a comment out of the blue, but Reynold's
imvolvement goes deeper than this.

It is a very damaging comment that needed a wider context. My ethical judgement
tells me that some of the personal background about Reynolds is neither
specific enough nor recent enough to be of much consequence.

On the other hand, a malicious comment that essentially says that my book is a
facade, improperly entitled and therefore not even a contribution to the field,
involves a much greater level of harm- to my reputation, that of my publisher's
and to the success of the book itself.

As i've said before, I don't mind unmotivated attacks. But I'm sure that
this one isn't of that kind.

I've said my piece.
Perry Morrison

reynolds@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU (Chris.Reynolds) (08/29/90)

In article <3276@gara.une.oz.au> pmorriso@gara.UUCP (Perry Morrison MATH) writes:

>>I agree!  Personal vendettas should not be carried out at the expense
>>of the users of this news group.
>>
>>Professional standards are important, and each of us must accept responsibility
>>for modeling them in our personal behavior.
>>
>>Cissy Yoes
>
>I agree in terms of your comment on personal vendettas. My claim is that the
>net was **told** by Dr. Reynolds that my book was not even ABOUT computer
>ethics. That would be fine if it were a comment out of the blue, but Reynold's
>imvolvement goes deeper than this.
>
>It is a very damaging comment that needed a wider context. My ethical judgement
>tells me that some of the personal background about Reynolds is neither
>specific enough nor recent enough to be of much consequence.
>
>On the other hand, a malicious comment that essentially says that my book is a
>facade, improperly entitled and therefore not even a contribution to the field,
>involves a much greater level of harm- to my reputation, that of my publisher's
>and to the success of the book itself.
>
>As i've said before, I don't mind unmotivated attacks. But I'm sure that
>this one isn't of that kind.
>
>I've said my piece.
>Perry Morrison

Oh dear. As Perry has now twice repeated his inaccurate personal
attack, I am afraid I must beg your tolerance in taking up net time to
make the facts clear.

(1) Perry says, commenting on Mark Weisner's criticism of his
remarks about me, "My point is that, given a history that you aren't
privy to, the comments about the book appear to be driven by
feelings about the authors".

Let me make this prior history clear so that everyone knows how
utterly trivial it is. Until this altercation on usenet, Perry was no more
to me than an author of a book which I had read (in June this year).
As far as I can recollect I have never met him, or corresponded
directly with him. Over the last few years I have had some friendly
correspondence with Tom Forester and I felt it was only fair that Tom
should know why I thought his latest book (which is co-authored by
Perry) was not as good as earlier ones I had seen. Tom, and I presume
Perry, have seen a copy of my letter to the New Scientist, which
briefly explains why I did not consider the book suitable for review.
In this I point out that I considered the book very amateur compared
with Blay Whitby's  "Artificial Intelligence, a handbook of
professionalism" and conclude that "While the book is quite a good
read, it is not distinctive enough to demand a review".

(2) Perry says: "I understand that his prospects at an Australian
institution were recently thwarted and I can only surmise that this
has something to do with it."

During 25 years in the computer profession I have sent out a fair
number of copies of my C.V. in the spirit of "I could be available, you
might be interested, is it worth talking about it?"  In this context it is
true that I sent my C.V., IN CONFIDENCE, to the Australian institution
where Perry worked. Because I am not "in office" there Perry
incorrectly assumed that I was "thwarted", and therefore must be
showing personal animosity towards a member of staff of whose
existence I was blissfully unaware. What Perry did not know is that I
failed to progress my application and have made very satisfactory
arrangements elsewhere.

(3) In his latest outburst Perry says: "My ethical judgement tells me
that some of the personal background about Reynolds is neither
specific enough nor recent enough to be of much consequence"

I don't know how any judgement can be "ethical" when it totally
ignores the facts. Relevant activities in the last six months include
the paper "Computer conferencing and data protection", published in
The Computer Law and Security Report  in March of this year; the
popular version of this, "Letter of the Law", in the May issue of
the Personal Computer World (UK)  which has only just appeared on the
Australian newsagents shelves; my admittedly light-hearted piece
on the confidentiality of electronic mail, published in the New Scientist
of July 21st; a variety of other relevant academic papers and popular
articles in press; and a submission to the Australian Copyright Law Review Committee.

(4) When I pointed out, in email, that his statements were libellous,
he did not dispute the correctness of the facts. Instead he justified his
actions by saying: "given the current state of usenet I hardly think my
comments would stand out in any way."

He totally ignores the fact that two readers of this newsgroup (who
are totally unknown to me) have publicly commented that his
remarks were over the top. All I can say is that I would have
expected a more ethical approach to the use of computers from
someone who teaches, and has written a book entitled, computer
ethics.

(5) As to my remark about his book on usenet I should explain my
position. Until May I was the editor of the Books reviews on HICOM,
an on-line conferencing system for human-computer interaction
professionals. My activities included stimulating members to discuss
books they had read - and I occasionally injected an appropriately
pithy remark to get the debate rolling. All I had intended to do was to
stimulate a similar debate on usenet. As I considered that the
approach and contents of Perry's "Computer Ethics" was similar
to another book I have recently read, viz Geoff Simons'
"Viruses, bugs and star wars" I though a good debating point to start a
discussion ABOUT THE BOOK would be its title. (It might help to defuse
the situation if everyone  who has read the book - and who has no
personal connections with either Perry or me - said what they thought
of it - and I, for one, will guarantee not to make any further
comments about it,)

In retrospect, I would agree that the words I used were rather more
robust that I had intended. For this reason I have emailed Perry,
ending with the text:

  "Let me repeat, I apologise fully for causing the degree of distress
  that you are clearly suffering, because it was neither intended, or
  expected. However it is my professional opinion that the book is
  unsuitable for review in the New Scientist, and that it falls very
  far short of what organizations such as the British Computer Society
  would expect to be covered in a ethics module for an honours
  degree. On these matters I have nothing to apologise for."

  "I hope you will accept that I have no ill feelings against you, or Tom
  Forester, and have never had any. Even if you are unable to forgive
  and forget, don't worry, I still would not dream of holding any kind
  of grudge against you."

Finally, to members of usenet. I hope you will accept that the
unfortunate wording of my initial remark were not intended to cause
offence, and that you do not  need to take them too seriously.

Chris Reynolds