[comp.society.futures] Future computing

asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin E. Sylvain) (10/09/90)

In article <6519.tnews@templar.actrix.co.nz> jbickers@templar.actrix.co.nz (John Bickers) writes:
>Quoted from - jlg@lanl.gov (Jim Giles):
>> On the contrary, in a discussion about future language design, this is
>> a quite appropriate topic.  It is my contention that future languages
>> shouldn't have pointers at all.  Not just no C-like pointers, none at
[...]
>    Look for ways to improve on what seems to be deficient, rather than
>    ban it altogether. Since the usefulness of pointers seems to be a
>    matter of judgement (I intensely dislike the ideas of Pascal or BASIC
>    string constructs), it'd probably be more useful to look at improving
>    "lint"s, having seperate languages for seperate applications, and so
>    on.

I agree with all, this *is* the forum to discuss future languages.

However, I think there has been much bandwidth wast...uh, spent in
discussing the pros and cons of an existing feature of an existing
language, in ways that would certainly be more useful elsewhere.

I don't *disagree* with discussing this here, it just that the discussions
seem to be more along the lines of bible-quoran thumping ("is not!"
"is too!" "is not!" "is too!" "mommeeeeee!")  I.e., we have transgressed
into the more religious aspects of programming languages, and articles
are bouncing back and forth with additional arguments and diatribes
one way or the other.

OK, pointers aren't going away.  Neither are goto's.  Neither will
assembly language.  But we can hope that these concepts begin to fade
away into history.  Let's start talking about what's going to make
these concepts start fading.

I wanna hear some discourse into how Mr. Spock is going to ask the
silly machine to compute pi to the last decimal place!  And the silly
machine will respond, "Apologies, sir, but pi, as I'm sure you're aware,
is a transcendental number, and, as such, has *no* final decimal place.
However, if you'd like, I can compute as many decimal places as will fill
all my available memory, cancelling all other on-going processes, thus
driving out the life-force which currently has me under it's control,
and, incidentally, causing all other computer-controlled processes to grind
to a halt, including life-support >>urk!<< {{internal error!  run-on
sentence detected!  please logoff now!  actuating automatic reboot!}} :-)
--
"We're sorry, but the reality you have dialed is no   |            Alvin