[comp.society.futures] RE Feedback on Computer Crime - Apology

nelson_p@apollo.HP.COM (Peter Nelson) (08/21/90)

From: bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein)
:The software industry of course points to the cost of developing those
:materials, and that's indisputable (although exactly how that relates
:to the cost of the product is not very well understood, certainly
:there are some enormously profitable software companies out there.)
:
:The important point is that at this time the software industry is
:seeking massive government (i.e. taxpayer) subsidies to ensure these
:profit margins, which at least on materials seem fairly large to the
:consumer. These subsidies are being sought in the form of police and
:court expenses to criminalize anyone who threatens their profits.

:We can argue moral niceties about what's right and what's wrong but in
:the end, is it fair that we as taxpayers foot this bill?  It could be
:billions of dollars in investigations, prosecutions, etc.

  But the "moral niceties" are CENTRAL to the issue.   Copying com-
  mercial software and giving it to our friends either IS or IS NOT
  stealing.  And we have to decide that issue.   If it isn't stealing
  then Mr. Shein is certainly correct in decrying the use of public
  money to defend these companies.  But if it is stealing then these
  companies have every right to expect the state to protect them.
  Although Usenet is full of debates about the role of government
  all but the most minarchist people believe that stopping "theft
  and fraud" is a legitimate government function.

  There are certainly other industries which depend on the police
  for their protection.  Banks, for one.  And the insurance industry
  couldn't exist without strong punishment for insurance fraud.
  The pharmeceutical industry is likewise dependent on vigorous
  enforcement of patent laws:  the real cost many drugs is in the
  R&D and testing process; often the manufacturing cost is fairly
  trivial, and it would be easy to copy if other companies could get
  away with it.

:But we also have to ask if it's the industry's responsibility to find
:some solution better than merely asking for the govt to spend billions
:on enforcing their profits. It's also possible to say, you're right,
:but we're not going to spend a lot of tax dollars and chase otherwise
:honest citizens around, there's too large a stupidity factor involved.

  There may not BE a solution, or at least one which consumers
  would accept.  It's easy to say they should do "something"
  but on the other hand, anyone who DOES come up with a good
  anti-piracy scheme will get disgustingly rich overnight if
  it cannot be defeated and is also acceptable to the market.

                                                 ---Peter

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (08/21/90)

From: Peter Nelson
>  But the "moral niceties" are CENTRAL to the issue.   Copying com-
>  mercial software and giving it to our friends either IS or IS NOT
>  stealing.  And we have to decide that issue.   If it isn't stealing
>  then Mr. Shein is certainly correct in decrying the use of public
>  money to defend these companies.  But if it is stealing then these
>  companies have every right to expect the state to protect them.
>  Although Usenet is full of debates about the role of government
>  all but the most minarchist people believe that stopping "theft
>  and fraud" is a legitimate government function.

I am arguing that the mere act of using something that you haven't
paid for may be, in the abstract, "stealing", but that does not imply
absolutely that the state has an obligation to spend taxpayer's money
on the matter.

Some analogies for consideration...

1. You have a lovely privet hedge in front of your home.  Every
morning, on the way to work, I pluck one small leaf off it as I walk
by. This irritates the hell out of you, although you would be
hard-pressed to even find which leaf is missing (since there are
millions of leaves in a privet hedge.) So you call the police and
insist that I am stealing that leaf and I should be arrested for
stealing your property, you call for a stake-out, investigation,
volunteer to press charges etc.  What outcome do you realistically
expect?

2. You run a private museum with some interesting sculptures in the
garden and charge a sizeable admission. My upstairs porch overlooks
your sculpture garden.  You notice that on weekends my friends and I
gather on my porch to have a drink and marvel at all the wonderful
sculptures you bring in, at great expense to you, each week. In fact,
if some stranger knocks on my door and asks if they can look also I
invite them right in and hand them a pair of opera glasses. You call
the police and insist that my dozens of friends etc. represent
significant lost income to you and we are stealing exactly what you
are selling, the opportunity to gaze upon your fine sculpture. What
outcome do you realistically expect?

So it's not absolute on the surface, unless you can really argue that
the above incidents are prosecutable. It's actually quite a matter of
situation and the circumstances. At the point that I am "stealing"
something not of tangible value (a notion the law recognizes very
clearly and strongly, "tangible" value), you are immediately on quite
shaky footing and have to pull out all sorts of licensing, copyright
etc laws. Even copyright is hardly correct since all those laws tend
towards *publishing* of works that are not yours. Making a copy for a
friend is not publishing, they stretch the laws to suit their desires.
In fact, many violations are limited to some calculation based on
income received (not expenses saved!) by publishing a work under
copyright, although you can always sue to stop someone from publishing
even for free.

The law may not be what you hope, some simple set of algorithms,
universally applicable to any minutiae that interests you. The law, in
fact, is deeply steeped in practicality and considerations of real
harms.

The law does not generally recognize the claim that I stole your soul
with my camera, as appealing as that atavistic fear may be.

>  There are certainly other industries which depend on the police
>  for their protection.  Banks, for one.  And the insurance industry
>  couldn't exist without strong punishment for insurance fraud.
>  The pharmeceutical industry is likewise dependent on vigorous
>  enforcement of patent laws:  the real cost many drugs is in the
>  R&D and testing process; often the manufacturing cost is fairly
>  trivial, and it would be easy to copy if other companies could get
>  away with it.

Only your last example is relevant, and it's a good one. But the
problem is that it's not generally assumed that I will do damage to
Pfizer by manufacturing Haldol in my kitchen. The implication is that
someone has gone into the business of manufacturing and selling.

Again, the issue of degree is critical. In the case of people like the
SPA (et al) they are trying to use the police to enforce against what
is not a manufacturing or sales distribution at all, but the mere
private use of a copy of software.

Note: I am not arguing the ethicality of copying software, I am merely
wondering if the software industry has created these problems for
itself by badly managing their entire industry.

Several examples were given earlier in this discussion about analogues
like music cassettes where the motivation to buy a $5 blank tape just
to copy a $10 music tape is hardly a motivation, thus not that great a
problem.

Copying a $500 software package by buying $5 worth of floppies seems
to be a situation akin to storing diamonds in open containers in front
of your house and then demanding the police stand guard lest some
crook steal them. Certainly the person who stole them committed a
crime, but if the society responds that perhaps you should store your
diamonds in some better way is also valid, being as you are obviously
fully aware of the problem you are creating. And if you cannot come up
with the solution or find it too expensive (but safes cost money!),
well, perhaps you are in the wrong business.

>  There may not BE a solution, or at least one which consumers
>  would accept.  It's easy to say they should do "something"
>  but on the other hand, anyone who DOES come up with a good
>  anti-piracy scheme will get disgustingly rich overnight if
>  it cannot be defeated and is also acceptable to the market.

Perhaps there is no solution. So, therefore, we should subsidize the
profitability of this industry with billions of tax dollars?

I am not so certain, perhaps you are.

        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | {xylogics,uunet}!world!bzs | bzs@world.std.com

josh@klaatu.rutgers.edu (J Storrs Hall) (08/21/90)

Barry writes:

    Copying a $500 software package by buying $5 worth of floppies seems
    to be a situation akin to storing diamonds in open containers in front
    of your house and then demanding the police stand guard lest some
    crook steal them. Certainly the person who stole them committed a
    crime, but if the society responds that perhaps you should store your
    diamonds in some better way is also valid, being as you are obviously
    fully aware of the problem you are creating. And if you cannot come up
    with the solution or find it too expensive (but safes cost money!),
    well, perhaps you are in the wrong business.
    Perhaps there is no solution. So, therefore, we should subsidize the
    profitability of this industry with billions of tax dollars?

This, of course, is why the anarchocapitalist scheme is so appealing.
There *are* no tax dollars, and *all* the costs of doing business are
brought out in the price of the good.  If the software company had to
pay for its own copy protection both ways, the choice of means would
be simply an economic calculation--as it should be.

Furthermore, the question of property rights in software would *also*
be a matter of economic calculation.  The question of property rights
in information is going to become much more serious in the future, as
nanotechnology begins to make matter duplication possible.  Without
a straightforward way to define property rights appropriately in a
whole succession of different situations, a holy mess will ensue.
Look as the science fiction stories that deal with the introduction
of the matter duplicator:  most of them predict the breakdown of
society in some form.  (I'm thinking of one in particular by George O.
Smith--can anyone remember the title?)

So I think software is a test case for the future--of everything!

--JoSH

Naturally the police don't enforce all laws or all infractions -- does this
have anything to do with the debate on whether the laws are moral or not?

It is true, however that if:

a) Property is misappropriated

b) Real monetary value is involved

c) Enforcement is possible at a reasonable cost

then it is the duty of the police to protect that property.

thomas@topaz.jpl.nasa.gov (Peter Thomas) (08/27/90)

Brad Templeton writes:
     >a) Property is misappropriated
     >b) Real monetary value is involved
     >c) Enforcement is possible at a reasonable cost
     >then it is the duty of the police to protect that property.

Brad,
To some extent this is like asking "How many hostages do we let
them take before we go to war?"  There are two ethical positions
possible.  One is the pragmatic view, which you have chosen, and
the other is the principled.  I think perhaps we spend much to
much time thinking of the amount of damage caused and whether it
is "worth it" to pursue wrong-doing.  I agree with making the
punishment fit the crime--so perhaps a tiny crime should result
in little more than a harsh word of warning. . .but it
definitely should not be ignored as if it didn't happen.

Looking the other way is one of the worst ways we can invalidate
a principle.  The instant we do, we are no longer defending
principle, but are rather buttressing up a "grey" or
"wishy-washy" set of individual cases.  Is it any wonder our
legal system is in such a mess?  We have been doing this for so
many years that it is now almost impossible to distinguish wrong
from right--and just about possible to sue anyone over anything
and at least have some legal precedent as a leg to stand on.

If we are truly looking towards building a better
_future_society_ perhaps we should put a greater emphasis on
principled and reasoned action.

--Pete

robertj@Autodesk.COM (Young Rob Jellinghaus) (08/28/90)

In article <9008210016.AA14566@world.std.com> bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
>Note: I am not arguing the ethicality of copying software, I am merely
>wondering if the software industry has created these problems for
>itself by badly managing their entire industry.
>Copying a $500 software package by buying $5 worth of floppies seems
>to be a situation akin to storing diamonds in open containers in front
>of your house and then demanding the police stand guard lest some
>crook steal them. Certainly the person who stole them committed a
>crime, but if the society responds that perhaps you should store your
>diamonds in some better way is also valid, being as you are obviously
>fully aware of the problem you are creating. And if you cannot come up
>with the solution or find it too expensive (but safes cost money!),
>well, perhaps you are in the wrong business.

Autodesk got bitten badly by the hypocrisy and inherent contradictions of
the software market when it attempted to ship a hardware lock with Release
9 (I think) AutoCAD.  The lock was designed well, it worked on all but a
fraction of machines, and it in general provided a solution to the "open
diamond containers" problem.  It _worked_.

Autodesk removed the lock after suffering a veritable shitstorm of
negative publicity, bad dealer relations, and general vilification from
the trade press.  There was no well-thought-out rationale for the attacks;
no one justified the aversion to the hardware lock.  Indeed, everyone
still decried piracy.  But Autodesk was portrayed as a company hostile
to users, authoritarian, and generally bad, simply because they were
attempting to do the reasonable thing with regard to the problem of piracy!
One CPU, one copy of AutoCAD... it doesn't sound so bad, does it?

If it _does_ sound bad, can you still claim to be against piracy?

(My information on this comes from _The_Autodesk_File_, by John Walker,
New Riders Publishing, 1989.  I don't have the whole story.)

>Perhaps there is no solution. So, therefore, we should subsidize the
>profitability of this industry with billions of tax dollars?
>
>I am not so certain, perhaps you are.

No, I'm not certain.  I wish there were a way to rewrite the implicit
rules of the industry to make hardware locks acceptable... personally,
I think CPU IDs are the way to go.  Most Unix server software is installed
on one particular CPU, and thereafter can't be run on any other.  It's
a hardware lock, but the user doesn't have to know about it, and it's
networkable... hopefully _that_ is the way to go.

mwm@DECWRL.DEC.COM (Mike Meyer, Real Amigas have keyboard garages) (08/29/90)

>> Autodesk got bitten badly by the hypocrisy and inherent contradictions of
>> the software market when it attempted to ship a hardware lock with Release
>> 9 (I think) AutoCAD.  The lock was designed well, it worked on all but a
>> fraction of machines, and it in general provided a solution to the "open
>> diamond containers" problem.  It _worked_.

There are a number of problems with dongles (generic name for such a
creatures). The worst one is that you may have to swap dongles for
every program, or you have to have one port for every such program, or
there has to be some form of extendion bus. None of these is really
satisfactory once you have even a relatively small number of such
programs. I'm not sure what you mean by the "open diamond containers"
problem. If it's the above, I'd be interested in knowing what the
solution was that "_worked_". If it's not the above, then I'd like to
know what the problem is, and probably how it was solved. Also how the
AutoDesk solution solved the above problem.

>> I think CPU IDs are the way to go.

That's what looks like the best solution to the first problem. But it
leaves the interesting problem that it makes legitimate changes of
hardware painful. I've had four different CPUs on my desk in the last
three months due to upgrades. If I'd had to wait N weeks for all/most
of my commercial software - or even a few critical pieces - after
those upgrades, I would have been tempted not to make them.

This also means I can't run software protected in such a way both at
work and at home (such useage is well within the bounds of the
copyright laws), and have to drag my machine anyplace I want to do a
demo that needs said software. This can be a real pain in the ass.

>> One CPU, one copy of AutoCAD... it doesn't sound so bad, does it?

I think I've demonstrated that the real world isn't that simple. There
are legitimate reasons for wanting to run one copy on machines other
than a specific one. Since copy protection only stops causal copying,
and not serious pirates, what's the justification for making users
lifes miserable?

>> But Autodesk was portrayed as a company hostile
>> to users, authoritarian, and generally bad, simply because they were
>> attempting to do the reasonable thing with regard to the problem of piracy!

Based on what I've seen here, I'd say it was deserved. They apparently
took an action that did user no good and caused them noticable pain,
just for the bottom line. Sounds "hostile to users and generally bad"
to me. They also restricted what users can do under the same
conditions. Sounds authoritarian.

	<mike

clw@volcano.Berkeley.EDU (A Ghost in the Machine) (08/29/90)

In article <4678@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> thomas@topaz.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Peter Thomas) writes:
>Brad Templeton writes:
>     >a) Property is misappropriated
>     >b) Real monetary value is involved
>     >c) Enforcement is possible at a reasonable cost
>     >then it is the duty of the police to protect that property.
>
>Brad,
>To some extent this is like asking "How many hostages do we let
>them take before we go to war?"  There are two ethical positions
>possible.  One is the pragmatic view, which you have chosen, and
>the other is the principled.  I think perhaps we spend much to
>much time thinking of the amount of damage caused and whether it
>is "worth it" to pursue wrong-doing.  I agree with making the
>punishment fit the crime--so perhaps a tiny crime should result
>in little more than a harsh word of warning. . .but it
>definitely should not be ignored as if it didn't happen.

	Police departments typically have finite resources, and in large
cities are often overloaded.  They know they will be unable to respond to
a large number of illegal activities, and rather than administering justice
on a first-come-first-serve basis, usually choose to concentrate on crimes
where real damage is being done (especially where lives are at risk).
	In many urban settings this response threshold is dangerously high,
but while I would support additional funds to increase manpower etc. to
lower the threshold, an urban police force with enough resources to pursue
minor infringements would be absurdly (and impossibly) large and expensive.

In article <65@autodesk.UUCP> robertj@Autodesk.COM (Young Rob Jellinghaus) writes:
> The lock was designed well, it worked on all but a
> fraction of machines, and it in general provided a solution to the "open
> diamond containers" problem.  It _worked_.

Except that if *everyone* used dongles you lose big time, as they get in each
other's way physically and electrically. The only way to solve the "open
diamond containers" problem is for the computer to have some sort of dongle
bay. There has to be a standard. It's bad enough dealing with a zillion
companies ideas of how TSRs will work.

> There was no well-thought-out rationale for the attacks;
> no one justified the aversion to the hardware lock.

See above.

> No, I'm not certain.  I wish there were a way to rewrite the implicit
> rules of the industry to make hardware locks acceptable...

Compaq come out with a dongle bay.

The other solution is to ship software in cartridges. That's actually
not a bad idea, but the hardware isn't ready.

Imagine, it's 1999. Your computer comes with a bunch of slots which you
stick software packages in. Each package contains a complete CPU, ROM,
Ram, a multitasking OS, and something like X. When you boot the computer
up the Autodesk module opens a little window in the corner of your display
(by doing network protocols to the display server) that says "Autodesk
Cyberspace". You click it open when you want to use the package. How many
copies are running is totally up to Autodesk.

You can have modules running UNIX, Windows, OS/2, Apple System 7, AmigaOS,
whatever... you don't care. So long as the network protocols are compatible
it's OK. The hardware (say, 32 Meg of RAM, 8 Meg of ROM with a file system,
and the network interface) costs $20 (in 1990 dollars)... it's in the noise.
You can also buy software on disk, but it's generally cheesy stuff... the
good stuff is sold in the package for safety's sake.

(and you wondered what William Gibson's "ROM CONSTRUCT" was)
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`