[comp.society.futures] Budget deficit reduction

Joshua.R.Poulson@CYBER.WIDENER.EDU (10/08/90)

Since the government is getting really serious about lowering the budget
deficit are we assured of losing the HDTV race?  Are we really finally
going to lose the technology battle?  I'm curious about your opinions on
this out there.

The first things to go in any budget battle are the highly speculative ends
of science.  We've been falling behind in the HDTV fight and there are
hardly any projects as important as this one is to the United States'
economies.  In an era where there is only one manufacturer that makes
televisions in America I think that the budget crisis (sic) is only going
to hurt us more.  Sure, we need to reduce our expenses but we also must
enhance our most effective means of future income.

I think that the budget deficit reduction has come too late to save us.
Now the only way to stay out of debt is to hurt the projects that will keep
us alive ten years from now.

Does anyone have a solution?  Or are we going to fall even further behind
in the world economy?

--JRP [Joshua.R.Poulson@cyber.Widener.EDU]
"I'm a man that's good at saying disturbing things."
Widener University in no way is reponsible for what I say or do.

paul@ukpoit.co.uk (Paul Wood) (10/11/90)

In article <5A0A080B142901F6-MTABWIDENER*Joshua.R.Poulson@cyber.widener.edu> Joshua.R.Poulson@CYBER.WIDENER.EDU writes:
>Since the government is getting really serious about lowering the budget
>deficit are we assured of losing the HDTV race?  Are we really finally
             ^^                                       ^^
>going to lose the technology battle?  I'm curious about your opinions on
>this out there.

Who are "we"? This news goes out world-wide!

Naturally I don't want the Japanese to win the race.
Neither do I want the USA to win the race.
But then we are all biased!

Mind you - I would like the race to be fair (if at all possible).

Paul Wood        | UUCP Mail:  paul@ukpoit.co.uk   | iT: The Information
iT (Unix Group)  | Bang-Style: ...!ukc!ukpoit!paul |     Technology Business
Barker Lane      | Voice:      +44 246 214256      |     of the UK Post 0ffice
Chesterfield     | FAX:        +44 246 214353      |
England  S40 1DY | Postline:   5403 4256           | Who me? I didn't say that!