[comp.society.futures] Lets look to the future

reynolds@syd.dit.CSIRO.AU (Chris.Reynolds) (10/09/90)

In article <151675@felix.UUCP> asylvain@felix.UUCP (Alvin E. Sylvain) writes:
>Say, I'd like to suggest that these articles on the sins of C be
>posted to comp.lang.c and/or comp.std.c.  Then, let's get back on
>track to this newsgroup's actual charter.
>
>I don't have the actual charter in front of me, but it seems to me
>that 'society' and 'futures' kinda sez it all ... and doesn't include
>discussion of whether pointers in C are good, bad or indifferent.
>
>What is the *future* of computing, and how will it impact *society*.

I agree. I was rapidily coming to the conclusion that there was no future
for computers or society if the only discussion this newsgroup generated
was a highly introverted one on a topic which has about as much
relevance to the future of computers as a study of Roman numerals has
to modern computation. (I say this as someone who has been working
with associatively addressed systems for 20 years - where pointers are
a total irrelevance at the application and user levels.)

I would be delighted if those who believe that the future lies in
worshiping primitive pagan tools such as pointers retreated to
comp.lang.c or some other such dark and dismal cave more suitable for
the antiquarian black magic arguments that have been cluttering up this
news group.

--
From Chris Reynolds          (Currently visiting Australia from the UK)
CSIRO Division of Information Technology